It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Class-Action Lawsuit Against Monsanto Is Dismissed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Say I have a field of Organic corn and a Monsanto strain infected my crop.

If I distrubute that harvest I could be sued by Mansanto for selling one of their genetically modified strains, because it is their patent. They created that strain in a lab and obtained a patent for it.

Now not only do I have to contend with my crops forever being tainted by their un-natural strain, I have to worry about Monsanto suing my ass for their screw up. ...what a country.

...Now, if my crops become contaminated by their godzilla strain, can I sue Monsanto for the breach? I'm sure I could, but in this country, whoever has the attorney with more fat-cats in their pocket, wins the day. It becomes disheartening, overwhelming, and an outright attrocity. I'm already broke, I can't pay the legal fees to keep up with these guys. No attorney wants to take my case because of who I am up against.

...This country isn't what it was 50 years ago. It used to be a farmer could make a decent living selling their crops to whatever vendors wanted them. Now big corporations ie: fast food chains and grocers, have deals with Monsanto to buy only their crops. Whatever customers are left are then barred from purchasing said crops through a court ruling. Thats a monopoly, and it's disgusting.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Seems to me the fact that Monsanto filed 144 suits between 1997 and 2010 constitutes a real threat - and therefor should be dealt with legally. ...Reality counts more than promises.

Hope the agency goes for an appeal. Good luck.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake

Daniel B. Ravicher of the Public Patent Foundation, said the decision “to deny farmers the right to seek legal protection from one of the world’s foremost patent bullies is gravely disappointing.” op source

Well, we know who pays the court.

Disgusting.

edit on 27-2-2012 by dreamingawake because: quote added.

There is no "legal protection" for individuals or small groups like this. The only ones getting legal protection are the corporations.

RE
VO
LU
TI
ON

When is it time? Seriously?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

I agree, and that is very frustrating. It's insane. Where I live, we have mandatory recycling. If I don't comply, I'm subject to fines. If my car doesn't meet emissions standards, I have to pay up to fix it. All while Monsanto continues to dump its chemical poisons all over the planet and our food with impunity.

edit on 28-2-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Seems to me the fact that Monsanto filed 144 suits between 1997 and 2010 constitutes a real threat

Yea - seems the judge overlooked that fact or she's just a goodhearted pollyanna who likes to believe corporations keep their promises...../sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
I dont want to live on this planet anymore.

monsanto is working that for you as we speak

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
and had engaged in “a transparent effort to create a controversy where none exists.”

Are they serious?.............................

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jesiaha

Yes, they're serious. A "controversy" in it's legal meaning is required before a court can step in to do anything. One side has to have wronged the other side in some way.

In this case the farmers were saying "We are afraid that at some time in the future Monsanto might sue us." The judge looked for the wrong done to this group of farmers and said basically that Monsanto hadn't done anything to them, so they can't drag Monsanto into court and force them to defend themselves.

The farmers needed a "controversy" in the legal sense before the judge would listen to them. They couldn't put one together so the judge really had no choice.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Ah yes ''Legalese''...didn't take that into account

Guess they'll have to wait untill the damage is done and get sued for intellectual property infringement

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This is garbage! One day criminal enterprises will be held accountable for their horrendous deeds, and by golly I hope I am alive for it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I had a feeling this would happen. Monsanto is now in control of a large sector of our nation and they are above the law. If you need proof use this dismissal and the mountain of other evidence that waits to be discovered by you and shown to others who you care about. To allow people to consume dangerous substances is to place a death sentence over them. Anyone with a family and a conscience understands just how big this really is. Just look it up yourself I challenge any non-believer in carcinogenic substances being added through pasteurization and other processing methods to look up cancer causing milk and processed meats. Spend 2 minutes and see what you find.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I think this judge is ass backwards ... I just don't think there is a mistake... she understands that the farmers are suing Monsanto for contaminating their organic crops! You have to be either a complete moron or on the Monsatan payroll .......

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Judge Buchwald is just another puppet on many strings who are controlled by the Masters of puppets who protect the Corporate tycoons. Had she ruled in favor of the Organic farmers like she should have, then the powers that be would have just bitch slapped her in some kind of way, or had her replaced or eliminated.

