It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Volcano Awakens in Germany?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Was looking on RSOE and saw this...

"Unusual geological event in Germany'

Naturally anything titled such is an eye catcher ...

Fresh activity near a dormant 'super volcano' in Germany has left experts worried about a possible eruption

Experts near the Laacher See site have detected carbon dioxide bubbles on the lake's surface and believe the mountain in Germany could be active again

Source

If that thing is in fact starting to become active and blows anytime soon...

We dont have to worry about the crash of the Euro...

Cos Earth will pretty much suck...

Thoughts?

edit on 1/2/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I think someone already started a thread on this saying it was about 390 miles from london. Ill go look and see if they correlate. Yes, heres a debunking article, its NOT ready to blow, its fearmongering by the press.www.abovetopsecret.com...
Heres the article saying its not going to blow:www.wired.com...

This is clearly pandering to the 2012 Apocalypse crowd – we’re going to be seeing article after article about all the calamities that might befall the Earth during this year based on no scientific evidence whatsoever. Let me repeat that: There is NO scientific evidence for a “doomsday” in 2012. None. Sorry folks, look elsewhere and stop buying into this tripe. In the meantime, we’ll try not to drown in the sea about terrible media reportin

edit on 2-1-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

I repeat this volcano is NOT getting ready to blow, it is 2012 hype

And honestly, there is no more substance to the article beyond this – no source, no named “experts”, nothing. So, the Daily Mail decided to run with a article proclaiming the imminent danger of the Laacher See based on it being supposedly “overdue” and that there are carbon dioxide seeps in the lake, something that have been there for hundreds if not thousands of years. This is the volcanic equivalent of the Daily Mail going out and saying “Massive hurricane to hit London?” because they looked out the window and saw a cloud. Irresponsible, lazy journalism at its finest.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
If this super volcano erupts how much
earth area would be effected? I wonder
if there is a planned evacuation going on
as of yet.

What a way to start 2012

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Perhaps you should read this article . It may allay you fears .

Fearmongering Gets Started in 2012: Laacher See is Not "Ready to Blow"

The articles author, Erik Klemetti, is an assistant professor of geosciences at Denison University. He's worked on volcanoes in Chile, New Zealand and the western United States and writes about worldwide volcanic activity, volcano research and science.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
No one should be surprised about this. We were all warned for the past few years about it. Just in this case, it's not Yellowstone......yet. Welcome to 2012....the year of unthinkable events.

It IS on RSOE. I will be watching this closely myself as well. We all know if it pops its cork. the entire northern hemisphere is going to feel dramatic effects.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Yellowstone's been getting funky lately, pelican cove's seismograph has been turned off for the past few days after about a week of nuttiness.

eh heres a pic, they turned it back on today

edit on 2-1-2012 by hapablab because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Does that make that one person an all seeing tarot card reader? I think not. Beware the disinfo troller's of the world. Now more than ever.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknessMatters

It IS on RSOE.

Their source is the Daily Mail .........

Fresh activity near a dormant 'super volcano' in Germany has left experts worried about a possible eruption. Britain's Daily Mail wrote the eruption from the 'monster' underneath Laacher See lake near Bonn, could eject billions of tons of magma which in turn could cause widespead devastation in Europe and even 'short-term global cooling'. The mountain last erupted 12,900 years ago. Volcanologists have estimated the mountain's size to be similar to that of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines - responsible for the biggest ejection of the 20th century. Pinatubo threw up '10 billion tons of magma, 20 billion tons of sulphur dioxide 16 cubic kilometres of ash and caused a 0.5C drop in global temperatures'. Experts near the Laacher See site have detected carbon dioxide bubbles on the lake's surface and believe the mountain in Germany could be active again.

RSOE EDIS

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Perhaps you should read that line again....

"Britain's Daily Mail wrote the eruption from the 'monster' underneath Laacher See lake near Bonn, could eject billions of tons of magma which in turn could cause widespead devastation in Europe and even 'short-term global cooling'."

RSOE does NOT claim the Daily Mail as the SOURCE. The RSOE only states a comment MADE BY the Daily Mail about what COULD happen IF it blows....there's a huge difference there.

