It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops

abcnews.go.com

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+46 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Well, doesn't this explain a whole lot. I mean, wouldn't smarter officers be able to figure out where a criminal might be hiding out faster or be more apt to make rational decisions?

Oh wait, that isn't what the government wants, is it? Smart cops who might question all of the bogus and unconstitutional laws wouldn't be a good thing. Instead we need cops who are just willing to obey and be happy to have a star on their chest. Happy New Year ATS!

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

I just had a nice discussion with someone about this on this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It has nothing to do with them "getting bored on the job" and everything to do with them being told what the laws are and how to enforce them as apposed to what the laws actually are. They look for 2 criteria before vetting someone to be a cop. 1 is they are not smart enough to question their authority and 2 they have to be a control freak. When was the last time you had a conversation with an intelligent passive cop? The Cops who do wise up to what's going on get made Detective.
edit on Sun Jan 1 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: removed add a star

+24 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

A Police officers job is not to serve and protect you, if they figure out a crime, good, if they do not no big deal. The sole job of a Police office is to pseudo tax you through fines.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
A bunch of dummies with guns. It also says that the national average for cops' IQ was a little above average. I think they were grading on a curve.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

from the opening link:

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

I guess the court also upheld the right to discriminate equally !

It must be all that yellow fringe arount the U.S. Flag !

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
125 is considered bright but not superior on most scales. It wouldn't even get him into Mensa.

There's a lot of anti-intellectualism in America. Just another sign of it.

If being really smart makes you unemployable, then the really smart might need a protected status.
Imagine that.

Too smart for your country.
Says a lot about law enforcement, and America.

I also wonder why they would consider that one would get bored and quit. Are there no opportunities to advance to more challenging JOBS for officers?

Or once again are we letting our educational system with all it's inherent class issues tell us who is worthy and who is not? Am I hearing "This guy is really smart, but he's not educated, so he's not worthy?"

How much is our country losing because of that attitude? Many of our top thinkers were very smart but not that educated. (Ben Franklin, Gates, Steve Jones, really it is a very long list!) Where do these people find themselves in our society today? If you are a poor child, with no chance for higher education, what sort of life does that DOOM you to?
edit on 1-1-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
pretty sure this has been happening for a long time, and that it has much more to do with only hiring obedient pricks who won't question their orders than it does with anything else...

City agrees to lower test scores for police exam

March 10, 2011

DAYTON — The city’s Civil Service Board and the U.S. Department of Justice have agreed on a lower passing score for the police recruit exam after it was rejected because not enough blacks passed the exam.

The city lowered both written exams a combined 15 points that resulted in 258 more people passing the exam, according to a statement released Thursday by Civil Service officials. The agreement allows the city to immediately resume its plans to hire police and firefighters.

The original passing scores determined by Civil Service required candidates to answer 57 of 86 (66 percent) questions correctly on one portion and 73 of 102 (72 percent) on the other.

edit on Sun Jan 1 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Appropriate headline for today, then...

...and the video that goes with it.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
This has been the norm for quite a while unfortunately. Even in a small town 10 years ago this was happening. A friend of mine quit the police department due to these policies. Being one of the brighter guys on the force they took him off patrol and put him behind a desk answering phones. He said what they wanted was dumb, aggressive guys right out of the military. Go figure.
I have a sneaky suspicion the same rule applies for political candidates.

eta: I hate to think what kind of detectives they'll end up in a few years.

(make Barney Fife look like Einstein)
edit on 1-1-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Just more sick corruption going on. To be expected from the criminally insane idiots running the country.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Just imagine how low the score must be for TSA agents. They are probably barely breaking the double digit mark.
That might explain searching diapers, groping kids and strip searching 80 year old women.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
This has been the norm for quite a while unfortunately. Even in a small town 10 years ago this was happening. A friend of mine quit the police department due to these policies. Being one of the brighter guys on the force they took him off patrol and put him behind a desk answering phones. He said what they wanted was dumb, aggressive guys right out of the military. Go figure.
I have a sneaky suspicion the same rule applies for political candidates.

I think just the opposite for the political scene. Political candidates must be smart enough to think on their feet as to not get caught in their lies before the election.

But this doesn't surprise me one bit about the police officers. People who can't think for themselves are the obedient ones. The obedient ones listen and follow instructions. All in order to put the puzzle together for the ones really running the show.

They sure dont want an uprising from cops now. Then the military would have to intervene, and all of our troops are in other countries.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm

I think just the opposite for the political scene. Political candidates must be smart enough to think on their feet as to not get caught in their lies before the election.

But this doesn't surprise me one bit about the police officers. People who can't think for themselves are the obedient ones. The obedient ones listen and follow instructions. All in order to put the puzzle together for the ones really running the show.

They sure dont want an uprising from cops now. Then the military would have to intervene, and all of our troops are in other countries.

And why would there by an uprising from cops?

As for politicians, you are leaving out Sociopathy. Most politicians actually meet most of the criteria for diagnosis. Newt Gingrich is a prime example. This is why they are liars and can hone their craft. Even smart people can be bad at lying.

As for the cop, this department operates under a faulty assumption. Thinking for one's self is not necessarily a function of intelligence, it's really a function of personality. Manageability is down to personality not intelligence. Furthermore I think some of you take IQ too seriously. Iq can be raised or lowered over time, furthermore it only addresses one area of intelligence. The score you get can be manipulated through testing. You shouldn't put that much faith in it.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Well, doesn't this explain a whole lot.

Ohmy. Doesn't it explain everything? Stupid and dysfunctional.

S&F&

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Polices job is to understand and enforce complicated laws. They are field diplomats and negociators too. A soldier is one who is trained to point and shoot a gun. A low IQ is probably a good idea for a soldiers job. A cop however should be the smartest and best of the community. That excuse that they might get bored is just idiotic.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

This has been the practice for a very long time! I was interested in joining our local police force when I was just out of high school, back in 1990. I had several friends on the force and they were pushing me to join. I talked to an older officer that knew me well and he discouraged my ambition to be an officer. He told me that he thought that I would not be willing to follow orders without question, that I would want to have my "whys and what fors" answered and they did NOT want officers that would think for themselves........

If that was the norm 22 years ago, I would guess it has gotten even worse by now. And mind you, I live in a town of only 3,500 people!

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
So intelligent cops might get bored and quit after being trained at the Govt's expense?

I guess no one pointed out, that one incompetent cop causing a lawsuit kinda tosses those figures out the window.

Good god what incompetence.

Way to go UK! Ban intellgence alltogether I say.. hell, it seems like it's never used.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Wait you mean IQ is an accurate way to describe intelligence?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

He told me that he thought that I would not be willing to follow orders without question, that I would want to have my "whys and what fors" answered and they did NOT want officers that would think for themselves........

It's not just the cops, either. It's in all major corporations, too. They might hire someone who is friendly, articulate, and appears to be bright...but as soon as they discover that person has "critical thinking skills" and wants to know "why do we do it this way?" they are systematically destroyed...

If you are not willing to toe the company line, and worse, you are willing to tell your managers that what they are doing is stupid or just plain wrong (unethical), well....not only is the honeymoon over, the divorce papers are being drawn up, behind closed doors, by HR and Upper Mgmt.

It's truly appalling.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join