It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous has just released its own operating system: Anonymous-OS

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MattNC

Thats also a possibility. Trojans are simple enough.
People could download it to an alternative computer, use it, and they would have plausible deniability.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42
Strange in deed but what we need is an alternative internet. Maybe they included some p2p additions?
There is, it's called the TOR network.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
You guys, it's Linux for # sake. No such thing as a virus for Linux. Not to mention, if you're not sure how to properly secure your computer regardless of the OS, or know how to use the tools included, you probably wouldn't benefit from this much.

Move over BackTrack, Anonymous-OS, here I come.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by s0l4rn1ghtm4r3

Bad misconception, Both linux and Mac can be infected, Windows viruses are more prominent though because more people have it installed. Also lol @ those saying dont use this while probably running windows XP/Vista/7 With out a firewall at all. (Not that a firewall would do much good anyway if someone really wanted access). The truth is that it doesn't matter what OS you have installed today. Linux and Mac will do nothing but maybe slow an attacker down.

Even servers running Linux/Unix are vulnerable, It's also not just the OS that can make a system vulnerable but the software installed on it, Even Antivirus/Firewall software can be vulnerable to attack and have holes in them that would grant an attacker access.
edit on 15-3-2012 by Esotericizm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fishticon84
This is so lame, its not even an OS made by them really.

I could "make an OS" like they did..
All I gotta do is download Ubuntu, run it, change the theme to my own (black and green witha UFO on the desktop), include some apps like 3D earthquake, timewaveZERO and some other "conspiracy tools", give it a new splash/startup screen, and repackage it under the name "NuttyOS".

I agree with you on that, it isn't that hard making an operating system from the start, if you have the tools, know coding well its pretty much a cake walk.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
its full of trojans

The Anon OS is fake it is wrapped in trojans. RT

— AnonOps (@anonops) March 15, 2012

thenextweb.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I know that there was a Anonymous Linux Distro I downloaded and tried like 2 or 3 years ago. Are you sure this isnt the same thing??

They may have just decided to join the project or re released the Distro and using Anon to get publicity for the Distro.

I wouldn't be worried about any key loggers, trojans, whatever as this should be released with the Source Code and unless there is some new Packages that no one has ever heard of and are new it probably has packages that are fairly normal for a LInux Distro.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Anonym.OS and anonymous-OS are two different distros, no?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD & INSTALL IT
It's fake and full of trojans. If you have installed it good luck to you. Here is an official post from AntiSec/ Anon

AntiSec.
Anonymous OS Linux distribution that was passed around yesterday is in fact fake and full of trojans. We did not post link yesterday cause we know better. But if you tried / did download that then good luck to you. *Salutes* AntiS3curityOPS.

edit on 15-3-2012 by Fo20twentyFo7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by s0l4rn1ghtm4r3
You guys, it's Linux for # sake. No such thing as a virus for Linux. Not to mention, if you're not sure how to properly secure your computer regardless of the OS, or know how to use the tools included, you probably wouldn't benefit from this much.

Move over BackTrack, Anonymous-OS, here I come.

Okay install it.

Kids these days...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by s0l4rn1ghtm4r3
You guys, it's Linux for # sake. No such thing as a virus for Linux.

That is one of the many false claims the Linux crowd makes.

vx.eof-project.net...
vx.netlux.org...
www.securelist.com...
www.vxheavens.com...
www.vxheavens.com...
www.securelist.com...
vx.netlux.org...
vx.netlux.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.vxheavens.com...
www.symantec.com...
sourceforge.net...
www.securelist.com...
www.securelist.com...

I could go in

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
This is the stupidest creation since their crappy computerized voice in their videos. I still can't make out half of what they are saying.

Who would download an OS developed by hackers?

Are you using Windows? Or OS X? Or Linux? Or even BSD Unix?
They are all created by hackers.

Wrong definition of the word is being used, again.

Either way, the Anonymous OS is just a rip off of the multitude of GNU/Linux distributions containg pentesting environments.

Such as this one with a decent reputation: distrowatch.com...

They are not typically used by quote "hackers", but rather security experts. Say for example you wanted to keep people out of your network/computers you would pentest your own local network with readily available tools in a similar fashion as to what a quote "hacker" would use.

If you can defend against most of the publicly available tools by using them on yourself you can increase your computers security 2-fold.

All this AnonOS really is, it's just an ubuntu remix with an anonymous wallpaper and some "custom icons" lol.
Backtrack linux is even based on ubuntu these days, so if anyone is wanting to check out a pentesting environment out of curiosity then go for backtrack.

I think most of the anonymous mouthpieces on twitter (anonymousirc, anonyops, youranonnews, barretbrownlol) they are all saying it's full of backdoor software. so don't trust it, there are even better alternatives available for securing a network, such as backtrack.

Of course, these tools can be used in the wrong way, but only an idiot would use them for breaking into other computers.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

This is the stupidest creation since their crappy computerized voice in their videos. I still can't make out half of what they are saying.

As funny as it sounds, no matter what OS you currently use, it was also developed by "hackers" (okay, I knoiw you meant the derogatory version of the word "hackers"

Before that word was perverted into a bad meaning, it was commonly used to describe programmers and code writers... Of course I'm sure you already know that, but I couldn't resist bringing it up.. Mostly, it has been the media's propaganda to deviate the word's meaning IMO..

Hearing this news inspires me to go through that OS and check it for backdoors, maybe this weekend if I have time.. This would be a worthwhile thing to do, because now I'm really curious to see if this is a boobytrap of sorts from some gov. agency...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I agree... but I wouldn't call a bunch of 30 somethings living in their parent's basement hackers... I call them unemployed... part of the 8.3% (more like 17%)
edit on 15-3-2012 by OptimusSubprime because: stupid tablet

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

I don't know that I can trust the idea that there is any true anonymity on the internet anymore. I'm a little computer-savvy and have delved into the linux world before, but i don't know enough about the inner workings of an OS to know if I'm really identity-protected. Plus Anonymous creeps me out. good idea for a vigilante group, but since they are *ahem* anonymous and obviously have enough power to mess with governments, I'm just not sure if they're double-agent material or not.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Just came across this on twitter.

Anonymiss

Anonymous itself denounced the OS almost as soon as announcements and download links for it hit the ‘net.

“The Anon OS is fake it is wrapped in Trojans,” tweeted the usually reliable AnonOps account on Twitter.

edit on 15-3-2012 by Kali74 because: fixed link

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I installed this it is just Ubuntu with anon tools.nothing to call home about. no viruses no red war button just some tools you will find on backtrack dristro. I do like the look! I might strip it and keep it for a flash drive distro.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42
Strange in deed but what we need is an alternative internet. Maybe they included some p2p additions?

We should find a way to digitally transfer short wave radio into text and then go back to using short wave?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Maybe anon could make a Ubuntu distro for real... And Then list a bunch of Ip's for when the DNS goes down...

And if not them, someone should, I'm just too lazy.... So that someone isn't me :p

Is anon behind the end of march DNS attack, or is that something we are lead to believe?

Anyways, I like the idea of a site map of ip addresses, who wants to start it?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TimesUp

You won't be laughing in the near future when they regulate the internet to death and the only thing it will be good for is searching commercial advertising content.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join