ETA:
In fact, RSOE doesn't list it's source. I scoured the RSOE site and found nothing showing their source for the report. I personally don't believe RSOE would post an Alert if they didn't have a credible source. I've watched RSOE for a few years now and haven't seen them post false Alerts.

edit on 1/2/2012 by DarknessMatters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

RSOE does NOT claim the Daily Mail as the SOURCE. The RSOE only states a comment MADE BY the Daily Mail about what COULD happen IF it blows....there's a huge difference there.

If the RSOE had a source other than the Daily Mail it surely would of provided it ......correct ?

And speaking of sources, the Daily Mail article cites no references at all.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
To be honest...

I haven't slept much in the last 7 days, I've been at hospital... my mom had open heart surgery. She came through it with success and we just got home today.

So I'm pretty much zombified from lack of sleep...
and due to current state and my super slow dial up internet connection... I'm gonna leave the fact checking to someone who feels rather ambitious...

But I had the thought... if there were a significant chance of this Super Volcano going pop anytime soon...

Wouldnt the US Army either...
withdraw a significant number of troops from the german bases...
or increase the troops to assist in aid...

I think there would be some proof in odd troop movements...
possibly within the last 6 months to last year
just a thought...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

RSOE doesn't make a habit of always listing their sources either. They also don't make it a habit to post false Alerts. Time will tell if it's something to worry about.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric

But I had the thought... if there were a significant chance of this Super Volcano going pop anytime soon...

Wouldnt the US Army either...
withdraw a significant number of troops from the german bases...
or increase the troops to assist in aid...

I think there would be some proof in odd troop movements...
just a thought...

They may well indeed if they determine it to be a threat. But you know as well as I do, that we won't hear of the US Gov't giving orders of that kind until it happens or until well after...IF at all.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Beware the disinfo troller's of the world.

Perhaps you should steer clear of dubious claims made by newspaper groups like the Daily Mail.

Did you even read the article I posted by Dr. Klemetti . Here

Ratcheting up peoples levels of anxiety seems to be the pastime of many on ATS. There is no harm in substantiating a wild claim before diving in .......

You will never last on ATS if you are that gullible.

All the best.
Umbra Sumus

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

If you can show that RSOE used the Daily Mail as it's source for the Alert, I will look at it. In regards to me "lasting long" here on ATS....I've been here as long as you my friend. My Registered date means nothing.

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

Perhaps you should steer clear of dubious claims made by newspaper groups like the Daily Mail.

Did you even read the article I posted by Dr. Klemetti . Here

I don't go to Daily Mail's site and don't go to sites that are simply Opinion columns. I looked at RSOE. I go to sites that have proof, not propaganda.
edit on 1/2/2012 by DarknessMatters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

No 2012 hype here, just the facts as they develop.

Welcome to 2012....the year of unthinkable events

emmmmm.......

When you have facts - I would be the first to flag your thread on the subject and engage in the conversation.

Until then - good night

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Just posting so I will not lose this thread.

I am pretty sure we will get to the bottom of this

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
please leave comments in the existing thread here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The official "word" is finally in according to RSOE.......

Unfortunately, what the Daily Mail writes, is more dark fantasy than anything else. There is no scientific background to assume that an eruption in a foreseeable future could be in the making in this area.

SOURCE

Case closed.....for now.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

The official "word" is finally in according to RSOE.......

Unfortunately, what the Daily Mail writes, is more dark fantasy than anything else. There is no scientific background to assume that an eruption in a foreseeable future could be in the making in this area.

SOURCE

Case closed.....for now.

The Daily Mail writes today "Is a super-volcano just 390 miles from London about to erupt?", suggesting that the Laacher See volcano in Western Germany could "erupt any time" and produce a large eruption such as the devastating (but still moderate, not super-volcano at all) Plinian eruption 11,900 years ago. Unfortunately, what the Daily Mail writes, is more dark fantasy than anything else. There is no scientific background to assume that an eruption in a foreseeable future could be in the making in this area. To read more and why, please have a look at the brilliant post about it on Dr. Erik Klemetti's

RSOE EDIS Event Report

Perhaps next time you won`t be so dismissive ......

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join