It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire nation of Kiribati to be relocated over rising sea level threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

In what could be the world's first climate-induced migration of modern times, Anote Tong, the Kiribati president, said he was in talks with Fiji's military government to buy up to 5,000 acres of freehold land on which his countrymen could be housed.

Source

This is sad to see and could have been unbelievable had it not been predicted by scientists years ago that glaciers melting would cause sea level to rise due to global warming. Wow! an entire nation...looks like more of smaller nations like this will be engulfed by sea too and then it will affect the main continents.
edit on 8-3-2012 by Ek Bharatiya because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
link doesnt work

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Yea mate, Fix it or delete it.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Link

It's a pity, looks beautiful there:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dyllels

It looks beautiful... because of the rising sea levels lol.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Sorry about that guys, link corrected now in op.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
This is very sad news, and I fear that it's just the beginning.
I hope I'm wrong, but the increase in the solar flares are slowly heating up the core. The core will dissipate the heat outward and cause an increase in the melting of the poles. This in turn will raise the sea levels with fresh water. The fresh water will slow down the oceans tidal conveyer system and only make things worse. I pray for the Lord Jesus Christ's holy intervention.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

The sea level is not rising.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hudson88
reply to post by dyllels

It looks beautiful... because of the rising sea levels lol.

Too true

But there comes a time when that extra bit of water transforms your beautiful island living-room into a slushy puddle.

Last year he suggested the possibility of constructing man-made islands like oil rigs for people to live on.

They are just proposing plan after plan, but never setting anything in motion. They seem to be just looking for funding at the moment. Funding for education and planning and research, etc.

Hmmmm, smells fishy

edit on 8-3-2012 by dyllels because: spelling

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
yep,havent seen the link but i think its about bora bora

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by binkbonk

Tell that to the population of the Maldives!

2nd

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I havn't got time to investigate right now, but I very much doubt tis is due to rising sea levels, due to the fact sea levels are not rising.

More likely the land is vulnerable to tidal erosion.

Cursory glance at the photos provided shows a sandy island surrounded by currents which will wash away the sand and move it around which happens in all sorts of places.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The sea levels are rising?!? When was that confirmed?

Just figured that would be news or something...lol

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
And yet there is a report on climate depot that 'warmists reach tipping point, sea levels have been falling for 4 year. Arctic sea ice is normal. Antarctic sea ice is normal. Temps are below 30 year mean, and haven't risen for 15 years' end of quote. Hmmmmm, just dont know who to believe anymore.(I do believe its not humans fault, there is no concrete evidence)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
No, of course, the sea isn't rising, the land is sinking!

Again I say "Tell it to the population of the Maldives"

starred and flagged the thread!
edit on 8/3/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by binkbonk
reply to post by Ek Bharatiya

The sea level is not rising.

From 1950 to 2009 global average sea level rose at an average rate of around 1.7 ± 0.3 mm per year and at a satellite-measured (1993 to 2009) average rate of about 3.3 ± 0.4 mm per year. It averages out to about 2mm per year.

Source

This Graph shows that since 1910 there has been a steady increase, with the total increase being around 20cm.

Not believing the scientific data can only be called aversion to science.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

Hi here's another link on rising sea levels and accelerating glacial melt into the Oceans (from NASA),

"Twentieth century sea level trends, however, are substantially higher that those of the last few thousand years. The current phase of accelerated sea level rise appears to have begun in the mid/late 19th century to early 20th century. Twentieth century global sea level, as determined from tide gauges in coastal harbors, has been increasing by 1.7-1.8 mm/yr.Most of this rise comes from warming of the world's oceans and melting of mountain glaciers, which have receded dramatically in many places especially during the last few decades. Since 1993, an even higher sea level trend of about 2.8 mm/yr has been measured from the TOPEX/POSEIDON satellite altimeter. "

www.giss.nasa.gov...

Here's some info published in the Scientific American related to these Islands.

"Rising seas have already swallowed up two uninhabited islands in the Central Pacific. On Samoa, thousands of residents have moved to higher ground as shorelines have retreated by as much as 160 feet. And islanders on Tuvalu are scrambling to find new homes as salt water intrusion has made their groundwater undrinkable while increasingly strong hurricanes and ocean swells have devastated shoreline structures."

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Kiribati consists of hundreds of little islands.

Oh wait... only 32.

Kiribati, is an island nation located in the central tropical Pacific Ocean. The permanent population is just over 100,000 (2011),[5] and the island nation is composed of 32 atolls and one raised coral island, dispersed over 3.5 million square kilometres, (1,351,000 square miles) straddling the equator, and bordering the International Date Line at its easternmost point.

Hard to believe they all have issues.

Sounds to me like they just want public housing.

There is a book about Caroline (the island) and in the end it gets turned over to Kiribati and wrecked.

Cool book.

wiki Caroline Island

Wow, $75 for a paperback. I think I gave away my copy...
Book Together Alone

K
edit on 8-3-2012 by kawika because: added link

edit on 8-3-2012 by kawika because: add quote

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

yes I could see sand being eroded as you mention, however these islands are coral atolls, I know ocean acidification (CO2 absorption) is going on but haven't heard that these atolls had been affected that badly by bleaching yet. (I.e. corals losing their photosynthesing bacteria ...leading to death and hence not building anymore.) Also corals can only grow so fast, they have to stay near the surface to survive, so if the water rises too rapidly then they will die and then erosion will do the rest.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dyllels

Here is a link that shows some very cool pictures of these proposed new floating islands. They are called "lilypads". The pictures of the submerged parts of the island are very cool, talk about a view! It would be fascinating if we were able to build one of these cities. I would sure want to be a tourist to one!

pruned.blogspot.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join