It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain’s Borders Could Be Temporarily Sealed: Daily Mail Story From 12/28/2011

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

I have no real information about it, but there was a story recently in the media about guns being rented out by a few people making it sound like the same guns were used in multiple incidents by different users. This would suggest there are not that many.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Europe should do the same thing to prepare for a collapse in the UK :

UK's debt? 950% of GDP

WRONG. This has been fully explained before here on ATS that 950% includes all the debt owed to British banks that is actually foreign debt plus all personal debt. But hey ho nothing like twisting things to make a point is there.

The actual debt that is quoted and compared to other countries is around 63% of GDP. However, the current government omits to inform its citizens that due to the management of the economy prior to the bankers crashing it (ie under G Brown), we have very favourable repayment terms ie 3% over 14 years. Its that very low % repayment and very long payback period that makes comparisons with other countries meaningless and our actual debt should be very manageable........if we pursued a Keynesian plan instead of the usual narrow minded (bankers!!) monetarist plan. NB All the groups shouting for debt cutting (monetarists) are the very same groups who were whooping it up when the banks were "doing so well" (and it was all a lie). Stop listening to the economists whose belief systems got us in this mess in the first place DUH

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by DaveNorris

Nah trust me fella the BNP are racist, I was in a pub in Mixenden in west yorkshire (They got a BNP counciler) and because I was drunk and wondered what was going on I went upstairs in the function room to find 50 odd BNP supporters having a party/rally, I stayed for 10 min's and left...they are really racist and have members who are in the skinhead racist nazi groups like N9S ect I saw the tattoo's.

Its because the core of that party is run by and supported by old NF (national front) members from the 80's and 90's
basically racist skinheads...

la2

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

the uk'd debt is 75% of GDP, was below that of US and Japan, the difference between the UK and mainland Europe is that Britain has measures in place to cut spending and control the debt.

How many times are you people going to put utter lies on here claiming it to be fact, this site has gone down in my estimation, anyone can put anything here and not have their 'facts' lookied into.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The problems with employment do not just run with the youth of this country.
I trained as a printer, and spent 27 years in the trade, but when I was made redundant, all of the employers I went to for work said I was 'over-qualified'; of course, that meant that they would rather employ a youth on minimum wage and train him in-house, rather than pay me the salary that was commensurate with my experience.
In the end, I had to start my own business to get a living, but even that has gone down the tubes, as I was in removals and transport, and as soon as the credit crunch hit, people could not afford to move, or couldn't get a payable mortgage, so my work evaporated fast. I am reduced to doing contract delivery work which only just brings in enough money for me to live hand-to-mouth, no chance of saving anything, and just when I do get any money, there is always a bill that appears over the horizon.
In my line of work, I have worked with Eastern Europeans and have found them to be friendly, intelligent and hard-working, as opposed to native workers, that do not seem to understand simple instructions, and are always sloping off for breaks, I have had to pay out for damages to property caused by my staff far more with British workers than with Poles, for example, as Eastern European workers have a much better work ethic, and do take time to put more care into their work.
I think one of the problems facing us these days is that young people are not given the proper opportunities to learn, the school system is failing them in a way, as they are not having instilled into them that the way to wealth is to put in a good shift, my father always told me that you can only take out once you have put in, but programmes on the TV such as X Factor are persuading them that instant fame is desirable, rather than having to get up early and go to work. Andy Warhol's comment about 'everyone being famous for fifteen minutes' has pervaded its way into our society, to the detriment of good honest work.
If people expect workers to be good, then the workers need to be persuaded that hard work IS good, and the world will not be queuing up to offer them luxuries on a silver platter, these things have to be earned.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
If Euro collapses, the British Pound and the us $ follows within 4 weeks.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
This sort of headline should be treated with a LOT of salt. The Daily Mail is a hugely sensationalist tabloid and has been selling fear for years. Yes, there are other sources - one of them is RT, who have very little credibility in my eyes after watching some of the nonsense they've been peddling recently.

