It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Republican Who Wanted Drug Testing For Welfare Recipients Gets DUI

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Right.. getting paid by the State (as millions of Americans do.. legitimately .. because they work for the government) is NOT the same as a poor fatass getting food stamps and welfare among other benefits all because she's to lazy or incompetent to get a job.

No .. the thread has no point.

No .. people living off the state should not be allowed to do drugs of any kind. They deserve NO privacy, NO sympathy, NO leniency. Test them once a month, the slightest infraction throw them out on their arse.

Tired of the Welfare State.

(and again, for the ignorant among us ... alcohol is NOT a controlled substance...)
edit on 1/17/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

it does not make much sense to me why you would make a big deal about this. if you say man gets caught drunk driving, he ran red lights, that's not much of a story, suddenly you add the fact of what this man does while hes not drinking or his political opinions and it becomes a story exploiting somebody and there demeaning there ideas. once again good job at trolling and making a big story out of nothing.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
It costs the state, taxpayers and time. I think they tried it before and like 90% of recipients passed?

Originally posted by Rockpuck

(and again, for the ignorant among us ... alcohol is NOT a controlled substance

Exactly.

IF the gov't really cared about your health.. Alcohol AND McDonald's would be illegal

Ron Paul put it best... IF you depend on the gov't for guidance, you have bigger issues.
edit on 18-1-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muttley2012

Originally posted by TomServo
In the end, the concept has the potential to improve the integrity of the welfare system. In the end, its a valid compromise between those who support and those who oppose.

To me, a valid compromise would be to require welfare recipients to do work for the state...pick up roadside trash, community improvement projects etc. and not require a drug test. It's a win/win scenario. No additional tax burden of the cost for the drug test AND the recipients are giving back in a tangible way.

Absolutely!! Star for that comment. My wife has an MPA and is going to save the world some day. Throughout our relationship, she has really opened my eyes to a lot of that left brain, poly sci, 'free tibet' nonsense (I jest). So I had the bright idea one day, to promote civil programs geared toward engaging welfare recipients (those who are able to work of course). I recognize that there are many on welfare for unavoidable circumstances. But, there are also a large number who are perfectly able to contribute part or full time labor to the community. This experience could even count toward 'work experience' for future attempts to get back into the labor community.

We work a lot with mentally retarded and ill adults. A surprising number of that demographic hold jobs, even as simple as making coat-hangers. Knowing some of them personally, and seeing what they can do, brings me to say (i know this will sound bad, but you would have to know them personally) there are necessary tasks out there that Anybody could do. I think the potential is there. Its just a missing connection that has not been explored yet (to my knowledge).

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I have always thought that all Law Makers and COPs should be drug tested regularly. My opinion on cops from my years I used to go to the GYM everyday. I had a lot of cop acquaintances who were using steriods. Some denied some were straight up.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

And you're missing the point. These people haven't been charged with a crime, so why should they be put through the humiliating process of a drug test for illegal substances?

How about a bill to breathalyze lawmakers after their 3-martini lunch, or drug test all cops for steroids, let's just assume everyone is guilty of a crime and pass laws further stripping people of their rights.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TomServo
I dont see your angle with this post. He broke the law and is paying the price. I dont see him asking me to foot his bill. There is the difference. Completely different from the sopa story. He is not on welfare, and he hasnt failed a drug test. I dont remember the welfare screening having anything to do with alcohol anyway...
Invalid point!

We will be footing the bill with our tax paying dollars that support him and his job, and being an elite will probably get off with a lighter sentence than anyone of us would

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
It costs the state, taxpayers and time. I think they tried it before and like 90% of recipients passed?

98% passed in Florida. So the Reeps implemented a program that cost money and added an additional level of bureaucracy, both of which they claim to be oh-so-against. All so they can deny a few worthless crackheads food and shelter.

The hypocrisy never stops.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
OK, just so I'm understanding this.
If you have a job, especially an elected post, you're free to do whatever you want even if you choose to get behind the wheel intoxicated.
If you don't have a job, you're automatically considered a threat to society.

If you have a job, your judgement calls are excuseable and you'd NEVER touch any drugs.
If you don't have a job, you're never to be trusted and we'll always suspect that you're indulging in some illicit substance.

Well, since alcohol is legal and nobody has a problem with alcohol. everyone with a job can keep their licenses, but those on welfare should not be allowed to drive since they'll probably be driving drunk the first chance they get.

Am I on the right track here?

In the fantasy world these politicians want, EVERYONE should be drug tested.
In the real world, NOBODY should be drug tested because we are all innocent until proven guilty.

This politician has been proven guilty. Maybe we should install a breathalyzer machine in his vehicle so he has to blow before it will start.
Let's all stop assuming that everyone on welfare is guilty and has to prove their innocence. When and if they are caught with illicit substance(s) and/or driving drunk, then we should have to drug test them.

