It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage as animal carcasses litter region around Fukushima plant — (VIDEO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

When you stand in the center of Japan’s exclusion zone, there is absolute silence. [...]

78,000 people were evacuated out of this area, believing they would return within a few days.

[...] thousands of people left with their dogs tied up in the backyard, cats in their houses and livestock penned in barns.

Nearly a year later, animal carcasses litter the region.

Cows and pigs starved to death, their bones still in pens. Dogs dropped dead with disease. A cat skull sits on a neighborhood road.

[...] animal rights activists call it an outrage.

“It’s shameful,” says Yasunori Hoso with United Kennel Club Japan. “We kept asking the government to rescue these animals from the beginning of the disaster [...]”

[...] dogs now reside at the UKC Japan shelter near Tokyo. 250 dogs and 100 cats, all from the exclusion zone [...]

Unfortunately, he added, the owners can’t live with their animals because they are homeless themselves.

Once again, the veil is lifted as a camera crew enters the exclusion zone--an area that has come to resemble chernobyl, except for the fact that so many pets and livestock are inhabiting the area. I personally feel this situation is being ignored by the media, although I'm sure the Japanese government doesn't want the attention. They should have a plan to get these animals out at the very least.

The government should have a strategy for rescuing as many animals as possible.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Animals walking around with no masters, eating each other and trying to survive, one might think theyre doing what theyre supposed to?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tehdouglas
Animals walking around with no masters, eating each other and trying to survive, one might think theyre doing what theyre supposed to?

That would make sense unless they weren't domesticated. You're talking about domesticated animals who were just left in the exclusion zone. There still there, and something should be done about them.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I dunno what you could do when you factor in the radiation affecting the animals and the displacement of the people who owned them, something tells me putting them down wouldnt please the animal rights activists.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tehdouglas
I dunno what you could do when you factor in the radiation affecting the animals and the displacement of the people who owned them, something tells me putting them down wouldnt please the animal rights activists.

Well, it's not really animal rights activists you should be concerned about (unless you are one.) The question isn't about them. Who cares what they think? It's what YOU think should be done, and your concept of whats right and wrong and your capacity for empathy. Yes, I suppose it comes down to these things before you can agree that something should be done, and I don't mean "putting them down." The government is responsible for this mess, and this is something that should be fixed. Since they can't fix anything else, fix this, and at least do SOMETHING right.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Those poor things. This makes me over the top sad. I really love animals and I hate seeing !@#$ like this.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I hate to be cold about this but I'll remain consistent and honest anyway. These animals should have been shot in the start by the survey and environmental teams who HAD to be there doing other things for the crisis anyway.

Not a single human being should have risked their lives inside the hot zone over an animal, but simply walking by these animals....KNOWING their fate..and leaving them to it...was far colder than simply moving from cow to cow with a .22 rifle and ending it quick and painless.

This was a crisis with no equal on a scale that is yet to be known, let alone understood...and it demanded a response that was equal to the task. NOW....Livestock died horribly and slow, and you have feral animals who have learned to live in a contaminated zone both breeding and turning more vicious over time. NOW they have to be hunted and it'll be dangerous. In the beginning, they would have come UP to the humans. It would have been UGLY business, but necessary.

Their degree of contamination is what makes rescue impossible.......as if that needs be said at all, but of course, for some, it still does. Life's hard but this crisis is no game and what needs done simply has to happen.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I think of the animals in Fukishima that were left behind all of the time. I cannot help it. I could never leave my dog tied up if we had to evacuate and he would come with me. Majority of people and the government do not care about animals because they are seen as a sub species and only humans deserve to live right? Well wrong. Shame on the Japanese people and their government.

I also have to mention that HUMANS built the nuclear reactor and HUMANS are the ones that contaminated the land - not the animals (but screw the animals only humans are important so clean up your own mess you animals that don't even belong here on our planet because it is not your home too!)
edit on 26/1/12 by Australiana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

maybe people shouldnt make a habit of forming one sided dependant relationships.

If these animals were incapable of surviving on their own.. then its the people who were supposed to play the role of suragate parent.

Dont lightly take on the responisiblity of caring for and leading animals or people.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
1 Flag for the animals, and 1 Star for the OP being kind enough to bring it here.

Tragic.

:shk:

They might be man's best friend, but when push came to shove, man sure wasn't THEIR best friend.

Although it's not every day, or every year for that matter, that a 9.1 quake hits and destroys half your country with a tsunami. Pretty bad times for both man and beast, no matter how you slice it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
When you said this you said a mouthful:

I personally feel this situation is being ignored by the media, although I'm sure the Japanese government doesn't want the attention.

For animals and people keeping all this quiet is the worst thing!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I'm a dog owner, and believe me, he gets treated better then me on most days.

This is truly sad , and their owners must be heart broken knowing their fate.

Be prepared for worst scenes on human babies in a few years, this is Huge , and TEPCO has the world media muzzled.

Go Nuclear.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I absolutely love my pets!!!!!
But... If I absolutely could not take them with me, I would rather put them down as quickly and painlessly as possible, instead of letting them slowly and painfully starve to death. A dog tied up has no chance.
It makes me cry just thinking about an animal suffering like that.
Sorry, but at times like this, we humans suck!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
1 Flag for the animals, and 1 Star for the OP being kind enough to bring it here.

Tragic.

:shk:

They might be man's best friend, but when push came to shove, man sure wasn't THEIR best friend.

Although it's not every day, or every year for that matter, that a 9.1 quake hits and destroys half your country with a tsunami. Pretty bad times for both man and beast, no matter how you slice it.

Agreed.. Thanks OP for the update..

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I have starred and flagged this thread for you.I can't watch
the video because I'm afraid it will upset me.I am still upset
about the kitten killer snake from last month.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Im surprised animals are still alive after a year.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I completely agree, a bullet to the head is the least the people could of done for these animals.

I hate how animal rights activist are so compassionate they often neglect to do the most compassionate thing and thats end an animals long term suffering in these situations.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
yups i agree with the Idea they should have been put down,

its now really the only option, you cant bring them back into society, they have lived in contaminated area for a year... the japanese government cant handle the burden of Humans after this disaster let alone animals, and if you agree with it or not, humans have to come first...

the only real option now is a cull of the animals or let them live feral and let the stronger (more adaptable survive) niether is a pleasant option but i really cant see any other option.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Yes, this is one of the more inhumane things of this disaster. I feel as bad for the pet owners as I do for the pets. Before the earthquake, most Japanese bought the tale of how safe nuclear power was. When they were told to leave, they thought it would only for a few hours in most cases.

Well, here we are nearly a year on and we are still learning of horrors.

All animals surround Chernobyl were hunted down and shot by the army to prevent the spread of the radiation. Sad that such things become necessary, but those are the choices left to us when we pursue this "one hell of a way to boil water."

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Such a disaster worse than we know . God rest their souls and at Kitahara , man and beast . Doubled into doubledness , the disaster that doesnt stop at being a total disaster

new topics

top topics

join