It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City To Ban Street-Corner Feedings of Homeless

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
philadelphia.cbslocal.com...

“Providing to those who are hungry must not be about opening the car trunk, handing out a bunch of sandwiches, and then driving off into the dark and rainy night,” Nutter said.

So taco trucks are going to be banned too?

Do these people only feed the homeless in the dark and when it is raining???

The only right way to feed the homeless is at a crowded soup kitchen?

Is it better when people don't have to be faced with the fact that people are homeless and starving in their own city? Is that why you want them to be fed in a more private place?

Can people have picnics at the park still? Or is it only if it doesn't include sandwiches?

So many questions just off this one statement!

I grew up a Philadelphia. This whole story is a bad joke.

#1. What about the guys who sit on the side of the road selling soft pretzels?

#2. This is Philly.... those sandwich trucks you see on TV? Well they really have them. So what about them?

#3. Philadelphia has had no shortage of Homeless people since I was a little kid. I'm 40 now. Obviously the City can not take care of them all, they have proven this over and over and over again. So why try to legislate behavior? Why try to legislate behavior that is actually positive?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Maybe the local government doesn't like how it looks to tourists
to see how many homeless,hungry people they really have.
Having the homeless fed in overcrowded soup kitchens sweeps
the problem under the rug,out of sight and out of mind!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

City To Ban Street-Corner Feedings of Homeless

This is mainly about control... and regardless of whether it is the federal government, state or local, the aim of all bureaucracy is to gain and sustain as much control as possible over the civil population.

In this case, the idea has no nobility but rather, a dirty pedigree that goes back to the Great Depression when the poor and hungry were herded into slums, fed from soup kitchens, buried in pauper fileds and physically blocked from accessing wealthier areas... including city hall.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23
Sanitation concerns are just a dodge, and a revealing one at that.

Sanitation was the same lie that the psychopath Bloomberg used in evicting Occupy from Zucotti Park, as well. Unfortunately, a lot of conservatives on this forum seem to believe said lie, as well.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The mayor should be grateful that volunteer, civic and religious groups are feeding these folks. Perhaps it would be smarter for the Mayor to designate specific areas and specific times when then these groups would be permitted to hand out food. I'm sure Philly has plenty of vacant lots/parking lots that could be used.

It's a delicate issue and the mayor is walking a fine line between business and tourist interests and the needs of actual human beings. I understand why he would say this. But like was mentioned earlier there should be a plan B or alternate place to go. Its not that hard when the volunteers are doing all of the work and absorbing all of the costs.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Maybe if we treat the homelss like the deficit, and pretend it isn't there, it will go away.

If we ignore the issue and press on with our lives it will become a non issue..............right?

What a disgusting law. Making it illegal to feed the hungry? I'm going to be sick.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

. So why try to legislate behavior? Why try to legislate behavior that is actually positive?

Most likely because theres money involved somehow . That, or it is simply because half of people are becoming so apathetic they hate being reminded of their apathy every time they are at the park and see homeless people taking handouts of food. The other half cannot feel compassion and their head spins everytime they try to comprehend how it is that some live like that in 2012.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join