It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origin of Ancient Jade Tool Baffles Scientists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

The jadeite jade source, if found, would be "something geochemically extraordinary," the authors write in the paper, to be published in an upcoming issue of the European Journal of Mineralogy

Source

I find this really interesting... I love collecting rocks. I love turquoise and jade...etc.

I thought I would post to see if others find this interesting and provide an opportunity for others to add their thoughts.

##SNIP##
edit on 4-2-2012 by relocator because: added another link

edit on 4-2-2012 by relocator because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Feb 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: REMOVED INAPPROPRIATE LINK

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

edit on 4-2-2012 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
One question about this....They keep refering to this as being jade, but considering the differences that they state about it, how do they know that this IS a form of jade?

Perhaps it's something completely different, and is NOT jade. It's possible considering that it has some much differences between it and other known examples.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ancients Traveled 1800 Miles for Pretty Axes

The items were found on the Caribbean island of Antigua and date from between 250 and 500 AD. They could have only come from a primary source in far away Guatemala, tests show, prompting anthropologists to re-evaluate the ocean-faring skills of the settlers from that area.

Trade secrets revealed

Until now, it was assumed that the early Antiguans—called the Saladoid—only had contact southward with people in South America, said George Harlow, mineralogist with the American Museum of Natural History and co-author of a study on the new research.

“The best hypothesis now is that there must have been trade going on between Antigua and Guatemala,” Harlow told LiveScience. “This is a relationship we haven’t seen before in the Eastern Caribbean.”
The artifacts found were fashioned from jadeite jade—a specific variety that is different from the more common nephrite jade, found in abundance around the world. Harlow used new techniques to examine the mineral composition of the jadeite jade found in Antigua and the only possible match was a distinct source south of an earthquake fault in Guatemala.

“What’s more, only finished objects were found,” he said. The absence of unfinished bits and pieces of jadeite jade means that the Saladoid people did not modify the stones in Antigua, Harlow said. “They have to have known about them and wanted them enough to make the trip.”

Source

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
King Solomon of the Old Testament: (Ecclesiasties 1:9)
'What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothin new under the sun.'

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch
King Solomon of the Old Testament: (Ecclesiasties 1:9)
'What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothin new under the sun.'

He was right. He dabbled in witchcraft and sorcery to summon demons and low and behold, people still do it! A good man gone corrupt, yet another cycle being done again.

As to the OP, i can't see the pics my browser is flubbing up and errors showing. Too bad you can't date stone.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
OOps...I guess I didn't get that memo...

You can find another article here: Source

+110 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Perhaps instead of removing his posts ATS, you should leave his post intact with your disclaimer on it.

+23 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
ya honestly i dont see get how a link to something about jade has to do with ATS and now a post is ruined over something else another site has to say. I dont get how it would hurt you guys i love this site and anyone who really post alot on here isnt going to take what another site say seriously without a indepth dubunking

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Well since their is no topic open for discussion, i supose it would be ok to go off topic here and say sticks and stones ATS,

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by relocator

I find this really interesting... I love collecting rocks. I love turquoise and jade...etc.

I thought I would post to see if others find this interesting and provide an opportunity for others to add their thoughts.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

TextOOps...I guess I didn't get that memo...

Me either. Now Im all interested.

edit on 5-2-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Well this threads a convoluted mess.
I know the source and the material shown

Interesting topic could the OP source another site that isn't in violation?

Thanks.

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

An international team of archaeologists and geologists has found an extremely unusual example of jade in the Southwest Pacific.T
T
he small green artifact is about 3,300 years old and has a chemical composition that is unlike any other described jade. Found during an archaeological excavation on a coral island in Papua New Guinea, the rock is thought to have been used as a wood gouge by the people living there.

But where did it come from? The researchers, from the American Museum of Natural History, the University of Otego (New Zealand), and the University of Papua New Guinea, address this question in an upcoming special issue of the European Journal of Mineralogy on jadeite, the rock that defines one type of jade.

Throughout history, these rocks have been made into tools and ornamental gems that were worn, traded, and treasured. Many nephrite jade sources exist, but the prominent locations are China, New Zealand, Russia, and Canada. Far rarer is jadeite jade, which was used by people living in what is now Central America and Mexico over a span of two millennia prior to the arrival of European colonists. “In the Pacific, jadeite jade as ancient as this artifact is only known from Japan and its usage in Korea,” said George Harlow, a curator in the Museum’s
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences and the lead guest editor for the special journal issue. “It’s never been described in the archaeological record of New Guinea.”

