It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Know What Exist, You Must Know What Does Not Exist

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Musashi Miyamoto said in the Void book of the Book of Five Rings that "to know what exist, you must know what does not exist." I know it's mostly meant for martial arts practitioners but in other aspects of life, does this adage apply as well?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard (not your OP, but the quote within it).

You can't "know what does not exist".... firstly, because if it doesn't exist, it's not there for you to know in the first place, and secondly, because it is rationally impossible to prove that something doesn't exist... unless of course you're omniscient...

but I doubt you're claiming that.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by finalflash
Musashi Miyamoto said in the Void book of the Book of Five Rings that "to know what exist, you must know what does not exist." I know it's mostly meant for martial arts practitioners but in other aspects of life, does this adage apply as well?

I'll give you a more sensible quote from a Zen master:

"Expect nothing. Be prepared for anything."

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
if you think you can,or you think you cant.either way you are correct.
a lawyer who defends himself in court has a fool for a client
the highest mountain is only but a stepping stone to man's will
when life gives you lemons,make lemonade

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by finalflash

Yep, it's seeing through your own delusions basically. Once you clear your delusions away you see what really exists.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Well i live by this code, take what you do not have, have what you cannot take and never hurt anyone weeker than yourself!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Down at the vibrational level of matter there is a lot of space between vibrations in space....

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
This is from wiki:

"By knowing things that exist, you can know that which does not exist."

The Book of Nothing, according to Musashi, is the true meaning of the strategy of Ni Ten Ichi Ryu. It seems very esoteric in nature because he seems to note that you must learn to perceive that which you cannot understand or comprehend. He notes that in this Void, what can be comprehended are things which we do and see, such as the way of the warrior, martial arts, and Ni Ten Ichi Ryu. At the same time, in the Void, things we do not do or see (which he calls Spirit), are part of the information which we perceive on a conscious level, but with which we have no physical relationship. It is arguable whether Musashi is referring to religious spirituality or if he is actually explaining a way to live a life and process thoughts.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness."

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I think it is another way of saying I am that i am.
The 'I' can not know it 'Is' until it sees or knows some 'thing'. It (I) can then say 'I am', it knows it is. 'I' is awareness but it is nothing without things to know (existance).
edit on 15-3-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think I see what he's trying to get at but it doesn't make sense. We know what exists. Even if it is as little as "cogito ergo sum," we still know that something exists. However, we do not know what doesn't exist. If we did the simple thought of it would bring that thing we didn't know existed into existence. Maybe not materially, but abstractly, yes.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by finalflash

The void book expressly deals with "That which cannot be seen".

That which cannot be seen is what is seeing. The awareness of this moment, the consciousness, the knowing that you are here, it is what sees through your eyes and hears. The knowing presence that you essentially are can not be seen because it is seeing, it is knowing and it is always present.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" ~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Eliminating the absurd does free up the inbox when trying to establish plausible reality anchors.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard (not your OP, but the quote within it).

You can't "know what does not exist".... firstly, because if it doesn't exist, it's not there for you to know in the first place, and secondly, because it is rationally impossible to prove that something doesn't exist... unless of course you're omniscient...

but I doubt you're claiming that.

That's like saying that you cannot know n0thing and that's also kNot true.

The Universe is growing BACK into its Once Self, the Infinite Nothingness that was once itself.

Sew there is ONE n0thing I know and I also know none of this is real, which means that while We are in it, it does kNot exist for real but it does exist in its Thought.
Sew with that, I know what exists and what does kNot and when it does exist and when it doesn't, along with where and where kNot.

Does Time exist?

Does God exist?

What "part" of the "you" exists?

The Law of Existence dictates:

"Law of Existence - that which exists, exists but that which does not exist, does not."

While that sounds stoopid, it isn't.

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" ~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Eliminating the absurd does free up the inbox when trying to establish plausible reality anchors.

Calling anything "absurd" automatically eliminates it from the possibilities, thus, by dew'n that it closes your mind to the possibility it isn't absurd.

"You can't teach someone something they already know." - Old Toad Proverb

Once you know its absurd, how will you ever know different?

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by finalflash

The void book expressly deals with "That which cannot be seen".

That which cannot be seen is what is seeing. The awareness of this moment, the consciousness, the knowing that you are here, it is what sees through your eyes and hears. The knowing presence that you essentially are can not be seen because it is seeing, it is knowing and it is always present.

I like it when you quote things, I can understand you and in this case, Pee On!

"There are n0ne so Blind as those that will kNot sEe with their 0ne eYe and n0ne so Deaf as those that will kNot hEar with their 0ne eAr and n0ne so Lame as those that will kNot wAlk on their 0ne f00t!" - Old Toad Proverb

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by de Thor
I think I see what he's trying to get at but it doesn't make sense. We know what exists. Even if it is as little as "cogito ergo sum," we still know that something exists. However, we do not know what doesn't exist. If we did the simple thought of it would bring that thing we didn't know existed into existence. Maybe not materially, but abstractly, yes.

The anagrams for Cogito Ergo Sum =

Our Egotism Cog
Micro Ego Got Us
Outcome Is Grog

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I think it is another way of saying I am that i am.
The 'I' can not know it 'Is' until it sees or knows some 'thing'. It (I) can then say 'I am', it knows it is. 'I' is awareness but it is nothing without things to know (existance).

But what if the "I" doesn't exist?

Ribbit

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

'I' is awareness but it is nothing without things to know (existance).

'I' does not exist.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

That is the beauty of wisdom my friend, it is rationality that is so un rational.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

reply to post by ButtUglyToad

'I' is awareness but it is nothing without things to know (existance).

'I' does not exist.

I is kNot awareness, eYe IS awareness. It's learning there is no I, there is no Me, that's where awareness lies and the only way you will figure that out is by using your other eYe to C IT, for the I/Me of this are the constructs WE inhabit to play out this Question, n0thing more.

e = Energy
Y = The Why of You

eYe = You surrounded by Energy = Truth

Ribbit

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join