It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran test-fires more missiles in Gulf exercises

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Iran test-fires more missiles in Gulf exercises

www.bbc.co.uk

Iran says it has successfully test-fired two more missiles on the final day of naval exercises in the Gulf.

Iranian commander Mahmoud Mousavi was quoted as saying they fired a Ghader ground-to-ship cruise missile and a short-range Nasr anti-ship missile.

A medium-range surface-to-air missile was successfully launched on Sunday, Iranian media reported.

Iran has conducted 10 days of exercises near the Strait of Hormuz, through which 20% of the world's oil passes.

Tehran said on Monday that "mock" exercises on shutting the strait had been carried out, although there was no intention of closing it.

"No order was give for the closure of the Strait of Hormuz. But we are prepared for various scenarios," navy chief Habibollah Sayyari was quoted by state television as saying.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/1/12 by hey1212 because: The story changed!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I logged on to read the views of people with more knowledge of this subject than me but it appears it hasn't been posted yet so I may get the ball rolling.

Will this be a big deal or is it just a normal thing? I have only a general basic military and weapons knowledge.

Just the usual will be fine.

Implications, justifications and speculations.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I would say that this is normal considering they are in training exercises, however, these missiles are 'gifts' from Russia.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
I would say that this is normal considering they are in training exercises, however, these missiles are 'gifts' from Russia.

Well yes, of course they are gifts from russia. The best gifts are those that you make yourself, for you self.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by varikonniemi

no doubt about that

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hey1212

Well to put your post in a little more perspective lets take a look at the Iranian people and try to separate them from the actions of their government.

When you talk about Iran you are not just referring to military capabilities but you are talking about a Nation full of innocent people who cling to Democracy in spite of a corrupt and repressive government. Should anyone attack the US because we HAVE nuclear capabilities and we threaten it's use? Or do we wave our PEACEKEEPERS in the wind just to make people afraid to attack us? When is turn about not fair play?

Am I defending Iran?
I think as in any conflict.... I would ask you to remember the people who are blameless geographical casualties of war and talk of war.

Remember this from a position of power and not from a position of weakness. When you have ALL THE POWER, (whether you began the skirmish or not) you must take all the blame for the ensuing conflict since you have the power to show by example and there is ALWAYS a better way than war.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

The Ghader is an upgraded Noor missile, which itself is an export clone of the Chinese C-802.

The Iranians stated capabilities of the missile type are questionable at best:

Ghader missile, an anti-ship cruise missile equipped with technology that makes it undetectable by the best radars. Ghader missile was mass produced and delivered to the both naval forces of Iran, Islamic Revolution Guard Corp (IRGC) and the Military by Iran's Ministry of Defense on Wednesday. The missile has been designed, constructed and mass produced by Iranian experts and engineers to be used against large battleships and aircraft carriers. Iran's President first inaugurated Ghader missile late August of this year. Western media was very skeptical of the event.

Ghader missile can be fired from air, ground and the ship. . It is equipped with digital auto-pilot, anti-jamming radar technology and is programmable. Ghader can detect and find its target in the sea in low altitudes and sink them. Iran's high ranking military officials say that production of such weapons is exclusive and that Iran is the only country with such capabilities.

It is basically the same missile (with improved guidance) that Hezbollah used in 2006 to attack the Israeli corvette Hanit. The only reason that missile even hit the "stealthy" Israeli boat is because they left an external crane extended and the missile hit that, only causing minor damage to the small Israeli boat due to the rocket fuel as the actual explosive mainly went out to sea.

Up against Western Naval forces with state of the art CIWS and, in the case of the Type 45 for example, stealthy attributes, this missiles effectiveness is questionable. It would most likely find better use either deployed en masse to overwhelm defences or to attack soft targets such as tankers.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
If the Iranians want to overwhelm the foreign navies with their missiles,

they should save them for launching at ships. Why test them? They are the greatest thing since sliced bread, invisible to radar..... No one else has anything to match them, or defend against them. According to the Iranian govt.

Oh that's right, they are posturing. Maybe they should stick to that, it is one thing that they do well.

top topics

join