I highly doubt the UK would close off its borders entirely, they would just get much stricter with immigration checks in the worst case scenario.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Ramble -tamble, the horsemen ride, the blades flash, first a flash, then another, then the sky is an insane crosshatch of trails from ICBMs launched from everybody.
It's a war that's required here, and if you don't want to play on the pre-defined grid then it's going to get local lots of places.
How ready are you to arm yourself to those who would take your life, or the sustenance of your children?
How ready are you to see that even half a world away, we could ourselves be returned to the bad old days should government well and truly break down.
How many cities would fall before a mushroom cloud should we tread too heavily upon the hands of those who would not bow before us.
Where then are your treasures, America, the glittering diamond of civilized social suicide?
Behold I (FT) KNOX upon the door and it is not opened, I cry to the desert, and I am not heard.
The soldiers said return to your houses or die.
They meant return to your houses AND die.
War is good business kids, and who doesn't want to fly a predator drone from his gameboy et al, box.
Funny, those infantry pieces look like they have analog controls...no? What? You have to hold it and point it at another person? Dayummmmm.
Do they have a gun as well?
Well then, this could get dangerous, so count me out...Draft? What the blooming daylights in a draft?
Mandatory, requirted, forced enlistment into the ranks of the lesser flop footed cannon foder.
Oh you could sign up to be a Sailor like Popeye, but guess what, sunburn missiles are still too big a problem to be ignored, the improvements are stunning, these are no Buzz Bombs, nor Scuds.
So ya wanna fly? Where'd ya go to school? Who do you know? They want some blue blood in there if that billion dollar baby makes a crater, of course you can be a eggbeater driver...good luck with that.
What it all comes down to is too many people going for too few resources.
And that's when the real show starts.
Buckle up Toots, this is gonna be one hell of a ride!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by arollingstone
This sort of headline should be treated with a LOT of salt. The Daily Mail is a hugely sensationalist tabloid and has been selling fear for years. Yes, there are other sources - one of them is RT, who have very little credibility in my eyes after watching some of the nonsense they've been peddling recently.

I highly doubt the UK would close off its borders entirely, they would just get much stricter with immigration checks in the worst case scenario.

nasdaq.com, the official website of The Nasdaq Stock Market, the largest US electronic stock market seems to be taking this seriously as well:

The U.K. Treasury is working on contingency plans for the disintegration of the euro that include capital controls, The Daily Telegraph reported on its website Monday, without saying specifically where it obtained the information.

Preparations are being made only for a worst-case scenario and would run alongside similar limited capital controls across Europe, imposed to contain the economic fall-out of a break-up and to ease the transition to new currencies, the newspaper said.

Officials fear that if one member state left the euro, investors in both that country and other vulnerable euro-zone nations would transfer their funds to safe havens abroad, the newspaper wrote. Capital flight from weak euro nations to countries such as the U.K. would drive up sterling, dealing a devastating blow to the U.K. government's plans to rebalance the economy towards exports, the Telegraph said.

Capital controls form just one part of a broader response to a euro break-up, however, the newspaper said. Borders are expected to be closed and the Foreign Office is preparing to evacuate thousands of British expatriates and holidaymakers from stricken countries, the Telegraph said.
www.nasdaq.com...< br />

Here's the link again to the article from The Telegraph:

Treasury Plans For Euro Failure
The Government is considering plans to restrict the flow of money in and out of Britain to protect the economy in the event of a full-blown euro break-up.

Capital controls form just one part of a broader response to a euro break-up, however. Borders are expected to be closed and the Foreign Office is preparing to evacuate thousands of British expatriates and holidaymakers from stricken countries.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

edit on 12/29/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: formatting

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

The U.K. Treasury is working on contingency plans for the disintegration of the euro that include capital controls, The Daily Telegraph reported on its website Monday, without saying specifically where it obtained the information.

Why can they not reveal their source? Is it Haaretz?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by arollingstone

Why can they not reveal their source? Is it Haaretz?

Q: Why can they not reveal their source?
A: How the deuce would I know?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I didn't mean to imply that you did, but if they fail to mention where they sourced such information - one must be skeptical. They don't even seem to give a reason why they can't mention their source, e.g. protecting anonymity.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by arollingstone

Journalists never reveal their sources, it is against their journalist ethics to do so. Some have even went to jail to protect their sources.

Oh how does certain films we state are fiction come true.

