It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians do not need to tell the world about Jesus

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

I don't know what bible you read but the one i read Jesus explicitly commanded the apostles to go out and preach the good news and they said we all should do this as well. If no one preached the word of Christ then no one would know of him today and christianity would have fell into obscurity.

You completely failed to read my posts. Apostles, Christians, seperate, brain, see it.

The great wonderous thing has been done. Jesus has been sent throughout the world. The job of the apostles has been completed. Learn to live Your AGE!
edit on 18-12-2011 by greyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by greyer

A Christian should lead by example. If their example is not good enough to incite curiosity from the uninitiated, they are doing it wrong.

Before I lead I need to aquire the knowledge, thats what everybody I am mentioning fails to do. I believe I have aquired the knowledge, now I don't believe in word.

I Just Believe In Example.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by greyer

I don't know what bible you read but the one i read Jesus explicitly commanded the apostles to go out and preach the good news and they said we all should do this as well. If no one preached the word of Christ then no one would know of him today and christianity would have fell into obscurity.

You completely failed to read my posts. Apostles, Christians, seperate, brain, see it.

The great wonderous thing has been done. Jesus has been sent throughout the world. The job of the apostles has been completed. Learn to live Your AGE!

That age never stops until the cycle is completed. Nothing that has come before passes away until the very end. I didn't fail to read your post (thanks for the disrespectful words btw), if i failed anything it came in the form of misunderstanding what your intention was.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

That age never stops until the cycle is completed. Nothing that has come before passes away until the very end. I didn't fail to read your post (thanks for the disrespectful words btw), if i failed anything it came in the form of misunderstanding what your intention was.

If you want to get into disrespectful words, saying I don't know which Bible you read is arguing words, disrespectul to be the first words that come out of your mouth when you post to me. Let's not get off subject and know that even though it may be hard, we will wake up tomorrow ready to set an example in the world. This is not an example of the world or religion, but of the belief that there was a person born who did guide the apostles to write of him and complete the Bible.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

That was beautifully put. With the exception of #3, I wholeheartedly agree.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by greyer

I agree, I have a 'relationship' with god. I do'nt go to church, I do'nt subject myself to rediculous superstitions. I have a friend whos heavily religious, and we really get into it. Even though we are agreed when it comes it religious truth, just not religious specifics! And I CANNOT stand the jesus talk.

I heard a joke:

Even if you went up to the pope and said 'i'd like to talk to you about jesus', he'd say: 'easy freak, gotta keep work at work.'

Jim gaffigan, beyond the pale I believe.

Christians, everyone agrees with you, give it a REST. Least the muslims do'nt come to your door.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by greyer

You have to remember each person is unique in Christ. And each person has a different gift. I do believe that if you are a Christian, there are 2 things that you should do. Be a living example of the love of Christ so that others will believe the Spirit lives in you. And second, if you are not called to spread the good news, you should at minimum encourage everyone to read the bible for themselves as you have.

26 I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him. 1 John 2:26-27

So you see if you lead someone to read the bible God promises to do the rest. I would recommend that you encourage them, if possible, to disregard anything they have been previously taught, and let God teach them the lesson fit for them.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I remember in art school, a painting lecturer once telling me...that while my peers and I were arguing the finer points of art and non-art in such a serious manner - we were producing...NO ART...

Talking about 'stuff', isn't...doing that 'stuff'...
...and the (quite frankly) monologonous nature of the rants of some christians is not (to me, at least) an indication of a follower of Christ. Actions speak louder than words, and they are the true measure of your integrity...being able to quote scripture and articulate the finer ponts of Genesis, is, in the end, just words...
You will be known by what you do...not say...

Akushla

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Originally posted by 547000
Fair point. But not sharing Jesus is just irresponsible. At the very least get people interested by the way you live. Someone might end up roasting in hell forever.

You see this is the kind of statement which turns people against Christianity, people threatening us non believers with Hell.....
Iam a good person and if there is a Heaven and Hell Iam sure God will let me in because of what I have done in my life not what man made Church I follow.

You are correct in the fact that Christians mistakenly say that unbelievers will go to hell. There is only one judge. Even if as a Christian you have the opinion that an unbeliever will go to hell you are explicitly told not to judge, lest you be judged by the same measure. So Jesus makes many judgments against the Pharisees and Sadducees but you see since he was son of God he had authority as judge. As a Christian myself I understand many things but here are 2 of them.

1. I am to judge no man as I am only instructed to love (note it is acceptable to correct a fellow believer, so long as you do so out of love and restrict judgment)
2. I am only certain of my salvation as I do not know any mans secrets or what is in their heart.

I would only urge you to give the bible a chance. If you can read it open to the possibility that God can speak to you through the word it may change your life. I cannot explain to you how it can change your life but it has changed mine.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Hey Superior Ed, I agree with everything you said but I’m not sure all will follow your thought. I usually simplify this for my children and non-believers by saying this.

Choose to do God’s will, which is love.

Never respond without patiently considering God’s will, which is love, because your tongue is your deadliest weapon.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Deciding the work of apostles is done is only one interpretation. As brothers in Christ you need to be willing to accept that others do not believe this work is done. We should not argue this point as it is not necessary for us to have this same interpretation. The spirit is our teacher and will call each of us according to his will. Therefore we do not need to concern ourselves with our differences, but only to love our brothers as Christ has instructed.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by greyer

You have expressed yourself very rationally greyer, for which I implore you.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Christianity has two mandates from Christ, to spread the word of the good news of salvation and to keep his commandments.