I had to quote this brilliant post because it addresses the issue without the government the blinders on. Its starting to become really absurd how everyday Americans excuse the wealthy and powerful for mistakes but will bring the hammer down on any poor individual purely based on ASSUMPTION. C'mon guys, we're better than that

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
This man needs to pay for his actions, and yes, they all need to be checked for drugs as well….BUT…

There are the free loaders who know how to take advantage of the system. There is an ILLEGAL family who lives down the road from us. While I struggle to make money for my family, they are living off the high hog. Don’t ask me how I know. I’ll just say that I have my ways. This is what they have…

1.$1100.00 in food stamps a month for 5 kids (mother pregnant again).
2.Medicaid.
3.HUD housing.
4.Pal grant checks for school loans.
5.3 different business names under their address. (All fake).
6.$40,000 Lexus.
7.$50,000 truck with $6,000 wheels and rims.

More people come in and out of their house than the local Wal-Mart. Police are there regularly for dog fights and rooster fights. All the illegal actions are blamed on the underage kids so the adults don’t receive jail time. System lenient on kids because they are minors. They only get probation. I live in Denver. A sanctuary city.

I will gladly take a drug test anytime. I have nothing to hide. If I have to get food stamps, than I understand that I would need to answer to the American people for those funds.

Again, this man needs to pay for his actions, but he should not be the focus. There are other low lives out there who are far worse than this guy...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
A guy getting drunk on the taxpayer dime and breaking the law is totally different from a guy getting high on the taxpayer dime and breaking the law.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
I find this story quite appropriate:

Law-maker A wants to make receiving welfare money contingent on being drug-free. Other law-makers makes laws requiring that having a driver's license is contingent on being alcohol-free.

Of course its important that Law-maker A now lose his license! Is that any less a draconian punishment that losing the money you require for housing/food? Or is this a case of one law for them and another for the rest of us.

Perhaps Law-maker A can use the money that his company will make conducting the drug-tests on welfare recipients to hire a chauffeur? (That is the biggest part of the scandle here that no-one else has mentioned - that Law-maker A is not only a drunk driver, he also owns shares in the company that does the drug tests and stands to gain a bundle if his law is passed).

Tired of Control Freaks
i really liked what you had to say -

this law is morally wrong when a person, in this country, is denied food because they were convicted of a drug related charge - any drug related charge after august, 1996 - www.dss.cahwnet.gov... -

listen drug users are not criminals but the u.s. has declared a war on drugs - convicted felons in the state of georgia are denied jobs because of the stigma of "felony" - this whole process is morally wrong and quite oppressive -

we have a right to work but, once convicted, that felony conviction will follow wherever you go - and today - especially today - if one is a convicted felon you are already labeled by the government and the only place you can go is to the "fema" camp -

permanently denied an inalienable right to food for survival - listen most felons serve time in prison and after serving their time the punishment still goes on because of these stupid laws that are in place that leads to slaughter -

i can hear you say..............so....get a job - not in today's reality -

www.blackstarnews.com...

already facing monumental hurdles to overcome, ranging from dealing with health concerns to trying to find jobs to readjusting to their families and communities, this policy makes successfully doing any of those even more difficult. Researchers have found that policies such as these are particularly hard on women, at a time when the female inmate population is rising.
www.blackstarnews.com...

these politicians, the blood suckers and all the legion, make the laws, just as you said, for their own personal gain -

remember j edgar hoover: well, here's reality: he was a monster -

Symbolism matters in the United States and it is clearly wrong to honor a man who frequently manipulated the law to achieve his personal goals". It’s doubtful if anyone’s reputation has plummeted quite so far and so drastically as J Edgar Hoover’s -
www.telegraph.co.uk...

yet, i am not as angry as i used to be - i've read this same story over and over again for a few years now -

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Yep now we know what he does with that huge salary that he doesnt earn.

Public servants should make a median wage and be under all the same laws and regulations to recieve their pay as those on public assistance. Same with ALL agencys funded by taxpayer money.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
We should have drug testing for everyone in Congress. I mean they are supposed to be workin for us right. And why can't we choose what salary they get. Hell make them work for minimum wage the way the majority of the people they represent do. This is a case of "what's good for the geese..."

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by spinalremain

Yep now we know what he does with that huge salary that he doesnt earn.

Public servants should make a median wage and be under all the same laws and regulations to recieve their pay as those on public assistance. Same with ALL agencys funded by taxpayer money.

you beat me to it! LOL GREAT POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Know that i find your addiction to the belief in a supernatural deity the same as to any drug. Know that you are wielding a double edged sword.

Throwing them out on their asses doesnt solve anything. We need ways to fix people not punish them untill they kill themselves or others. If it takes the goverment taking away their children and sending them to a re-education camp for a few months i would support it.

You are your brothers keeper.....

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join