Fact is, these monsters will stop at nothing to complete their agenda. One of Monsanto's former big wigs is in the madman Obama's Cabinet. Obama is just another stooge for the elite. How about that change Obamabots? It's not "yes we can", it's "Yes he can". When it's all said and done and the manchurian canidate stooge Obama is finally voted out of office, it will end with "Yes he did". = Screwed us all, including his weak minded, sheoplized followers.

Goldman Sachs was one of the madman Obama's largest political contributors, second to only The University of California. Then you had Harvard University, Microsoft Corp and Google Inc. Many more as well.

Guess who is the number one contributer to Mitt Romney's campaign this time around? = The International Banksters of Goldman Sachs. Which means, Romney will be nominated and will win The Oval office.
~SheopleNation

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Here's the statement released by the lead attorney for the organic farmers -

While I have great respect for Judge Buchwald, her decision to deny farmers the right to seek legal protection from one of the world’s foremost patent bullies is gravely disappointing. Her belief that farmers are acting unreasonable when they stop growing certain crops to avoid being sued by Monsanto for patent infringement should their crops become contaminated maligns the intelligence and integrity of those farmers.

Her failure to address the purpose of the Declaratory Judgment act and her characterization of binding Supreme Court precedent that supports the farmers’ standing as ‘wholly inapposite’ constitute legal error. In sum, her opinion is flawed on both the facts and the law. Thankfully, the plaintiffs have the right to appeal to the Court of Appeals, which will review the matter without deference to her findings.

foodintegritynow.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Monsanto is like the beast from hades. I'm begining to wonder if they can be stopped at all. This ruleing is horrid news, i hope there appeal fares better but i'm not holding out much hope.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Let's not forget to add in the fact that the puppet Judge Buchwald already understood that her judgement would be appealed, which therefore makes her even more of a manipulative, retreating coward who shovels her Constitutional responsibilities over to the next yes man, payed robot Judge. ~SheopleNation

edit on 28-2-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Check that bank account for the judge -- I'm betting there's going to be a tax free yacht in his near future.

Maybe he'll go to Vegas and win a few million on one bet -- who knows?

I'm pretty sure that the LAST thing involved here was Justice.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by becomingaware
Say I have a field of Organic corn and a Monsanto strain infected my crop.

If I distrubute that harvest I could be sued by Mansanto for selling one of their genetically modified strains, because it is their patent. They created that strain in a lab and obtained a patent for it.

Now not only do I have to contend with my crops forever being tainted by their un-natural strain, I have to worry about Monsanto suing my ass for their screw up. ...what a country.

...Now, if my crops become contaminated by their godzilla strain, can I sue Monsanto for the breach? I'm sure I could, but in this country, whoever has the attorney with more fat-cats in their pocket, wins the day. It becomes disheartening, overwhelming, and an outright attrocity. I'm already broke, I can't pay the legal fees to keep up with these guys. No attorney wants to take my case because of who I am up against.

...This country isn't what it was 50 years ago. It used to be a farmer could make a decent living selling their crops to whatever vendors wanted them. Now big corporations ie: fast food chains and grocers, have deals with Monsanto to buy only their crops. Whatever customers are left are then barred from purchasing said crops through a court ruling. Thats a monopoly, and it's disgusting.

Can't we sue on behalf of God, for Monsanto ripping off the prior art of nature and using uncompensated IP?

This country may not be what it was 50 years ago -- but 50 years before that, it's EXACTLY how this country has been run for most of it's history. We had a brief time after our Constitution, and after FDR when the little guy even had a chance.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
Check that bank account for the judge -- I'm betting there's going to be a tax free yacht in his near future.

That would be in HER "near future".

I would guess a deposit into her already bloated Swiss Bank account. That's just me though.

I'm pretty sure that the LAST thing involved here was Justice.

Without a doubt, I agree. ~SheopleNation

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jesiaha
reply to post by charles1952

Ah yes ''Legalese''...didn't take that into account

Guess they'll have to wait untill the damage is done and get sued for intellectual property infringement

Maybe we should take Monsanto Seeds and start dropping them in the crops of their competitors -- just so some of these Leviathans can start eating each other.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join