Lone Wolf I believe that we are both saying the same thing here but I ask you to consider the following.

The Old Testament taught man to follow laws which man was and is incapable of doing.

The New Testament teaches that we are forgiven our sins and through faith have received the gift of the Holy Spirit to guide us.

So when you say that you must follow the commandments many new or unbelievers assume you are speaking about living according to the law.

I would recommend that you say we are instructed to do the will of our father through the guidance of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. By following the will of God we will be unable to break the commandments.

I believe that only through a full understanding of what is offered by the Holy Spirit can one understand how to choose to do God’s will.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by greyer

A Christian should lead by example. If their example is not good enough to incite curiosity from the uninitiated, they are doing it wrong.

Before I lead I need to aquire the knowledge, thats what everybody I am mentioning fails to do. I believe I have aquired the knowledge, now I don't believe in word.

I Just Believe In Example.

You do not have to believe in your words, or even man's words. I believe this is one of the biggest problems today. Everyone is running around trying to spread their version of the message. And I’m not talking about what translation you use.

My personal opinion is if anyone wants to start spreading the word read Colossians to someone. If this begins a conversation then you should refer to other passages in the bible to clarify anything that the listener may not have understood.

If God had a better way to say it I imagine it would have been included in the bible.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by greyer

I was raised as a christian, but I no longer believe partly due to people, like some of the ones in this threaf who claim to be christians. So many christians don't realize that they turn so many people away from god because they preach and preach but but people can't see any sign of god in their life. What they do see however is quite scary.

Having been a christian I am going to try to say this in a way I hope christians can understand.
Let's say for a second that god does exist, meaning satan does too. That would make several of the so called christians in this thread "tools of satan" because they are literally driving people away from god. You are one of the first christians I have seen that would actually piss satan off, that is if you truly tried living your life according to the teachings of christ.
The rest of you don't seem to realize how many points you are earning with satan, you think you are doing gods work by sharing christ,but you are actually building a barrier between people and him
IF you truly have christ in your life then people will come to you and ask questions, if thats not happening, than maybe you should rethink who you are representing to people.
edit on 19-12-2011 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? Mathew 7:3

Here is the real problem. It is not telling someone about the bible and quoting scripture that is the problem. The problem lies in most Christians take a place of righteousness that only belongs to Christ. They become the judge and condemn others while they too are sinners.

I have realized that living a life fitting of Christ and pointing people to the bible is the best thing for most of us Christians to do.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by cuervo

That was beautifully put. With the exception of #3, I wholeheartedly agree.

Thank you.

What I mean by number 3 is this. If a person chooses reward that was not earned, it comes back as suffering at the end. Smoke and you get cancer. Rob a bank and live with the guilt. Spend too much money and suffer payments that cannot be made.

If a person flips this the other direction, suffering becomes the central starting point. Suffer work before purchases and there are no debts. Suffer a college education and get a degree. Suffer a job and get a paycheck. Suffering needs to be the starting point to see true reward earned.

In the end, it's a matter of give and take. Giving suffers first. Taking suffers later.

Good thread.
edit on 19-12-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25

Hey Superior Ed, I agree with everything you said but I’m not sure all will follow your thought. I usually simplify this for my children and non-believers by saying this.

Choose to do God’s will, which is love.

Never respond without patiently considering God’s will, which is love, because your tongue is your deadliest weapon.

Well said. This goes to the heart of giving and taking. We take to do our will and give to do God's will.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by greyer

Christ said there are only 2 commandments:

1. Love God with all your heart.

2. Love your brother as yourself.

If this were put into action and not just talked the talk by following everything written EXCEPT those 2 edicts... there would be PEACE in the world.

Yes very nice when understood in a whole Christian paradigm.

If we take the second commandment (both of them are actually paraphrased from the OT) literally as it stands, and I had to love my equal male brother as myself, then Michelle Bachmann will personally drag me to the next cold shower!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerVerboten
reply to post by greyer

I agree, I have a 'relationship' with god. I do'nt go to church, I do'nt subject myself to rediculous superstitions. I have a friend whos heavily religious, and we really get into it. Even though we are agreed when it comes it religious truth, just not religious specifics! And I CANNOT stand the jesus talk.

I heard a joke:

Even if you went up to the pope and said 'i'd like to talk to you about jesus', he'd say: 'easy freak, gotta keep work at work.'

Jim gaffigan, beyond the pale I believe.

Christians, everyone agrees with you, give it a REST. Least the muslims do'nt come to your door.

Ha Ha funny joke, thank you for agreeing. I have been given some information, and I want to go with it. It has to do with magic, outer space, Jesus... knowledge is being given to me, that those Christians miss, all their words are a product from the world, they are a product from evil man.

One thing that I desperately want to figure out and change is that I have succomb to ridiculous superstitions, like knocking on wood. I heard that a superstition is like a mockery to God, I need to get rid of all superstitions because my brain is full of large superstitions that I believe in, I don't believe them as much as Jesus, for me to knock on wood is like a way of saying that I don't want the spiritual attachment of things to affect me, I want them to miss me like you would want germs to miss you from somebody's cold.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join