It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introduction to alternate practices?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Allow me to begin by saying that I view myself as an exceptionally rational person. I do not suscribe to theroies that cannot be proven and am not the type of person to beleve in that which can not be weighed measured and quantfied. However because of my rationalsm I am forced to admit that there is much I do not, and can not know, that there are things which defy explanation, and that science, though the greatest tool ever devsed for understanding the world we live in, is not infallible. I have always held a dim view of magic and of those who claim to practice it, and must admit in the interest of honesty, that I have usually viewed those who claim to practice it as either fools or mentally unstable. However recent musings have forced me to reconsider these beliefs and question the validity of my views.

I am by any measure of the word a successful man. I have a lucrative job which I enjoy, a loving wife, good friends, and an enjoyable life. I am not the type to seek meaning outside of myself as the life I live provides ample meaning. However reviewing my successes, and the way in which they came to pass I am forced to admit that in many ways I have been practicing magic all along ,though I did not recognise it as such untill recently. If this statement seems strange allow me to explain.

5 years ago I was homeless, living in a public park and struggling just to survive. I had no home, no job, no friends, and no faith. Then in what i consider to be a seminal event in my life a random encounter changed the course of my life forever. I was talking with another unfortunate outcast, when he mentioned that while panhandlng, a man he had asked for a quarter had done somethng strange and given him a book instead. he was complaing about it as he had wanted money, but I was intrigued. I assumed he had been given a bible or some other religous text, and though I was wrong it was not by much. When I asked to see the book in question I was surprised as it was a "self help" book. I asked if I could have it, and as he could not sell it he agreed. The book in question was Think and grow rich by Mr Napolean Hill. As I read the book I began to see many of the mistakes I had made outlined within the pages, and began to wonder whether my lamentable situation was of my own design. Resolving to change my station in life I began to implement the strategies outlined within. In less than 6 months I had a home and a job, within 2 years I was making more than I ever had before. Today I have attained successes I never could have concieved of prior to that day.

Though the book is full of various strategies for success its primary message is that faith, when mixed with emotion can achieve startling results. That by concentrating on ones goals, by visualising those goals coming to pass, and by infusing those visualisations with strong emotion, one can shape the nature of thier own reality. It further states that the nature of the emotions present in ones mind, and the beliefs one has, determine ones luck. Those of who who practice magic may perhaps notice similarities with magical theroy.

Untill recently I never viewed what I was doing as magic, there are no rituals which I perform, no incantations which I speak, I use no symbols, nor do I have any tools or talsmans, yet the theroy is the same. I now wonder whether there is any difference between what I attribute my success to, and what those of you who practice ritual magic do. I wish to explore this avenue further.

What would those of you, with more experience than I, reccomend as a good primer or introducton to magical theroy?

[edit on 16-9-2004 by mwm1331]

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
"and by infusing those visualisations with strong emotion, one can shape the nature of thier own reality. It further states that the nature of the emotions present in ones mind, and the beliefs one has, determine ones luck. Those of who practice magic may perhaps notice similarities with magical theroy."

Great story of Rags To Riches< could you elaborate more on what you meant by"The emotions present" determining luck, What emotions?
Parker

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Very simple, that fear of something attracts what you fear, I.E. if you fear poverty you will most likely be poor, if you have a negative personality negative things will happen. Also That while visualising your goal if you infuse your visualisations with negative emotions it will go wrong. The idea being that your emotional state determines the course of events in your life.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Can anyone reccomend any books, websites, etc. which could act as a good primer to magcal theroy?

Cug

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Well the best primer for (Ceremonial) Magick would be "Modern Magick" by Donald Michael Kraig. Reading this first will help you read/understand books like Aleister Crowley's "Magick in Theory and Practice" and Franz Bardon's "Initiation Into Hermetics". But remember Modern Magick is a primer and tends to over simplify or skip some things.

93 93/93

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
There are lots of good sites out there. For starters, I suggest:

The Hermetic Library
Internet Sacred Texts Archive
Crowleyania
Twilit Grotto's Esoteric Archives
The Alchemy Web Site

Have fun!

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Hecate, thanks for the links, What I am really looking for is a basic step by step guide to rituals. Basically a "dummies guide to ritual magic" I am most interested in glamours, I.E. the abillity to inspire trust and confidance, increasing my abillity to convince others, becomming more persuasive etc. I am most interested in being able to inspire via voice as most of my business is conducted by phone and I have very little trouble when face to face. Can you reccomend anything?

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Out of curiosity, if you went from rags to riches using a self help book why are you looking for magic type books now?

The mind and the power of visualization are amazing things. I would suggest taking a look at Eckankar
www.eckankar.org...

Also, I would recommend books by Neville. "Your Faith is your Fortune", "Awakening your Imagination", etc. I don't know his first name so I'm providing a link that has a list of his books (towared the bottom)

www.imagination-institute.com...

Sorry I dont have any info on rituals or magic, but thought these might be of interest to you.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Jemmnson - I was having a discussion with a friend about occlt practices when I relised tht many of the strategies and practices I had been using were very smlar to occult practices. I decided to look into it further.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I was having a discussion with a friend about occlt practices when I relised tht many of the strategies and practices I had been using were very smlar to occult practices. I decided to look into it further.

Thanks for explaining. I hope I didn't come across as critical in my post. I was just curious. I have that 'if it ain't broke, why fix it' mentality and since what you did seemed to be so successful I was interested to know why you were looking to possibly change.

Your story is amazing! I'm glad you shared it with us!

Jemison

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Hecate, thanks for the links,

You're welcome.

What I am really looking for is a basic step by step guide to rituals. Basically a "dummies guide to ritual magic" I am most interested in glamours, I.E. the abillity to inspire trust and confidance, increasing my abillity to convince others, becomming more persuasive etc. I am most interested in being able to inspire via voice as most of my business is conducted by phone and I have very little trouble when face to face. Can you reccomend anything?

Psychology. And no, I'm not kidding. You can start here: Classics in the History of Psychology

Rituals are the easy part of magic. The real work is done within the individual.

join