It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan lottery winner cut off from food stamps by Department of Human Services

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
If I won the lottery I would buy a 40 footer and you would never see me again. Outta here...

Food stamps...Ha. "Well, I thought they would cut me off but they kept sending the checks so I cashed em, after taxes I only had 700 thousand left out of the million"

Source link here

Amanda Clayton was receiving $200 in food assistance benefits per month despite winning $1 million in the Michigan Lottery's game show "Make Me Rich!" in September 2011, according to a report from WDIV Channel 4 in Detroit.

DHS policy requires food stamp recipients to have no more than $5,000 in assets. Recipients must notify the state within 10 days of asset or income changes.
“DHS relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual financial status,” DHS Director Maura Corrigan said in a statement. “If they are not, and continue to accept benefits, they may face criminal investigation and be required to pay back those benefits.”
DHS said it supports pending legislation that would require the Bureau of State Lottery to notify DHS and the Unemployment Insurance Agency of individuals who win $1,000 or more.
The bills were drafted in response to news reports last year of a Michigan man who continued to receive food assistance after winning $2 million in the “Make Me Rich!” Michigan Lottery game.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
From the Horse's Mouth:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I'm taken what there giv'n cause I'm NOT work'n for a liv'n

Great video!

edit on 7-3-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
One word...
...karma.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
How about PAYING back Michigan taxpayers,now that she has some money ?

Its ONLY fair....

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
If they think they should not have been cut off. They are supposed to talk to or write to the proper person in charge of things. Not in their city,but in washington.The guy's information is usually on the back of the card holder.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

O trust me the state done taxed that money she won, maybe even the city she lives in taxed it also. I know a few years back my own city passed some bs where if you win over 100,000 they will tax it also. “What garbage”

As for the person just leaching …what a shame!
Isn’t anyone thankful for anything anymore?

(and I aint talking about the semi-big win from the lottery )

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sippy Cup

Being Taxed on the money she won,and paying back the money she was given,when she was enduring tougher times is a whole other story. Now that she has the money,now that she was caught still using the money,even though she "knew" it was wrong,should even be more of an incentive to get the funds she was being given,from the winnings she still has. Before she blows that also,and asks the State for assistance again. Heck,she should be forced to sign an agreement that she will NEVER ask the State for assistance again. If she cant learn to live off this money,or invest this money,properly,the citizens of Michigan shouldn't have to be penalized for her own stupidity. Funny,that she won the money,while having NO job,while those who do work put the money INTO the Lottery,for her to win !

Ironic........Shes been leaching off the Taxpayer,at every turn.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Ok I do agree with you , at first I thought you was suggesting she pay back all assistance before she hit the lotto. I see what you meant now: she should pay back the money she received from lying! and I can agree with that
And my first post really was geared towards the idea that the state is an abuser of its people anyway. They will take , take, TAKE and TAKE from us and expect even more. She doing the same thing (its wrong) Playing the game.... USING.

EDIT: there is good programs out there that do HELP people in times of need and these programs I have received myself and I never took advantage of and have been very thankful for them.
edit on 8-3-2012 by Sippy Cup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Stuff like this disgusts me. I finally got a temporary job working 4 hours a day 5 days a week at min wage after almost 2 years of busting my butt during waking hours putting in app after app, being turned down over and over, fighting with hundreds of others for one position at almost every job I applied to; after a few months I'd reapply and have the same crud happen. My child and I use food stamps to stay alive. I don't have tv, etc blah blah blah. TAlked about my situation enough on here. Should be my danged signature. Anyway. I stll need those to survive as the hours I get (which I'm grateful, it feels SO good working again though i'm SORE, haha) but if I won the lottery, my GOD I'd feel like a horrible foul less than human to suck off the system! She should be ashamed x's 90000000.

She has two houses and a brand new car. My son and I live in a tiny apartment for 300 a month, don't HAVE a car period.... ugh. People like her make me wretchedly ill.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
Stuff like this disgusts me. I finally got a temporary job working 4 hours a day 5 days a week at min wage after almost 2 years of busting my butt during waking hours putting in app after app, being turned down over and over, fighting with hundreds of others for one position at almost every job I applied to; after a few months I'd reapply and have the same crud happen. My child and I use food stamps to stay alive. I don't have tv, etc blah blah blah. TAlked about my situation enough on here. Should be my danged signature. Anyway. I stll need those to survive as the hours I get (which I'm grateful, it feels SO good working again though i'm SORE, haha) but if I won the lottery, my GOD I'd feel like a horrible foul less than human to suck off the system! She should be ashamed x's 90000000.

She has two houses and a brand new car. My son and I live in a tiny apartment for 300 a month, don't HAVE a car period.... ugh. People like her make me wretchedly ill.

Been there done that but thank god I was childless in those days! I feel for you my friend, but keep your chin up, it'll get better. Back on topic:
She didn't come across as too terribly bright to me. looking into her dead eyes I'd say her IQ is hovering around 65 & looks like an Obama supporter. She'll be on skid row inside of 5 years.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by don rumsfeld

She didn't come across as too terribly bright to me. looking into her dead eyes I'd say her IQ is hovering around 65 & looks like an Obama supporter. She'll be on skid row inside of 5 years.

I laughed a bit harder at the 5 year anniversary though!

That money is gone in 4 months.........Bank on it! (No Pun intended) Really............

edit on 8-3-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Its ONLY fair....

Problem is it won't get back to the tax payers it will just go into the crooked politicians slush funds.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Originally posted by sonnny1

Its ONLY fair....

Problem is it won't get back to the tax payers it will just go into the crooked politicians slush funds.

Oh hell, hawkiye,cant I dream this country isn't as crooked as you and I know it is?

Star for reality.........

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Wow...

"I have bills to pay, and I have two houses" plus "I am unemployed" Uh, why don't you sell a house then?

What a dim wit.

Hope she gets a rude awaking, how ignorant of her.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I don't understand why most people think it's normal to pay for basic food in the first place.

Food is supposed to be a human right, not a privilege.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

If you grow it yourself it is free.... No such thing as something for nothing. You pay somehow no matter what.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Nothing selling in MI just now...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kawika

In this case, she should have done the honest thing and reported a change in her earnings.

Not doing so is a big no-no because then you end up owning a state agency and they don't play around when it comes to getting that money back!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Instead of getting angry over this, look at it as incentive to better YOUR life.

If more of us stopped letting our rage out and put it somewhere productive, maybe they would be the ones with a brand new car, etc.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join