It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 195
<< 192  193  194    196  197  198 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Other data site:

Update time = Tue Aug 14 3:30:47 UTC 2012

MAG UTC DATE-TIME
y/m/d h:m:s
LATdeg LONdeg DEPTH KM Region
MAP 7.3 2012/08/14 02:59:42 49.796 145.113 625.7 SEA OF OKHOTSK
MAP 4.5 2012/08/14 02:39:30 36.546 70.966 197.5 HINDU KUSH REGION, AFGHANISTAN
MAP 5.2 2012/08/14 02:14:00 -59.162 -26.167 88.0 SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS REGION
MAP 4.8 2012/08/14 02:06:48 23.885 122.607 25.4 TAIWAN REGION
MAP 4.1 2012/08/14 00:45:51 36.538 70.094 211.4 HINDU KUSH REGION, AFGHANISTAN
MAG UTC DATE-TIME
y/m/d h:m:s LAT
LON
DEPTH KM
Region
MAP 2.5 2012/08/13 23:16:22 59.304 -152.627 70.4 SOUTHERN ALASKA
MAP 4.7 2012/08/13 21:12:29 2.796 92.129 10.2 OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA
MAP 5.4 2012/08/13 20:33:00 34.859 73.672 35.0 PAKISTAN
edit on 13-8-2012 by kennvideo because: f

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
updated to a 7.7 i knew it was bigger!!!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Still curious over what happened to the two 5.1 quakes near San Francisco...

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

This still shows them. One was 6km in depth, the other 66km.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Looks like this quake has been upgraded to Mag 7.7

Magnitude
7.7 Mwc
± 0.04

± 14.5 km

Depth
625.9 km
± 6.9 km

Number of Stations Used
Number of Phases Used
Minimum Distance
1735.5 km (15.59°)
Travel Time Residual
0.68 sec
Azimuthal Gap
16°

Review Status
REVIEWED
Event ID
usc000bz29

Source

I'm too slow, I see.

Since the seismos will be jacked up for the next few hours, I'm off to sleep.
edit on 8/13/2012 by Olivine because: malfunction

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

I think they were reading the other quake happening.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The quakes are not far from oilrigs. Wonder how they handled the quakes. And my main hub is located not far from Yozhno Sakhalinsk airport.

Ahh.. Too deep to be of any concerned and it could barely be felt at the airport.

edit on 13/8/2012 by Roald because: Too deep

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by murkraz

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

Was only a matter of time

Anyone want to predict when & where the next 7+ quake will strike?

Can't believe it's been almost 4 months since the last one!

ADD: Sorry to those in Japan...seems like I awoke the 'earthquake gods' as there have now been 4 quakes between 4 and 5 mag in the last few hours (3 of them around the Ryukyu Islands alone!

edit on 6-8-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: added

I'm thinking off Russia or Alaska, though it could also be anywhere near Oregon or CA.

Just a prediction like you asked for, though. No basis, just guessing.

Do I win cookies?

In any case, here's the long awaited 7, hopefully it's the last big one for 2012.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennvideo
Deep earthquake with 7.5 magnitude hits off eastern Russia, north of Japan: USGS

The arc extends about 2,100 km from Hokkaido, Japan, along the Kuril Islands and the Pacific coast of the Kamchatka, Russia, peninsula to its intersection with the Aleutian arc near the Commander Islands, Russia. It marks the region where the Pacific plate subducts into the mantle beneath the Okhotsk microplate, a part of the larger North America plate. This subduction is responsible for the generation of the Kuril Islands chain and the deep offshore Kuril-Kamchatka trench. Relative to a fixed North America plate, the Pacific plate is moving northwest at a rate that decreases from 83 mm per year at the arc's southern end to 75 mm per year near its northern edge.

Subduction zones such as the Kuril-Kamchatka arc are geologically complex and produce numerous earthquakes from multiple sources. Deformation of the overriding North America plate generates shallow crustal earthquakes, whereas slip at the interface of the plates generates interplate earthquakes that extend from near the base of the trench to depths of 40 to 60 km. At greater depths, Kuril-Kamchatka arc earthquakes occur within the subducting Pacific plate and can reach depths of nearly 700 km. Since 1900, eight great earthquakes (M8.3 or larger) have occurred along the Kuril-Kamchatka arc. They are the M8.4 1923 Kamchatka earthquake, the M8.6 1933 Sanriku-oki, Japan earthquake, the M9.0 1952 Kuril Island earthquake, the M8.4 1958 Kuril Island earthquake, the M8.5 1963 Kuril Island earthquake, the M8.4 1994 Kuril Island earthquake, the M8.3 2003 Hokkiado, Japan earthquake, and the M8.3 2006 Kuril Island earthquake.
edit on 13-8-2012 by kennvideo because: info

Thought I'd add the source for you: Source

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

Was only a matter of time

Anyone want to predict when & where the next 7+ quake will strike?

Can't believe it's been almost 4 months since the last one!

ADD: Sorry to those in Japan...seems like I awoke the 'earthquake gods' as there have now been 4 quakes between 4 and 5 mag in the last few hours (3 of them around the Ryukyu Islands alone!

edit on 6-8-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: added

I'm thinking off Russia or Alaska, though it could also be anywhere near Oregon or CA.

Just a prediction like you asked for, though. No basis, just guessing.

Do I win cookies?

In any case, here's the long awaited 7, hopefully it's the last big one for 2012.

A dozen virtual choc-chip cookies for you!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roald
The quakes are not far from oilrigs. Wonder how they handled the quakes. And my main hub is located not far from Yozhno Sakhalinsk airport.

Ahh.. Too deep to be of any concerned and it could barely be felt at the airport.

edit on 13/8/2012 by Roald because: Too deep

I flagged your thread before it got taken down.

