It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Weather Forecast for Friday 3/2/12

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Thanks for your concern, and thanks again to everyone that supplied updates yesterday.

In my little area in NC, we were in the red initially, but it looks like the tornadoes that touched down closest to me were still many miles away, SW of us.

We got some rain and thunder and incredibly high winds but it didn't develop into anything more than that in our area. It's cold now, and we're expecting snow.

My heart is going out to everyone that experienced the full force of these storms, and to those further down in NC, GA, etc. that may still be experiencing them. Prayers are with you all.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

It's so very good to hear from you.

Stay warm. We are gathering branches here too today, but nothing like Henryville and other points south, west and east. I spoke this morning with a friend from Homeland Security who is on call today and was working logistics last night during the storms. Where all help can be given will hopefully emerge soon.

Today will be a very difficult day for a large part of our country.

Glad you are ok and may you stay warm and safe. From my farm to your mountain top, I continue sending prayers.

Peace to you Des.

edit on 3-3-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

We very much do, and that includes 'you', so glad you are ok. we all are...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

That picture of the man hugging his dog just tears me apart.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
reply to post by Destinyone

It's so very good to hear from you.

Stay warm. We are gathering branches here too today, but nothing like Henryville and other points south, west and east. I spoke this morning with a friend from Homeland Security who is on call today and was working logistics last night during the storms. Where all help can be given will hopefully emerge soon.

Today will be a very difficult day for a large part of our country.

Glad you are ok and may you stay warm and safe. From my farm to your mountain top, I continue sending prayers.

Peace to you Des.

edit on 3-3-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

Thank You so very much DWW. I''ve put a call in to local search and rescue to find a drop off point to take some goods.

Living a prepper lifestyle, I've extra to donate to areas that need it. When I find out what they are asking people to donate, I'll post it here. Right now, I'm putting together some boxes with clean warm blankets, sheets, a few boxes of large plastic bags for gathering belongings scattered about.I'll wait before packing any food supplies, until I hear from them.

DWW, so glad to hear you and yours are doing OK.

I can't help but wonder, how Mother Nature decides whom to bless and whom to curse. I am so blessed....and I don't know why.

Des

edit on 3-3-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Glad to hear everyone here is safe and sound.

This storm system is still going with tornado warnings in Georgia and South Carolina.

Last Updated 11:17 a.m. ET (CBS News) The National Weather Service has updated tornado warnings Saturday morning for parts of Brooks, Effingham and Lowndes Counties in Georgia; and Jasper County in South Carolina. At 10:33 a.m. ET a developing tornado was detected by the weather service 7 miles west of Boston, Ga., moving east. Earlier this morning the weather service's Doppler radar reportedly indicated a tornado located near Scotland, Fla., moving east about 9:41 a.m. ET.

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 3-3-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
MY question is where does it go once it travels out to sea and what will the repercussions be? This is a wind like I have never seen before with a force that has a mind of its own.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

You know I do not ever remember seeing those warning for tornadoes ever reaching all the way across the nation and ended in boxes forming above and on Florida.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Did 'someone' have an inclination about the ferocity of this storm and its projected path of destruction? I am thinking about all the movement in FEMA and the NG prior to the event.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

asala have we heard from TheRedNeck? I recall last April I think it was, him having the experience of a lifetime and was hoping he would check in with us. His thread was an incredible testament to human ability and bravery imho.

Have had him in my prayers since yesterday, have had all of the affected areas and people. Even my 96 almost 97 year old Grandpa saying prayers for everyone last night as I tucked him into bed, I believe in him and his connection to the Lord.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I was on a thread he created earlier, he last posted around 9:00 AM this morning.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I was looking at the map this morning, seeing
how far this storm had gone and held together.
I have never, ever seen this happen either.
I wonder if it will now sweep all the way down
thru Florida and the Keys.

I think we are in for some record breaking
Spring weather.
Take care.

edit on 3-3-2012 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

Link please? what was the thread about? Thanks

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Have you looked at the global patterns of this wind? I know you are great at maps and such things, is it going to go overseas and affect our friends in Europe before it circles back again for the heart of tornado season here in the states? Is it Scotland where this all ends up? Sorry I am horrible with world maps...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I am not an expert by any means but
I would think it would calm down after
hitting the cold water of the Atlantic.
But I suppose it could sweep thru
Florida.

Surely it wouldn't make it to Europe

edit on 3-3-2012 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Storms like these are a bit like the "Fire Triangle". In order to have Fire, you need 3 things:

Fuel, Heat, Oxygen. Remove any one of those and the fire goes out.

Storms are a lot like that. To have a strong thunder storm you need: moisture, instability and lift.

Moisture is pretty much self explanatory. The Gulf of Mexico helps provide that moisture sweeping in from there up north into the midwest and SE United States.

Instability is the astmosphere's tendency to enhance or deter vertical motion. Unstable condistions, a lift of air will be warmer than the surrounding air at that altitude. Because it is warmer, it is less dense and can rise more. This favors a storm's updrafts and downdrafts.

Lift provices the way for the air to rise, starting the thunderstorm process. Lift can be cold fronts, warm fronts, drylines and the flow up the slopes of hills and mountains.

Once these storms move out over the ocean, they loose that lift. Again, like the fire triangle, you remove one of the ingredients, and the storm will literally loose it's energy and go away.

So a line of thunderstorms along say a cold front, normally will go away once they head out over the ocean in many cases.

Weather fronts will push the storms in a west to east movement, however the storms themselves will flow along the front, from south west to north east. If you watch the radar images from yesterday (and today), you can see that movement: IE the whole line of storms are being pushed to the east, but the storm cells themselves are moving along the front from the SW to the NE.

Yesterday's storms are not unheard of. 1974 for example saw a very large outbreak too: 1974 Super Outbreak there were 30/40 F4/F5's and 148 tornadoes overall on that date.

Last year in April, for 3 days we had a super outbreak: 2011 Super Outbreak

Here's a list of North American tornado outbreaks going back to 1671. Of course the further back you go, the spottier the information because of the lack of weather record keeping:

North American Tornado Outbreaks

If you look, you'll see the greatest fatalities that ever happened was in 1925, but as you get closer to present day, the number of people killed get's lower and lower. I think that's in part of weather predictions and people being alerted more in advanced.

If you look also, it seems that from 1980 on, there are larger numbers of tornadoes, but we have to be careful with those numbers, because reporting tornadoes as you go back was harder to do. So it's better to look at 1980 onward to present day.

Becareful also on that number, as you need the word "confirmed", as it's possible for a single tornado to be reported several times, and mistakenly adding to the count of actual tornadoes.

I suppose someone could take this data and make a graph, but will need to allow for errors in reporting, non-confirmation and of course the lack of reporting in years past.

Hope people find the information interesting in any case.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Not much time now.

Going into hallway.

Tornado on the ground in se Georgia.

Love and peace to all.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

But what made this outbreak an outbreak and not just a regular winter thunderstorm? Though Tstorms are not at all regular in winter. There might be lift and instability, but is it enough heat? As mentioned above somewhere we in Moscow rarely see a thunderstorm at +20-+22C. Just some weak rain showers. And I believe we have the same amount of lift and instability as anywhere else in the world (on our coordinates)? Those storms are just not normal at all for a Russian, so forgive me if I ask those questions. How can what is supposed to be a meager Tstorm evolve into something that produces over fifty tornadoes and goes through half of the United States?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Not much time now.

Going into hallway.

Tornado on the ground in se Georgia.

Love and peace to all.

Wow,take care and my thoughts are with you!
Be safe.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What do you want God to do? Send you an email?

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join