It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Seismic Readings After Mexico Quake....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Okay, this is a display from one of my websites where I have near real-time seismic displays for all over the world. This page is the United States, but I also have all other regions and they all show the same thing. All stations either show this ....chaotic mass of activity or they show an abrupt end to the trace.

Now, I'm not feeling anything physical here so it can't be how it appears...There must be another cause for this. Incidentally, when I say everywhere, even Antarctic seismic stations recorded this, and recorded that blur of scribbles just a bit different than every other station. That is the other thing, every station has this just a little different, just as they ALL record actual quakes just a bit different from all the rest....

Anyone have ideas of what causes this on every Seismic display across the world? This WAS NOT here a few minutes after the Mexico Quake, by the way... I'd checked all my displays and saw the 7.6 quake on clear charts....this all came after. ??

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Post to keep an eye on this one. Great to have so many folks on here actively monitoring these things.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
You are seeing the effects of the Mexico quake. This is how the seismos always look after a big quake. The further away the station, the longer it will take to register the quake. One of our resident experts may be able to explain it better, but this is very normal and will happen every time there is a big earthquake.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
These 2 places almost 180 degree of each other.
~180 degrees of each other and within less than a minute, something is pulling the earth crust across ?
Gravitational tug of moon ? Planet alignment effect ? Both ? I dont think its coincident ?

7 day overview
edit on 20-3-2012 by NullVoid because: link

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I believe the reason for this domino effect was covered previously on
ats where it's the S waves produced by a large earthquake travel under
the ground and are only noticeable on seismic graphs but are not "felt".
Use the search option I am sure you will find it.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

do you think its possible certian wave legnths can trick a seismic readings with no physcal effects?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PacificBlue
You are seeing the effects of the Mexico quake. This is how the seismos always look after a big quake. The further away the station, the longer it will take to register the quake. One of our resident experts may be able to explain it better, but this is very normal and will happen every time there is a big earthquake.

Thank you for your reply. I figured there must be some logical explanation beyond the idea that we're looking at some super-global quake that no one happened to notice...lol. I'd be fascinated by one of our resident experts explaining in a bit more detail how this works.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hollow earth echo?

That's really weird... I'm in Texas and feel nothing sooooo..... What gives?

ETA: is it possible the waves from Indonesia could have interacted with the waves from Mexico in any way?
edit on 20-3-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I think you're seeing P-Waves registering on those displays…. short for Primary waves.

P-Wave wiki

If I remember right... Geology class was a couple of decades ago...

Could be S-Waves but I think S-Waves can't travel through the Earth's molten core... P-Waves can.

Yep...

S-waves don't penetrate the outer core, so they're shadowed everywhere more than 104° away from the epicenter

edit on 20-3-2012 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Anyone have ideas of what causes this on every Seismic display across the world
Depends on the starting point I guess which is geocentric reported to observer..

And yes an incoming mass event might take place next days

Because the late past events from the sun and other things.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

check these guys out,,,I used to spam them every time the world dint end and got tired of it but they have info of doom up to the minute zetatalk poleshift ning
they will say its reverberation because the earth rings like a bell after a big quake.
then is the earth hollow or liquid magma?
how does it ring if its .........never mind it just goes on , forget it I'm done

if you joint their site, they will ban you for a dirty look
edit on 20-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
"The earth rings like a bell after a big quake" is probably not the greatest analogy of what is really happening when a big quake hits. A bell rings because of resonance in the structure. Whereas in a quake, the shock waves are so powerful they keep on traveling and reflecting off of various earth layers until they are eventually attenuated down to undetectable levels of amplitude.

With a 7.2 like this Mexico quake (yes, the official Global CMT magnitude is 7.2), these waves will keep right on doing what I described above for a couple hours, at least. And they will show up on broadband seismographs like those used on the LISS, at stations around the world- except in the shadow zones. I have often wondered if it was possible that reflected waves on big quakes could actually end up in the shadow zones- although at highly reduced amplitudes.

Perhaps the new ATS resident expert, and director of the PNSN, John Vidale, could take a stab at that one.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NullVoid

It's called the antipode.

www.antipodemap.com...

adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

The seismos after a big quake can look scary if one has not seen that before. It does look like the whole world is shaking.

A big enough earthquake creates a seismic wave that travels all around the earth, spreading out from the epicenter of the earthquake. If you look at the seismos, you can see that an earthquake in Mexico will show up in Texas before it shows up on the East Coast, then in Europe and so forth. But, this is a very simple explanation, so someone else may explain in differently, as I am only an occasional observer of earthquakes, because I live in EQ territory.

This explains P waves and S waves, and has some other good information about earthquakes.

USGS-P waves and S waves

And also what TrueAmerican said above, that is a good explanation of what happens.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PacificBlue

I wonder if this is the reason for the loud booms underground in Wisconsin. Residents there are literally scared, coming out of their houses - almost panicky. Some are talking about selling their houses while they can.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by NullVoid

It's called the antipode.

www.antipodemap.com...

adsabs.harvard.edu...

Thanks for the info, the harvard doc really explains it. So theres a connection after all between Mexico and Indonesia region. No wonder they occupy the 7 days log, it echoes.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

The booms in Wisconsin are probably not caused by the Mexico quake, or at least I have never heard of any thing like that. However, the booms are really strange, and it is kind of perplexing that no one knows what is causing them. I did read the other thread and somewhere it said that the USGS said they are less than a mile deep, or that they were shallow. No clue what that could be.

Those poor people, having to live with constant shaking, hope no one winds up having to leave. Wonder why the booms are only usually heard after dark? I was just sitting here trying to figure out why so many of the stories about booms, but not rumbles (which are heard at all hours), mention them being felt and heard late at night.
Weird.

edit on 20-3-2012 by PacificBlue because: grammar

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Sorry, got pre-occupied today. An M7.5 earthquake will generate big motions, and the seismometers on those charts amplify motion greatly - motion to peg the charts at its limits need not be felt.

The term shadow zone only applies to direct P and S waves - many other waves, and some very big waves, arrive in the shadow zone. Surface waves, PP, PPP, SS, SSS, and others. So the shadow zone shakes plenty, and in general, there is a monotonic diminution of the amplitude of shaking with distance from an earthquake. Except for a little amplification within 20 or so degrees of the antipode, where amplitudes pick up again for some phases.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Very interesting. So if another earthquake happens in this time period, it wouldn't register because seismographs will already be going off like crazy from the stronger one? And I would think that even another 7.2 would at the very least be harder to detect... right? Of course it would be felt, by people, but, I'm just sayin... It wouldn't register on the seismographs all over the world? Interesting.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
For anyone who get around to looking while this is still up....

Global page of Seismic charts (USGS)

I saved it all in PDF and may see about getting it into a web friendly form later but it's something else to see it in so many displays, all so uniformly. I just can't recall seeing another quake that reverberated so uniformly. I'm not saying it doesn't happen...and I've been watching these kinds of feeds for less than a year like this, so I'm learning all the time.

It sure does bring a whole new meaning to the Disney song 'It's a small world', eh?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join