In V for Vindetta the Government closed the borders, and the Government tried to control the UK population. And we all say everyone that comes out of the film industry is no real.. What do they know that we do not. Hmmms

I wonder what will happen if the Euro Collapses, the UK Orders its Borders closed and Scotland votes for independence. How would the UK Government react to that.
edit on 29-12-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by arollingstone

I am guessing it is because it is an officially sanctioned bit of media spin

Could be a "nudge nudge" get your money over here while you can.
or could be "nudge nudge" get your money out while you can..
But I am guessing the first one..

Could also be to come across to the masses that they have an idea what they'll do should it all go pop.. which going by previous attempts means plan b is too run around in circles and to play the blame game.

I guess we'll only find out which it was or if it was something else entirely pretty soon

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I still don't get the bit about the government drawing up plans to assist expats in getting back to the UK.
They are expats because they chose to live abroad, or for the tax breaks they get as a result. If they want to leave their chosen country of residence, then let them pay to make their own way home, if they choose to do so.

In the case of holidaymakers, again, they have return tickets so let them make their own way home, as they planned to do say anyway. Ok, if civil war breaks out where they happen to be then yes, we can provide assistance to get them out if necessary.

As for the closed borders, in the case of immigration, that should have been done a long time ago!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

My parent's spend the majority of the winter in a small house that they bought in the south of Spain. Having both worked hard all their lives they decided to get somewhere nice, for when they retired. It's a very modest house, no swimming pool or anything like that, but they both hate the winters in the UK and wanted to spend their retirement somewhere a little warmer and less depressing.

The majority of Brits they know out there do the same. So there a lot of people with 2nd homes. So if they did get stuck out there with no way of getting back. Maybe the ones who have moved over permantly wouldn't want to come back, but I know my parents and others like them would appreciate any government help.

If there was no way of returning home. I'm sure they would do what they could without any help, but it would be a little harsh to leave them stranded. My Parents are not rich in any way, they both came from working class backgrounds worked hard and invested wisely. In hindsight the house in Spain may prove to be a bad investment, but they have enjoyed their time out there.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Journalists never reveal their sources, it is against their journalist ethics to do so. Some have even went to jail to protect their sources.

That isn't true. If requested, ethical journalists will protect a source's anonymity - if their individual interest outweighs that of the public e.g. if revealing such information would put their lives at risk. That's in the UK anyway.

This is a discussion of public policy and politics and that does not apply, government officials need to be held accountable if they are the source. Even if the Telegraph were trying to protect someone, they would say that's why they can't name the source.

That is correct though, that some have gone to jail to protect their sources.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by David291
reply to post by Ixtab

Yeah I know, I've sent applications etc many times to them but nothing.
it's really confusing me, I know people that are less qualified and less experienced that I getting employed and I'm not even though I'm making more of an effort too.

I was out of work for 9months during Christmas 2010, with a 1 year old child and i was sending applications to everyone, walking down to the Job Centre every 2 weeks being asked the same condescending questions all the time with the same reply's...however, i hadn't tried EVERY angle.

That angle was to go in person without appointment and ask to speak to the manager of the companies with my CV and a suit on and basically sell myself as much as i could.

Now, after successfully being asked to interview, i work in Health and Safety for the worlds biggest Oil and Gas Marine company. I had NO previous HSE experience or marine experience...

There is always something else you can do...trust me

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Also it doesn't mean such help is gratis. They could provide for emergency evacuation for those who cannot make their own arrangements and then send them a bill. Of course, those who cannot afford to repay immediately probably won't be able to, but that doesn't mean the government cannot send them a bill.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir

I think you would see a lot more isolationism occur around the world, but I believe the US would be slow to follow. I think there may be a return to home grown industry here in the US. One day, it will be cheaper in the long run, to manufacture domestically. Though I may not be alive to see it, I think it will come about as the political climate and economics dictate it.

""""If the global economy collapses your going to see some countries trying to merge and a lot more simply closing there borders and ignoring the rest of the world. There will be Greece style riots in every major city in the world. Supply lines will be shattered and there will be massive food and goods shortages... where it goes from there though is anyones guess...
""""
edit on 29-12-2011 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join