It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you mean american english is the only install option?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
ARAAGHAGAHAR When using/installing computer programs I instantly get anoyed at the languge options if there is only American English and not British English. Am Ithe only one this anoys?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by definity

Buy British software?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Well keep in mind that often software is written by guys like me ... I only know English!

I shouldn't have to know every language in the world to write software
.. now if you're a major software company like Microsoft or Adobe .. there's no excuse.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

No, you are not alone.
In Australia we aren't stuck ups, we kept British English because its the true form of the English language.
America has just mutilated it and replaced words where they saw fit.

As for that comment about "buy British software". Lol all your American software is made in India so your one to talk.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I noticed it has brainwashed you.

'Programs' is American English, programmes is Britsh

Having to find if the locale setting is UK, GB, Britain or England gets me.
edit on 15-2-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm not anoyed at american english infact i quite like some of thwe words/slang you guys come up with, but I was just installing "Steam" and there was only American English so I spose I should get used to "lazer" instead of "laser" and "ton" rather than "tonne". Mabey the fact I'm dyslexic don't help and the spelling messes with my head. AARRRRGGGHHH words.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe

AARGH see, and I always get picked up on this and makes me look dumb but im not. Honest!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

As for that comment about "buy British software". Lol all your American software is made in India so your one to talk.

That's insulting.. but I guess it was intended to be .. My Aussie friends don't use proper English by the way, there's lots of invented terms in there.. but slang is universal
.. even British people don't use proper British English in this day and age .. slang is a cancer!

- Me ( American software developer )

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Well keep in mind that often software is written by guys like me ... I only know English!

I shouldn't have to know every language in the world to write software
.. now if you're a major software company like Microsoft or Adobe .. there's no excuse.

Ha yeah I dont mind small independant programmers so im not angry with you guys at all if anything I would say slightly jellous because I have been trying to code for years unsucsessfully
but I'm talking big companies like steam and such...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
You just have to learn to ignore all the red coloured sqiggly lines.

Canada gets stuck in the middle, so I don't think anyone can say we've misspelled something, unless we really butcher the spelling. We use part American, and part British when we spell.

I don't think anyone has an app for that...

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I feel for you on this one.

I don't mind American English at all generally and to be honest I think a lot of American English makes perfect sense.
Color and Colour is just one example.

Problems do arise though when I need to send a letter or e-mail to a prestigious British company and the damn spell checker converts everything to American English!

It's a pain in the Butt....or (bottom) to be honest but hey if an American guy or company make the software that I'm using, it's up to them what language they install and I respect that.

Funny though.....Pain in the bottom just doesn't have the same ring to it

edit on 15-2-2012 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

That's insulting.. but I guess it was intended to be .. My Aussie friends don't use proper English by the way, there's lots of invented terms in there.. but slang is universal
.. even British people don't use proper British English in this day and age .. slang is a cancer!

- Me ( American software developer )

No its not insulting, if your insulted I think you need to harden up.
Actually Aussies DO use proper english, which is the British english. We spell the same way they do, and pronounce words like they do.
Those Aussies that don't use proper english is because there are cultural differences between Australia and the UK. So we might have some made up words etc, "fair dinkum".
But that doesn't stop us from spelling and sounding the words from the British english language.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

No, you are not alone.
In Australia we aren't stuck ups, we kept British English because its the true form of the English language.
America has just mutilated it and replaced words where they saw fit.

American English is the way it is because it was formed by many europeans from different places and most of them were illiterate as education standards were very, very poor when America was first settled, The fact that the english became quite unpopular in america around the time of the civil war probably didn't help much either...

So what they ended up with is a somewhat simplified version of English that has, for better or worse, began to infect all other forms of spoken and written english around the world.

This used to annoy the hell out of me but i came to realise that it is just proof of the resiliency and superiority of the english language as it can be morphed and added to and still be understood.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I don't mean to lower the tone but this thread just reminded me of one time when I was chatting on a wholesale forum and I asked an American guy if he could supply large quantities of knickers.

His reply was "Knickers" what in gods name are "Knickers"

Another board member quickly replied, "I think it's a British term for "Pantyhose".

Now Pantyhose just doesn't cut it with me.

I could never imagine saying to my wife, "Could you remove your pantyhose please?"

She would look at me like I was some major geek lol

I'm not being disrespectfull it's just that I think some American terms are superb but others don't quite wear so well and Pantyhose has got to be one of them.

Surely the term must have a Germanic origin, as hose in german means trousers in British English or pants in American English. But pants in British English means underwear.
Now if I said to my wife " Can you remove your pants", she would understand what I meant although panties would be more appropriate.

Wow confusing or what lol
I wonder if Anglo American English will ever become one.....I mean truly one accepted on both sides of the pond and wider incorporating our Canadian and Australian cousins?

edit on 15-2-2012 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by definity
I'm not anoyed at american english infact i quite like some of thwe words/slang you guys come up with, but I was just installing "Steam" and there was only American English so I spose I should get used to "lazer" instead of "laser" and "ton" rather than "tonne". Mabey the fact I'm dyslexic don't help and the spelling messes with my head. AARRRRGGGHHH words.

lol... and that's Maybe, not mabey... but we all understood what you were saying so whats the problem right.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

The strange spelling of some British words is because they were once pronounced differently.

I too tend to favor US spelling as it generally fits the current pronounciation better.

British companies wont be offended by US spelling. What does offend us is printers and their insistence on switching to Legal paper size all the time.
edit on 15-2-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: Very fat thumbs

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Methinks ye doth protest umm... wrongly!

Usage notes

Usage of program and programme:
US: program is the only spelling normally used. Programme is sometimes used to refer to the printed sheet or booklet listing performers or activities in order of their appearance; program is used to refer to the performance itself.
UK: programme is used in all cases except for computer code, in which case program is generally used. Older sources may use programme for computer code.
Canada: program prevails; both program and programme are used.
Australia and New Zealand: program is endorsed by Australian government style; program and programme are both common.

And I know it's accurate because I saw it on the internet!!1

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by definity
ARAAGHAGAHAR When using/installing computer programs I instantly get anoyed at the languge options if there is only American English and not British English. Am Ithe only one this anoys?

In "American" English, we would say "annoyed at the language options." We Americans really changed that a lot! Sheesh! I Totally see what you mean.

I had NO IDEA "British" English is SO different!

edit on 15-2-2012 by MzMorbid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Older sources may use programme for computer code.

Looks like I'm an 'older source' then. Thanks for reminding me of my age

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Older sources may use programme for computer code.

Looks like I'm an 'older source' then. Thanks for reminding me of my age

I was actually surprised to find that us in Aus use the US spelling.

I always thought a programme was what we watched on the telly, but I always used to program my own code.

we live and learn..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join