It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Appling Co. (GA) man shot after refusal to surrender

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Appling Co. (GA) man shot after refusal to surrender

www.wtoc.com

The Georgia State Patrol SWAT team was called in to take over.

At around 8:55 a.m., Dixon came out of the house armed with a shot gun and refusing to surrender and lay down the weapon.

The SWAT team had to take action and shot Dixon.

Dixon was taken to Appling HealthCare where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19-2-2012 by broahes because: To add a picture

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I'm posting this story with the article title from the source, but this young man (31) was an Iraq War veteran that was injured while serving his country and was in the process of being treated for PTSD. None of this is mentioned in the article, but I feel it is an important part of the story.

I knew him personally, though it was from before his time served in Iraq. I am not calling foul, or anything like that.. but I feel the article does a great disservice to James and his family by not mentioning any of this in the article. Perhaps they will in the coming days.

One of the things that really stands out as odd to me is that, after the police were there, he was able to leave his home and go next door to his parents and then return home before the shooting occurred. It sounds like someone dropped the ball in some way there at the least.

QUESTION FOR MODS: If I find a source for his service, can I change the title of the thread? Thanks.

Thoughts?

www.wtoc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Tragic, I hate to hear of deaths of returning service men and wemon who obviously didn't not get the help they needed to integrate back into society. PTSD is a very troubling issue that can affect our veterans and their families for the rest of their lives.

We need to bring our men and wemon back and stop these wars before it destroys our nation from the inside out.
edit on 19-2-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

This unfortunate story seems to be the norm now a days. To clarify, I'm talking about the police using deadly force in every situation possible. If the police had that much time to set up and clear the area why not take the time to maybe talk him down? This is becoming an epidemic across the country. And the ironic thing about it is that there are a lot of police officers with combat training. Many of the officers are veterans that probably need mental help as well. This may explain the quick decisions to use deadly force time and time again.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by txjab512

I was just talking with some friends and family about the fact that many of LEO's are veterans, and was surprised to here (the group was 50% vets) that this does worry them. I have a high degree of concern about this as well, vets that have been in combat even after police training and phsycological screening will more than likely respond with deadly force in situations that trigger the fight or flight response.

I have a great deal of respect for our returning vets, but I am not sure if law enforcement is the best job for them

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I agree 100% that law enforcement probably isn't the best idea for returning vets, especially considering the large number that come back with emotional issues such as PTSD, and the lack of real treatment that they receive to help in the recovery process. It seems like that's what they want though, as there has been a real push for getting them into LEO positions or security jobs over the recent years.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by txjab512

Yes, given the fact that they were there to begin with, I can't see how he was able to leave his home and go to his parents and then return. So many questions I have about this. When he left his home, did he have a weapon that that time? Shouldn't all the exits have been covered from the home so that he couldn't slip out to begin with? Why was he allowed to re-enter his home? There was plenty of time to secure the area, as you said.. I have far more questions than answers at this time though. I just hope that the investigation is thorough and clean.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
MODS, please close this thread, as it is the same story as this one: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I was unable to edit, so I started this thread with the update of important details.

new topics

top topics

join