Seems to be down played abit,IMHO.

There needs to be a connection of the dots,if you know what I mean.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Could someone help me understand the differences between shallow and very , very deep quakes? For instance , the 6mile deep ones compared to the Russian offshore quake that listed as 600+ deep?
I'm very curious and would love to learn.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The LA Times is reporting that those CA quakes were false triggers.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...
edit on 14-8-2012 by schweizer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Now look here, research on plate tectonics on Mars is absolutely essential to ensure the safety of the mining teams and equipment that get sent there when the USA discovers oil, gas and rare earth minerals, tears up the moratorium on ownership of space objects and plants US flags all over the surface.

And excuse me, what is all this about having Mag 7 earthquakes while I am asleep?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

mom just throught she'd try and sneek one by you lol!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ujustneverknow

First I will point you to the inevitable Wikipedia. For some things it is good, but for anything where an unbiased opinion is required I would avoid it.

The majority of tectonic earthquakes originate at the ring of fire in depths not exceeding tens of kilometers. Earthquakes occurring at a depth of less than 70 km are classified as 'shallow-focus' earthquakes, while those with a focal-depth between 70 and 300 km are commonly termed 'mid-focus' or 'intermediate-depth' earthquakes. In subduction zones, where older and colder oceanic crust descends beneath another tectonic plate, deep-focus earthquakes may occur at much greater depths (ranging from 300 up to 700 kilometers).[14] These seismically active areas of subduction are known as Wadati-Benioff zones. Deep-focus earthquakes occur at a depth where the subducted lithosphere should no longer be brittle, due to the high temperature and pressure. A possible mechanism for the generation of deep-focus earthquakes is faulting caused by olivine undergoing a phase transition into a spinel structure.[15]

Source: Wikipedia - Earthquake

This is the generally accepted set of distances, but there are some variations out there.

The USGS also uses a depth scale on their maps/Google Earth and this is defined as 0-33, 33 to 70, 70 to 150, 150 to 300, 300 to 500, 500 to 800 so you can see that for colouring they divide the three bands in half again.

Personally I think of < 33 to 40 km as shallow and anything over 200 km as deep, but you can ignore me and Earthquake report who I think also define shallow as under 40 km. Basically this is because you are far more likely to get damage below this depth.

edit on 14/8/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

You jest of course. Plenty more mag 7 to come yet as we have to get to at least 12 for the year minimum. If the mongers of doom are to be believed we will have such as rash of massive earthquakes in December that it will bring the world to an end

I often wonder just what these people are going to do as we sail past 21st December 2012 and on into 2013 and there is no doom, no end of the world, no rapture, no tribulation, no second coming, no space invasion, no mega tsunami, no horsemen of the apocalypse, no Antichrist and all we are left with is economic doom which has nothing to do with any of the above and is the result of pure banker and investor greed and corruption.

It must be a serious disappointment to believe in all this BS and then not have it happen.

Earlier I said we may have 15 or 16 mag 7+ earthquakes for the year. To fit that in before the end of the year is a lot of energy, but I don't think I would say it can't happen because it can. It may be,however, that 12 for the year is more like what will happen.

As with any estimate of this nature I shall revise this as less information comes to light and remove all traces of earlier estimates.
thus enabling me to be correct at all times.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Thank you !
I've been watching the maps and following this thread and any posts here for quite a while now , I was looking to see if maybe depth meant different things. Obviously it can but those REALLY deep ones interest me.
i also wanted to ask you personally if you find the last several days to be more active than usual. As an amateur I do! and it seems they're just all over randomly and then you have concentrated areas that are getting "picked on".lol
I know they happen every day but some areas are just going nuts these past few days...like Alaska (those appear to be moving inland)...creeping if you wil. Also near Italy and Greece. A small cluster on the Sandwich Islands region and Peru as well. then factor in all the high 5's and 6's ,followed by the 7.7. At the very least makes for an interesting observation.
and of course not forgetting thoughts and hope for all of the victims of these terrifying quakes.
edit on 14-8-2012 by ujustneverknow because: sorry! just remembered the few dotting the Atlantic ridge...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Oh, I jest. I know there will be more, one can hope though, though by not releasing that energy it could in turn be a bad thing for potential 7+ quakes I assume.

Speaking of which, where's Vanuatu these days?

In all honesty, I feel like we are indeed coming up on some active weeks. The year came with a long pause, then that outburst amidst the twin strike slip quakes. Then came a fair silence and now we're back at it again. Randomly irritating these things can be. With regards to 2012, you make an grim note of being left with the economics. Me personally, I'm going to be staring over my shoulder a little on that date with a little case of the heebie-jeebies

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
LDEO has pulled access now to their surface wave chart, at

www.ldeo.columbia.edu...

There appears to be a new website up, but I still haven't found their surface wave listings.
www.ldeo.columbia.edu...

So that's gone, and gives us no more comparing USGS quake estimates that I can see. Instead looks like the globalists have succeeded in putting in their World Data System:

www.icsu-wds.org...

NOAA has removed theirs as well here:
www.ngdc.noaa.gov...

I guess next they will make it ILLEGAL to even talk about earthquakes, and detain you indefinitely under NDAA for that too.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Lawd, I just woke up!

Coffee is in hand though, otherwise I would see nothing but letters that made no sense.

Ok.... So we have the Cali quake that wasnt actually a quake?

We have the Sea of whatever producing a deep but not harmful quake?

Ok... So far so good.... Everyone is cool, calm, and collective? Even PM is making jokes this morning! Lol

Holds my coffee up and says here is to no killer quakes today!

top topics

<< 192  193  194    196  197  198 >>

join