The artifact was recovered from Emirau Island in the Bismark Archipelago. It was likely dropped from a stilt house into the water below and covered by years of beach sand.

When we first looked at this artifact, it was very clear that it didn’t match much of anything that anyone knew about jadeite jade,” Harlow said.
The chemical composition of the jadeite in the rock is substantially different from that of other jadeitite samples. Jadeite, a mineral of sodium, aluminum, silicon and oxygen in its pure form, is usually mixed compositionally with small amounts of calcium, magnesium, and iron, representative of the minerals diopside and, to a lesser extent, hedenbergite. The jadeite in the newly discovered jade, however, has almost no diopside content and, instead, contains iron without added calcium, representing the mineral aegirine, containing sodium, iron, silicon, and oxygen.

In addition and equally unusual, the artifact contains minerals rich in niobium and yttrium, which, according to Harlow, have never been previously observed in a jadeitite. “It makes very little sense based on how we know these rocks form, and certainly not in the concentration that we see,” he says.

After investigating the possibility of other sources in Asia and coming up empty-handed, the researchers came across a clue in the form of an unpublished manuscript by German scientist C. E. A. Wichmann. A professor at Utrecht University in the Netherlands, Wichmann collected some curious rocks from the Torare River in the Papua province of Indonesia in the beginning of the 20th century. According to Wichmann’s manuscript, the rocks he collected have chemical properties that are very similar to the Emirau Island jadeite.
Harlow is now investigating samples from Wichmann’s collection, on loan from the Institute of Earth Sciences at Utrecht University and the National Museum of Natural History in Leiden, to determine if a new source for this unusual type of jadeite has been found. So far, the data support the hypothesis.

“The discovery of this artifact’s source can be eagerly anticipated as something geochemically extraordinary,” Harlow said. Other authors on the paper include Hugh L. Davies, University of Papua New Guinea, who brought the Wichmann work to light, and Lisa Matisoo-Smith, University of Otago.

Source

above is what I originally posted.

I don't know why I waste my time this morning. I really don't give a crap what anybody else's thoughts are on this subject now that my feelings have been brusied. So I guess in that case. I should just tell ATS to stick it wear the sun don't shine and terminate my account since I rarely post a thread anyway and no one here really has shown any kindness my way. Though I guess I really don't make it easy on them Masons...lol In other words
I'm sure I won't be missed. Believe me I've been on Chat.

Oh Drezden..your comment is appreciated but.News Flash I'm a Women!!! Women can drive trucks too.

Peace Out.
edit on 5-2-2012 by relocator because: (no reason given)

P.S. For anyone that cares...You will find threads that make you want to create an acccount and then you have threads that make you want to delete your account. This experience made me want to delete mine.

Damn it!!! You got me!!! I can't terminate my account I guess I'll have to get banned then.

Feelin naughty!!! Let's see which Mason should I plan this act of getting me banned on?

+80 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Jesus Christ, ATS....WTH? You really screwed the pooch with this thread.

Did the OP and subsequent deleted posts have inflammatory material about ATS? Or is this just another GLP-ATS feud e-peen type of thing going on here? If so, it is stupid, petty, childish, and embracing ignorance all due to a bruised ego and the defending of your brand. It has nothing to do with truth.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
OOps...I guess I didn't get that memo...

You can find another article here:
My guess is that the site you linked is that site that was attempting to prove ats was Cia or counter intelligence pro / cointelpro.

Do you have another link?
edit on 5-2-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by relocator

From what I can see of it
very interesting thread. In the ancient world, stones and other materials were traded over vast distances, even by today's standards. In Scotland they have found cork that had to have come from Spain dated to somewhere in the region of 3000 years ago...similarly, obsidian was highly valued (still is).

Not sure why the staff is knee-jerking on the source of this one, anyone would think that they had something to hide...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Nice job,ATS!

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by relocator

Great thread on many levels. So...please don't leave, Relocator. Maybe we should start an Occupy ATS movement....no, wait....I occupy ATS everyday already just like the rest of you...you know who you are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join