It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Refused the Smart Meter Installation today. Need advice!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
My rant. This really pisses me off in that how people are having these new high tech Smart meters forced upon us.

A few minutes ago, the electric company knocked at my door. When I overheard the discussion of their needing to turn off the power to install the smart meter, boy did I go running out to have my say.

I expressed my concerns to them, using every excuse in the book for the reasons why I do not wish this thing upon my house. The guys seemed to be understanding, however, they said that this isn't stopping the company from the implementation of these smart meters.

The guy told me that down the road , I would have no choice. I was thinking maybe we would use the old meters and maybe pay higher rates but he informed me otherwise. That this was my notice and that they could refuse me service down the road if I did not comply . He also said that this smart meter service would not be started until approx. Aug. And gee, advised that I should move my bedroom around so as not to have my sleeping head up against that same wall the meter is on..

Ok, so for now , I stopped the smart meter... and refused to have it installed but WTH do I do down the road???
Am sure a lot you have been dealing with this issue. How did you handle it -did you win? Please I need advice. Instead of moving around my bedroom , I wish to cont having service with my old meter. But they say , ''nay"" , can't do that...

Please advise.... HELP ATS.
I don't want danger at my door nor on my house! And I wish to have electricity!!
What would you do? What should I do?
This is outrageous-the having crap forced down our throats!

ETA: Oh and the guy said they did a study , that it is no worse than a cell.
Yeah, right... and what will we being seeing down the road after all the guinea subjects have tumors on their heads /brains because of said radiation?
edit on 20-3-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Erm, to clarify, what are the health hazards of the new ones in comparison with the old ones, and do they run more efficiently or cost you any more?

Surely there's no harm done?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
He's right... Down the road you won't have any choice at all. It's already that way in some cases around here. You take their meter or they can give advice on stores with good sales on candles. You'll be needing them by the case..and that's about as much heart as Utility companies have in my experience.

I'd say the best thing to help your concerns...or at least be as informed as possible..would be to learn everything you can learn about the make/model they have at your utility and what it does or doesn't REALLY do compared to the hype. You may be surprised..but maybe not.

Either way, I think learning how these operate so we know the weaknesses is about all we can do. Or.....like I said, buy candles.
They won't be giving any of us any 3rd choices eventually.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Allow it to give you cancer then take them to the bank.
Or, get off the grid.
Or, roll over and take it.

Efficiency is the name of the game, and if they can get by without paying someone they will. Not much you can do except not participate.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Just the same as the so called millage meters. I have a simple way to fix it. Its called a can of metallic spray paint. Either that or cap it with a grounded cage. Then, you can always dis-connect the service.
I couldn't stop the use here as I am in a Apt. Did tell them plain, I have all my old records and if it decides to change my rate, you will have me in your face. They don't like that either.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Are these the meters that, in addition to allowing the utility company to monitor your use and record the meter readings remotely, allow them to also turn off your electricity remotely during times when they need the power elsewhere ('rolling blackouts')?

I'm not sure what you can do if it's a private company. If it's a public utility, you might be able to get yourself appointed/elected onto the governing/oversight board in order to have a better idea of what they're up to.

Or maybe just become a regular attendee at their board meetings so you can be assured that your concerns are heard.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

I have not had the opportunity to be presented with this battle but....

I have to ask, as long as your bill is paid and even in some cases when it is not paid, isn't it illegal to deny people power. I know they do it, but if you fight it, who knows.

On the other hand, tie a vicious dog to your meter and tell the electric company to go for it. Or, you could mount a box over top of the meter allowing a hole to read the meter but attach it to the property so that the meter cannot be removed without first removing your box. Similar to the boxes they put over thermostats in offices. Anything to make it difficult for them.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Thanks for your replies guys... Some of you do understand ..and I appreciate ya.

Look out grid , here I come.

I'm so pissed right now, I need to get some fresh air.
Be back on later.

Was hoping somehow , some waaaay, that maybe we could get the utility company to change their minds. Don't see that happening just yet.... but maybe if we ALL refused them, then they may have second thoughts about using them... but how do you awaken ALL the people to get them to do so?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

After receiving numerous complaints about health and privacy concerns with the wireless, digital devices, Maine's Public Utility Commission voted to allow customers to opt out of the meters, at a cost of $12 a month. Connecticut is one of the latest states to consider smart metering. Regulators declined a request by the state's largest utility, Connecticut Light & Power, to install 1.2 million of the devices, arguing that the potential savings in electric bills doesn't justify the cost. CL&P already offers its customers time-based rates. Attorney General George Jepsen was quoted as saying the proposal would cause customers to spend upwards of $500 million on meters and get few benefits in return, a claim that Connecticut Light & Power disputed.

Full wiki article
Complaining loudly with a large group of people and possibly source out some jamming equipment.
Good luck!
ETA Banned in Holland due to privacy issues.
edit on 20/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Anyone know how they work?
Would putting some sort of jamming device in the vicinity disrupt any communication capabilities?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
For those of you who aren't aware of the potential health risks associated with Smart Meters, check this lecture.

