It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archers and Bow Hunters...Share Some Secrets!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I was sighting in a new bow this weekend and thought a little about some of my fellow bow hunting friends!

They all have little tid bits of advice on their secrets to success (I have a few of my own)...so I thought I would share a bit and see if there are a few of us bow enthusiasts here on ATS!

So...I'll go first...with a couple of things:

First...never buy cheap arrows or tips...and make a distinction between arrows for hunting and those for practice (try and keep them the same weight though)!

Something like this is for targets...about .46 grams:

Something like this for the hunt...about .42-.48 grams:

Second...good sights...spend a few extra bucks on the nice LED 5 pins (lighted is nice) and spend the time to shoot a few hundred arrows before the big hunt (standard 20, 30, 40, 50...and the massive long shot of 60+ yards) sighting in your bow!

Something like this...a few dollars...but well worth it:

I imagine I could go on for days about what to do and not to do...but I am sure there is a ton of advice from my fellow ATS'ers when it comes to archery...so share away!

I am currently hunting this bow...and tuning it up!

Set at 85 lbs...with a 30" pull...fiber optic sights (lighted)...and it is holding a 3 inch pattern at 20 yards...I am happy with it!

Oh ya...one other thing...a good trigger release...something adjustable for draw length and sensitive enough that it is responsive...like this:

Targets too...these work great...allowing four targets and making adjustments simple...if your in range of the target at 20 yards...you can fine tune it to millimeters (if your steady) four shots at a time!

edit on 2-3-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Wow...massive thread fail...are archers obsolete now days?

Oh well...what to do when the gun runs out of bullets and you can't buy more...sticks and stones time!

Review link before posting a new thread...LINK...hmmm...reminder to self!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

I have only bow hunted for 2 years now and this thread seems like it would be helpful, to me atleast.
I was wondering what kind of secrets your talking about. Are you talking about hunting secrets or bow in general secrets. Hope to see some post that become helpful.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silicrikk
reply to post by jerryznv

I have only bow hunted for 2 years now and this thread seems like it would be helpful, to me atleast.
I was wondering what kind of secrets your talking about. Are you talking about hunting secrets or bow in general secrets. Hope to see some post that become helpful.

All secrets...bow secrets...hunting secrets...sighting secrets...shooting secrets...etc...anything that makes sense when it comes to archery!

Scents, blinds, gear, etc...there is an art form to bow hunting, and to shooting...and there are a ton of secrets to art...so everything is helpful!

Maybe I should have put this thread in "survival" or "weaponry"...I just don't see archery that way though...I mean sure it is a weapon (so is a frying pan in the right hands) and ya a bow could be considered a survival tool (who is going to grab BOB and the bow)...so I just anchored it here in general chat!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
A decent peep sight well adjusted can mean success...or failure when your sighting in your bow...and in your hunt!

Again this is a few dollars...but money well spent if you want to be "Robin Hood" when you let your arrow loose!

Remember..."vegetarian" is an old Indian word for "bad hunter"!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
This should have been a good thread...so I am officially promoting it!

Bump...from the old days!

join