It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a cure for atheism?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
the atheist denys the foundation of existence. but everyone has their doubts until they see god. you can't know until then. it is our lack of awareness or ignorance that we don't experience him

I thought I saw God once....but then I realized that it probably had a whole lot more to do with the '___'.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by graphuto

Originally posted by decepticonLaura

surely a reveal today
or a reveal in fifty thousand years time
will mean the same thing, in that respect?
either we had free will all along or we didn't.
showing up at the end and going "hey guys, it was me all along" is pretty much the biggest dick move i can think of, ever.

You misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm saying that if God Almighty showed up to every person on Earth and told them to do something, ANYTHING, they'd pretty much just do it. How could you not?

EASY. It's called "Free Will".

Sorry, Hoss...but if "God" showed up someday and told me to go murder a bunch of innocent people...I'm not doing it just because I was told to do so.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tarrasque
Did I ever say that I am an atheist?

I am Thelemic for your information.

Whoa...easy, there.

I really don't think Anne was trying to pick on you, single you out, or dictate your belief and/or non-belief system. It's cool...just chill. I think you might be reading into things a bit deeper than they were intended.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by Patchman

LMAO, dude i watched that Dane Cook show, that dude is hilarious. I choked on my own laughter at that part. Atheists actually believe that when you die, dead is dead, you become wormfood and that's lights out for you. You go to oblivion. It's true too, unless you have Jesus you stay dead forever.

Well...this is truly remarkable.

It may be the first time ever that Dane Cook has been documented to apparently elicit a laughter response from another human being.

Let me wrap my head around this paradox for awhile and get back to you.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished

As it has been said by many throughout the past, "I believe in one less God than you." Monotheists are atheists to polytheists, and 'atheists' believe in one less God than monotheists. I hope you catch my drift.

That is one of the most brilliant quotes that I have ever heard.

Thanks for that one.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patchman
Is there a cure for atheism?

Death most likely renders the subject moot.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Atheism IS the cure.

The disease is investing your life in an invisible man who lives in the clouds.

I don't need a religion to provide me with a moral compass, I was born with one.

Oh, and free will too, that helps.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
... you make me sick.. literally my stomach is a bit ill feeling.... I bet no matter WHAT any of us realistic thinkers tells you about your religion - YOU will be clinging to your beliefs like a life preserver. Please drop your crutch and try walking on your on. You'll discover a world of answers as well as more questions and quickly begin to rethink your perception of our existence. - that is, if your mind hasn't already been permanently sealed shut.

I also have to ask - what is with ankh?
edit on 21-3-2012 by IVofPOLmusic because: couldnt figure out how to seperate a quote and my message....

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
Atheism IS the cure.

I don't need a religion to provide me with a moral compass, I was born with one.

Being devoid cures nothing. This 'disease' you speak of is

A: A description of organized religion, which is NOT the same as faith

and/or

B: Your failure to look past the comfort you find in being empty, and not HAVING to try.

Yes, you were born with one. God says at least three times in scripture that He will 'write His law on our hearts'. Free will, as you put it, enables you to choose. Guess where I'm going to say that THAT comes from, too.

Please, though, don't confuse the Truth with organized garbage. 'Christian' refers to following the teachings of Christ, NOT mormon, catholic, jw, lutheran, SDA or any other 'sect'. THESE are what most aethists consider to be 'Christian', so I don't blame you for having doubts.

Nope, the Truth is about God and His Son. I don't think they're invisble; you've just never bothered really trying to look.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

no i did see that nor was i generalizing all christians. im talking about the ones on this site that post up nonsense.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I hope the OP comes back and explains further his views.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by threewhiteeyes

Atheism IS the cure.

and/or

B: Your failure to look past the comfort you find in being empty, and not HAVING to try.

Yes, you were born with one. God says at least three times in scripture that He will 'write His law on our hearts'. Free will, as you put it, enables you to choose. Guess where I'm going to say that THAT comes from, too.

Please, though, don't confuse the Truth with organized garbage. 'Christian' refers to following the teachings of Christ, NOT mormon, catholic, jw, lutheran, SDA or any other 'sect'. THESE are what most aethists consider to be 'Christian', so I don't blame you for having doubts.

Nope, the Truth is about God and His Son. I don't think they're invisble; you've just never bothered really trying to look.

No...the other guy had it right. "Faith" and "Belief" are the disease right along with organized religion as well.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

i guess its not ok to say a book is comprised of fairytales, but its completely ok to act like a prick, call people hypocrites (with no real proof), label all atheists as racist red necks, and say we are a disease, amoral and whatever else. im not being a hypocrite and i dont go out of my way to bash christians. i only say something when they attack us. maybe we should all just shut the fck up about our beliefs.

im not being judgmental of anyone but the christians who make the rest of you christians look bad, like yourself and the OP for example. anyone who goes out their way to belittle anyone based on beliefs is neither an atheist or a christian or whatever else but simple ASSHOLES.

quit getting so uppity. if people are making profiles on here simply to start conflict between opinions, views, beliefs, or what have you, thats called trolling. those people should be removed. thats all im saying. stupid ass.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCelestialHuman
reply to post by alkesh

I know exactly what you mean.. i am 14 and began asking questions about 2 years ago.. i have now completely abandoned christianity.. It has cost me relationships with family and friends but it was worth it.. i am now in the process of designing my own religion based off of science, the ancient religion illumination, and mathematics. there are many questions to be asked and many discoveries to be made. eventually, humanity will learn the truth and all the secrets of the universe, or at least the evolution of man would suggest this inevitable.. or at least we can hope..

Good for you. Free thinking is the greatest gift of all...no superstituions, boogeymen, or deities necessary.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I stand amazed at the arrogance and ignorance at what I have just read.