Good on ya, OP. If I see the utility man coming to install a smart meter it will be more of the same. The meter I have now accurately counts usage - I see no need to fix what isn't broken.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I'm sorry for your situation but I think you may be seeing the price of dependence here. You pay them $$ monthly for their electricity which at one point in time used to be a luxury, but for most now is percieved as a necessity.

Origionally the consumer had the power, everyone remember "the consumer is always right"?? Well that doesn't apply when you are completely depenedent on that service and percieve it as a necessity. They can do whatever they want to do because you NEED them...they don't need you...its backwards when it comes to the energy business.

Your options? Its pointless to argue with them you have absolutely no leverege, I mean what are you going to do...stop using electricity? Although that is an option I don't think you will go that rout, so ultimately there is nothing you can do, unless you know how to create and provide yourself with your own electricity, you know...become INDEPENDENT...

Then you can tell the energy company to go to hell.

People will continue learning the phenominal lesson of giving up their independence. Putting themselves in positions where they are constantly dependent on that hand that feeds them that is not their own.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
From what I've read in some places you'll entitled to opt out. The bigger issue isn't about safety comparing it to a cellphone about out it's about PRIVACY! don't let them persuade you otherwise. As they can talk their way out of both. Look into your local laws, call the company, you still may have time to opt out!
For ex.:
GA-Smart meter opt-out bill passes Senate opt out info...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Thank you all for your replies.
Have been studying up on every smart meter * fight club* website that I could find. Am still hot under the collar

We should arm ourselves with legit info and counter their radiation claims as being compared to a cell phone. Oh and these smarties can even piggy back FOR the cellulars.

If I have to print out papers to take to the board meetings, I will do so, and will go so far as to even read them aloud at their meetings!

I still have a lot of bookmarks left yet to read. Have found several cases that were denied against the smart meters: They failed because of jurisdiction and not having properly been addressed nor prepared.

I need all the help I can get in this fight.
Have always been a lover and not a fighter.... but believe you me, I will fight tooth and nail . This is now in my face and I refuse to be subjected to this invasion and health hazard

Several interesting sites I have found to be of interest:

CA is having issues.
langleytoday.ca...
and here:
stopsmartmeters.org...

Interesting read here too.
Skeptics say new meters not so smart
www.chron.com...

Am from Tennessee . Found a TN petition online. So if you are from TN, please do your part what or however you feel led.. I plan to do my part . Whether signing will do a bit of good or not, well it is worth a try. I plan to sign
www.petitiononline.com...

and I also plan on pestering a few individuals.
Governor Haslam and Attorney General Robert E. Cooper, Jr.

This is another good one.
www.willthomasonline.net...

Coalition for Health Against Smart Meters (CHASM)
microwavechasm.org...

and ATS of COURSE
has several threads too.
Educate yourselves and say "no" to the smart meter.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Again, appreciate you all, and if you have ANY more thoughts on how to stop the implementation of the smart meters , I 'd love to hear from you . The battle has only begun for me.

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Found this:

The People's Initiative Foundation is a brand new non profit charity dedicated to educating the public on making change where there is stagnation in the areas that deeply effect us all, but have been overlooked by our government.

A LOT of good info on dangers, etc .

petition for ALLstates. Use your zip code and.
Send to your elected officials and president.!

thepeoplesinitiative.org...
Please inform everyone .
Raise awareness and stop these smart meters!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Today, I called the mayor's office...re starting a ban on smart meters.

Mayor happened to be out of the office so I spoke to the assistant.
Expressed my concerns to the lady. She was a very sympathetic listener ,and had never heard any complaints about the smart meters.
A lot of folks are , well, just uninformed!

After all was said and done, she was kind enough to give me her email address and asked me to send in some info that I had researched. Said she would pass it on to the mayor and others...

Do you think this will wake them up and get a ban started? I do not know but it is worth the try to save us all.
Are I just wasting my time? Will this just fall on deaf ears?

I hope ...pray not.

edit on 22-3-2012 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Just to let you guys know that I received only one acknowledgment from our TN Gov Bill Haslam, thanking me for expressing my concerns, blah blah. out of all of the people I've contacted . Of course, there was no mention of my concern -the Smart Meters -but at least there was a letter template standard reply. Think I'll hear back from others, or the President? I kind of doubt it...

Still ranting... So far, in all the other states, where people are shouting out against these, I have only found a few VOICES that are being heard.

Will follow up with city hall this coming wk ... I just pray they are doing their homework before these get implemented here. I wish for these things to be banned!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

whatts your problem with the smart meter...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Hi purp.
Actually, I thought it was pretty obvious that I am against the things. If you read the post, links, etc. and seek, then ye shall find that many have issues. Did you watch that vid someone posted? Just curious if this was a sincere question or troll.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I never watched the video and it was a sincere question. I am sure they dont come with health benefits. But really most people have all kinds of sources in their environment that emit electromagnetic radiation.

We have radio signals passing through the air, tv signasl, microwave emissions, mobile phones, wifi. Even the humble electric wire emits signals. So why the beef with smart metres..?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join