It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Police state. Invasion of privacy. Nothing is safe anymore.

No more need be said.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There is a reason why this is done specifically with prison guards.
As a prison guard you are not allowed to have contact with the outside world that is not under surveillance by the department. This includes posting of things online. This is also why prison guards cannot carry laptops, cell phones, or anything else that allows outside communication from the facility.

The reason for this rule is to prevent inmates from using “unofficial”, unmonitored channels to threaten or harass victims, their families, law enforcement officers, lawyers, judges, and the like. Unfortunately guards get blackmailed by inmates, or can accidentally allow inmates access to outside communication from the prisons.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

yeah but some of us have frends that love to push the envelope and post thing just to cause chaos and extra crap for those that make fake fb profiles so they dont have that stuff on their walls my frend lost her job cuz some one posted some pro palestinian stuff about a bombing that killed people and her boss let her go for conduct unbecoming or some bs like that just cuz you want it private dosent mean all your idiot frends will listen....

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Same logic applies to any high security job - and any position that might bring a person into the public eye. Politicians, athletes and other entertainers, lawyers being considered for judgeships, almost anyone can come under public scrutiny, and be tried and convicted decades later

Young people do not think to the future - but have a reach never before possible. Unlike us with our "youthful indiscretions," kids today are not and will not be cut any slack whatsoever.. ...We really are into a new ballgame, and cannot rely on anonymity any more, if we ever really could.

Much as this issue is about the First Amendment, it's also quite pragmatic as LadySkadi pointed out (more or less). We ALL have to be practical, sensible and businesslike about the whole matter. ...When TSHTF in the press, it doesn't matter what the legal verdict might be - there WILL be fallout and payback. Best to cover your butt from the get-go.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AuranVector

May I suggest you keep a hardcopy of your online accounts with all that info -- i.e. fake birthdates, etc. on hand.

Did that, but hid it so no one would find it, forgot where I put it.

..."Oh what a tangled web we weave..."

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

How are you in any conflict before you are hired? Maybe after you are hired could pose a problem. Any job? I disagree with the intrusion for minimal jobs looking at backgrounds even for a warehouse job.
Some jobs deserve scrutiny.. any bank related job and embezzlement.
To work in a warehouse? I think the States/Feds are overboard and look at it as an ACLU issue.Discrimination

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Ditch it, or make a "front" for these agencies only to see, if this goes on and is not stopped. If you need/have/or want to use it, go under an assumed named. For colleges really? REALLY? It's wrong and not to be taken. You're not a slave consumer.

"I can't believe some people think it's OK to do this,” he said. “Maybe it's OK if you live in a totalitarian regime, but we still have a Constitution to protect us. It's not a far leap from reading people's Facebook posts to reading their email. ... As a society, where are we going to draw the line?" Op Source

totalitarian regime

totalitarian regime

totalitarian regime

edit on 6-3-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Thats why I am really a 14 year old girl on Facebook who goes by the name of Ashleigh Tinsdale and likes Justin Bieber, teXting, and doing my nails and talking on the phone, and Ugg boots.

I noticed your avatar says "The Hunt is sweeter than the Kill." ...Should we be drawing any conclusions here? Making any calls?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

yeah Ok lets get back to reality. Employers definitely search you out through google etc. I tell my kids all the time to watch what they post and I think I will personally shut down their account when they are 16

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I genuinely have not got a facebook account. I have never used it or twitter (absolutely zero interest, actually rather creeps me out). People never believe me when i tell them that though.

i'm right there beside you brother.
if i want to talk to some one i pick up the phone or go over to their house.
no need to tweet here, and i damn sure not gonna like someone.

edit on 6-3-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
can't you just change your password when you get hired.

it would be an interesting court case if you get fired after you've been hired for not giving your new password.

it would be worth it just to make legal history.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

This technology which is meant to make life easier and more connected ends up making it more complicated and possibly hindering us. It seems like every month reveals a new way in which it is used to oppress and control us.

It has nothing to do with technology. Take the tech away, and the powers that be will still be oppressing us.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Oh, I got a password for those snoopy fascists: FoffandDIE.

Getting a job is less about a contract between an employer and an employee to do a job, and more about examining our pee, snooping in our past via credit reports and health records, having access to our private social networking sites, and being treated like indentured servants.

And for LESS PAY now, too. Gee, it just keeps getting better and better for the American worker, doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I'm for running an entrapment sting on them.
Contact someone in HR who you know is opposed to this.
Generate fake photos and posts prior to the interview and say no, but reluctant say yes as long as it is noted this is under protest.
Have the HR plant record proof that you weren't hired, and take the evidence to court in a law suit proving you were denied a job based on fake photos and posts.

The only way to stop this BS is to hit them where it hurts and that's in the wallet.
Hit them hard, hit them often.
It's not a matter of getting rich either before anyone says that, this is genuinely to help prevent people from not being hired over BS.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Interesting Catch-22 for those of us old enough or wary enough to not want anything to do with cell phones, Iphones, Twitter or Facebook.

You tell them you don't have any of those, they don't believe you or see you as a Luddite. Either way, you don't get the job...

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Demand they log into theirs first so they can prove to you that they arent just a creeper who got lucky enough to do interviews. Facebook constantly deletes my accounts for breaking their TOS, but I havent had a job for 9 yrs lol (self employed ftw)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Maybe they just want to see how you're doing at Mafia Wars?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Here's 2 possible solutions to the problem................

1. Don't use Facebook in the first place ?

2. Give them your current password and immediately go and change it to a new one ?

Just a thought !

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
This story makes me feel really good.

I have had a gut feeling never to join facebook or similar sites. This proves that my gut feeling was correct and I am proud of myself for listening to it.

Employers behaving like this is only just the start of the problem. It is not going to get any better. They will just crave more power as time goes on, and the more people that submit to them, the more they will think they can push it.

Learn to survive outside the banker's world and you won't have to tolerate being treated like this. If you depend on money to survive, the sad truth is you are an employer's bitch and have no choice to put up with whatever demands they put upon you, if you want to live.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Slightly off topic, I had a guy phone me on my land line, wanted to know if I would like to buy a cell phone, I said 'no' he then asked how do I keep in touch with family etc., I asked him how did he get in touch with me...........

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join