First, you and many of these so called atheists seem to have no idea what atheism is. You see, a true atheist would not engage in debates about deities. Atheism is a very simple idea that so very many people are confusing with agnosticism. Atheists simply deny the existence of deities. To be more specific...the type of deities found in Abrahamic and Hindu style religions...deities with traits like personality and individualism -- essentially deities that are based off of human traits and behavior. I can only laugh at the so many self proclaimed atheists that love to debate about god. They are not atheists...they are agnostic and just don't know it. That addresses my comment about ignorance.

Now, about the arrogance. You claim moral depravity yet you are making that comparison based on your own morals -- disregarding the fact that moral values are different around the globe. You seem to have the same moral depravity that you caution against. You are judging everyone that does not believe as you do and condemning them. That is moral depravity at its finest.

Next, superficiality. How can you claim that atheists are superficial? It seems that your beliefs are set in stone and you will not even consider a source of insight unless it comes from the group you have aligned yourself with. I am sorry to break it to you but, that type of behavior is the textbook definition of superficial. I'll explain in more detail. When you reject sources of knowledge that conflict with your beliefs...and the only reason you reject them is because of your beliefs...welcome to superficiality.

Finally, regarding your statement about facts, information and the ability to analyze and judge such. Have you analyzed and considered every possible way of spiritual life known today? If your answer is no...you are guilty of the same thing you claim atheists are guilty of.

A cure for atheism you ask? That's fine. However, I am wondering.....

Is the a cure for a locked mind?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Ok I am an atheist, not the watered down version, but a true strictly following atheist. The misconceptions surrounding atheism, and that which it constitutes is great. The true meaning of an atheist, is one who looks at the evidence for the theory of a supreme being, and has come to the conclusion that there is not enough evidence to support the existence or non-existence of said supreme being. It is not disbelief, but the belief that there is no factual and empirical data, which can prove the theory. Athiest use the scientific method in there everyday lives; to help determine the outcome of actions, not a belief in a diety. A good way to explain what relative to religion would be that instead of calling our figurehead god, we call it nature. There is not enough empirical data in any theory to explain the creation of the universe, or the reasoning and emergence of intelligent life, and for that matter life in general. Therefore as an atheist one is stating that until sufficient data is acquired, one does not form an opinion, so as to allow logic and deductive reasoning free reign. I do not understand why some of those who believe in the theory of a higher power, and those who do not believe In the theory of a higher power; find the unnecessary task of belittling one another's beliefs, logically it is a waste of energy, and has the opposite effect on the intended party. Nobody likes a pushy, rude atheist/ agnostic, just as no one likes an aloof, blindly accepting fundamentalist. The typical reaction of the human psyche, to information which contradicts there own view is that of belittlence, arrogance, and unwillingness to allowed said information to be propagated. This can all be traced back to a time in which change could mean death, to the individual and the group. This is not an individuals fault but is a survival mechanism from long ago, to ensure the continuation of the species. Atheists do not allow this reaction to rule their actions, they wigh the pros and cons of each argument and form thier own theory based upon evidence availabe at such time. We must remember that it is not what one believes that is important, but that they have the right to do so. On all sides there are those who are moral and amoral. The best representation is that of a mathematical bell curve, the majority of all is in the middle to a lesser or greater extent, while roughly ten to twenty percent exist on the extreme outliers of the curve. Logically therefore we come to the conclusion, that like every system in nature, " For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." Isaac Newton In the ranks of those who believe in a higher force therefore there is an equal number of moral and amoral to the moral and amoral of those who do not believe in a higher power.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by threewhiteeyes

Atheism IS the cure.

and/or

Who says my life is empty?

I have a wonderful life, a great wife and kids, and even some grandchildren. I donate to charity and work at the ASPCA one day a week facilitating pet adoptions. I worked for 15 years as a nurse and almost 20 as a Combat Medic in the Army. I don't cheat on my wife or steal from people.

I don't need blind faith to feel whole, but I can see how weaker minded people would. God provides a reason for everything to those folks.

Denver football player plays well, god did it.

Person wins money, they thank god.

Someone dies, it was gods will. Or my favorite, god needed them in heaven.

Someone gets sick, it was gods will.

Someone gets better, god fixed them through prayer.

Things not going well, pray for things to get better.

If you have emptyness in your life you can choose to fill it whatever you want, but don't play the moral compass card, because I can give you a list thicker that War and Peace of "men of god' acting poorly.

So how is that someone like me can live a good life without prayer?

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The "root" Atheist: "A" (no - without) - - - "theist" (god). Anything beyond that is Atheist Philosophy.

There is a funny "sort of" connection to religion. As in "true" religion - - "true" Atheist.

Hard Core Atheists - - seem to think they are the "true" Atheists. You know - - "if you can't touch it - feel it - test it" - - it doesn't exist. You die - and cease to exist.

I would probably fall under Spiritual Atheist (yes there are Spiritual Atheists). I think there is a lot we don't know - - and can't see - touch - test - etc. I don't believe in Mystical (such as God or Angels). I do believe REAL beings exist in many levels and energy vibrations. (or as real as whatever real is). For all I know - - we could be a very evolved real time video game.

ANYWAY - - read this from the American Atheist website:

What Is Atheism?
No one asks this question enough.

The reason no one asks this question a lot is because most people have preconceived ideas and notions about what an Atheist is and is not. Where these preconceived ideas come from varies, but they tend to evolve from theistic influences or other sources.

Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Older dictionaries define atheism as "a belief that there is no God." Some dictionaries even go so far as to define Atheism as "wickedness," "sinfulness," and other derogatory adjectives. Clearly, theistic influence taints dictionaries. People cannot trust these dictionaries to define atheism. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as "there is no God" betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read "there are no gods."

The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings. www.atheists.org...

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join