It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compact Florescent Light Bulbs Gone Wild!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Cool.

An elderly pi$$ing contenst.

Though I think you may want to check your reference. It does not contain evidence to support your claim.

It refers to just about every reason a bulb could blow except your own.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nkultra
Has anyone heard anything negative about LED bulbs other than low light output?

ya...There expensive!! other than that they are very efficient!!

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Don't buy the cheap CFL bulbs at dollar stores (99cent stores ECT ECT ) they are substandard ones made in china and in some cases may be rejects that should have been scraped.

The off label ones they sell are extremely cheaply made and are unsafe.

Get your CFL bulbs from a well known company name

If the ballast housing comes apart on your CLF bulb that is one sign that its a substandard one in that the good ones are glued so that you would have to break the housing plastic.
sound.westhost.com...

One thing to look for in a UL number,on the light housing many of the dangerous ones have it only on the package or no UL number

This does not rule out counterfeit numbers being used by the Chinese but its less likely to be the bad ones

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by smurfy

Cool.

An elderly pi$$ing contenst.

Though I think you may want to check your reference. It does not contain evidence to support your claim.

It refers to just about every reason a bulb could blow except your own.

Well, as a bass player, I've seen much more, and including light bulbs, lying at my feet. No matter, has nothing immediately to do with what I already said. As for the given reference not supporting my claim, it surely does since my reply to another poster was about exploding lightbulbs, and yup, they do explode. My personal experience about the spear is an anecdote from me, and it happened. There could be one simple explanation, the stem shot off caused by other events that are in my reference, because it was not properly secured in the first place.
edit on 10-2-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I have never seen an incandescent explode

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by PapagiorgioCZ
LED is the future and big business already - that's the only reason why it's still so expansive. We just need more better and cheaper LEDs from China.

How about North America start making its own LEDs and take business away from China while raising tariffs and taxes simultaneously on imports FROM China.

Of course. If it would make LED cheaper asap. That's the main point. I mean no taxes on any LED to let useful technology grow. Because we all obviously need to get rid of CFL.
Oh, the sun is rising. I should switch that 23W, 2700K CFL off and have some sleep.

gn

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

so what your saying is it is the realistic outcome of unchecked greed,

i agree with that, someone or something needs to put it in check, our discussing it here is the start of spreading awareness which is the only way we may hope to get such a check put in place

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by nkultra

Wake up 'cause most if not all of you are using monitors with the same chemicals in them.

Just sayin'....

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Here is a link with the colour emitted by LED-light bulbs:

www.lumicrest.com...

I guess this is the way to go. The light is very similar with the natural light, giving you a very good mood
especially in the long winters with short day-light. In regards to price, 30 000 of hours for the LED-life would bury about 15 average incandescent bulbs. and about 4 fluorescent ones. God one for some years, always on (LED one), guess it is somewhere around 20 000 hours still perfectly fine.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Alchemst7

Yes, Iv heard that the LED light are not very great for the health of the eyes. Not sure what to say about it, we are now using TVs and Monitors based on this light, hopefully we will not be a land of the blind one day lol. I used them for several years now, my eyesight is not affected yet haha.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
LED failing video. They at least do not contain mercury.

House fire from a CFL failing

I like the old safe bulbs better.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have had two CFLS break at my house. They are not very fun to cleanup

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

I replaced all of my bulbs with CFLs when they came out. My eyes are fried! I'm not sure if it is from the bulbs, computer monitors or just old age. I like the illumination of the old bulbs much better.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2ndFUTURE
LED failing video. They at least do not contain mercury.

***snip***

House fire from a CFL failing

***snip***

I like the old safe bulbs better.

The LED failing was a setup. He knew it would fail and therefore it is safe to surmise that he rigged it to fail.
Proof of nothing except what it looks like when you purposely make it fail.

The CFL started a small fire. Well - here we don't know what quality we are talking about.
It has been established on many occasions that if you buy cheap stuff you get cheap stuff. And cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The problem with CFL is not in the technology of the tube, albeit the Mercury and Palladium metals used that could be released if they broke, but they usually don't. The problem is the power supply, and inverter circuit , very similar to the inverters used in your laptop to supply voltage to the CFL's that are backlighting your LCD.

These circuits are the real problem with this technology, and the MTBF is way lower than the that of the tube element that they are driving. The world does not really understand this all yet, but it will soon. The waranty that you get on the lighting unit is based on the CFL, not the power supply, and that is how they get out of all of their litigation when they claim these things will last a lifetime. The semiconductor rectifiers used in these inverters cannot sustain the life of the CFL , and that is an engineering fact. So......... taken as a unit, they are a bad investment, as reference to their cost (10x incandecent), and the life (about the same) vs. the cost of electricity for incandecent..... Go with LED lighting which just needs a partially rectified ripple DC current and a simple resistor and capacitor..
edit on 12-2-2012 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2012 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

We DO make them here. Just down the street from me actually...

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join