It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange growth found on nuclear fuel

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I can't believe no one has said spider MAN yet

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
Spider Webs? Radiation?
Did there happen to be a nerdy newspaper photographer around?
One with an incredibly hot red headed girlfriend?
Was there also a small time criminal in the web with a note attached for the police?

.......this poster beat you to it.

This is a link to another thread on ATS discussing the possibility of it being fungus.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 17-12-2011 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Most likely the result of electrolysis. If it is a Mycelium, it would be of great importance as it would
be yet another sign of life acclimated, or even adapting to yet another enviroment that was prior
considered inhospitable.

Then again, it could be faulty materials that had undergone oxidization convieniently unnoticed.

It would be interesting to read the sample test results. S&F

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
I found an interesting article from December 8th, 2011 about fungus feeding on nuclear radiation that I think will fit in good with this topic.

www.zmescience.com...

Chernnobyl fungus feeds on nuclear radiation
You know Chernobyl, right? The place of the biggest nuclear accident in the world? The place is so radioactive nobody lives in the vicinity anymore, and nearby plants are suffering major amounts of radiation. However, not everybody is sad about this event; a type of fungi (mushrooms) possess an ability beyond imagination: they can take the lethal radiation and use it as a source of energy to feed and grow. Researchers have called them radiotrophic fungus.

For some 500 million years, fungi have been inhabiting this planet, feeding on whatever they could finding, filling every biological niche they could find. But who could have actually guessed that they could feed on nuclear radiation? Researchers from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AEC) had a hunch, and they investigated it to test. They first got the idea after reading that samples brought from Chernobyl were filled with some black fungi growing on it.

“I found that very interesting and began discussing with colleagues whether these fungi might be using the radiation emissions as an energy source,” explained Casadevall.

Casadevall and his co-researchers then set about performing a variety of tests using several different fungi; two types of mushrooms were used, one that had naturally contains melanin, and one that was injected with the substance. They were then exposed to radiation levels 500 times bigger than the normal ones. The result? Both of them grew much faster than normally, when exposed to radiation.

“Just as the pigment chlorophyll converts sunlight into chemical energy that allows green plants to live and grow, our research suggests that melanin can use a different portion of the electromagnetic spectrum – ionizing radiation – to benefit the fungi containing it,” said co-researcher Ekaterina Dadachova.

They took the research one step further, and found some extremely interesting answers, which raise more questions. The melanin in these radiotrophic fungi is chemically identical to the melanin in our own bodies, and this led them to believe that it could be actually providing energy for skin cells. Perhaps even more interesting, this find has a special importance for space missions.

edit on 16-12-2011 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

Great something actually scientific. So basically they are able to convert the radiation energy into physical attributes like their cells I wonder though are there skin cells radioactive as well or has it been neutralized.

I wish everyone could be serious when talking about this instead of the Spiderman comments.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Mushroom mycelium looks exactly like a white web. Mycelium grows like a network of a fine, white thread throughout nature and feeds off of dying or dead organic material.

However, a genius mycologist by the name of Paul Stamets has found a way to train specific mushroom strains to feed off of and absorb more artificial and deadly materials. He successfully used his mycelium to soak up and rehabilitate a huge pile of dirt saturated with oil and gasoline. He also has top secret patents that have been mentioned in Jane's Defense Weekly that are strains of mushroom being used to depotentiate or clean up uranium. It is absolutely amazing. For anyone not aware, I recommend his book "Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World". You can hear him talk about these groundbreaking discoveries here:

edit on 17-12-2011 by corsair00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Areyoupeopleinsane

Originally posted by steveknows

I'm surprised by the immaturity of your responses to the article. Is this something to be expected from you?

Perhaps the better synopsis is that we may have discovered an organism capable of withstanding high levels of radiation. We can then endeavor to determine by what mechanism it obtains this capability and perhaps use it to treat radiation sickness, and or adapt our bodies to better withstand the effects of radiation.

But hoping the containment facilities are sufficient to prevent a zombie attack is ludicrous at best.

Alot of organisms can handle high levels of radiation. It's not a biggy.

Which ones?

www.theguardians.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
I can't believe no one has said spider MAN yet

You musta missed it. Let me quote it for you. (It wasn't me, I wasn't that quick or on the ball!)

Spider Webs? Radiation?
Was there also a small time criminal in the web with a note attached for the police?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Wouldn't that be crazy if this is a new life form and it actually eats/disposes of spent nuclear fuel? No shortage of food for it.

That is what is coming to mind. Something feeding off and disposing of our waste.

Those pics of the web fungi are very interesting.
edit on 18-12-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by corsair00
Mushroom mycelium looks exactly like a white web. Mycelium grows like a network of a fine, white thread throughout nature and feeds off of dying or dead organic material.

However, a genius mycologist by the name of Paul Stamets has found a way to train specific mushroom strains to feed off of and absorb more artificial and deadly materials. He successfully used his mycelium to soak up and rehabilitate a huge pile of dirt saturated with oil and gasoline. He also has top secret patents that have been mentioned in Jane's Defense Weekly that are strains of mushroom being used to depotentiate or clean up uranium. It is absolutely amazing. For anyone not aware, I recommend his book "Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World". You can hear him talk about these groundbreaking discoveries here:

edit on 17-12-2011 by corsair00 because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the link and info, that´s one book I need to read.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Wouldn't that be crazy if this is a new life form and it actually eats/disposes of spent nuclear fuel? No shortage of food for it.

Cool: your idea

Not Cool: said organism's flatulence

Consequences could be where Fukushima meets Hiroshima. This is the end of your pleasant holiday distraction.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by Gwampo

Spider Webs? Radiation?

.......this poster beat you to it.

This is a link to another thread on ATS discussing the possibility of it being fungus.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So i did a CTRL+F and no where in that post does it say "spiderman" LOLOLOLOL noob

edit on 17-12-2011 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
When I saw this notice, I remembered that many people claims they saw a similar substance that appears when an UFO fly overhead..: ".. is a substance said to be dispersed from UFOs as they fly overhead. It has been described as being like a cobweb or a jelly. It has also been reported at sightings of the Virgin Mary." "> ... It is named for its similarity to fine hair, or spider webs. ...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I bet it is anti biotic resistant for an start, so lets hope it keeps its host as Spent Fuel not humans.

I wonder also if its related to this:

There is an ATS Thread here with much interesting and sick stuff on lol.

New Life Form in Sewers?

LOl

I find this fascinating, I am no "noob" when it comes to biology etc and this is really really interesting, it seems to confirm recent finds that life will always find an way an niche, even if its a new environment.

It seems no matter what the environment, pressure, acidity, oxygen levels, lack or not of water, heat, radiation levels, toxins, pollutions life will always in one way or another survive, adapt and thrive.

This makes the idea of no life outside the earth that is fairly advanced (as this is not an single cell organism, virus or prion) becoming more and more the musings of those who wont face hard facts and science.

I mean think about this this New organism must have evolved over the last 50-60 years, there was no spent fuel rods before that time.

So apparently if proven to be biological a totally new lifeform (within Fungi) has adapted to one of the most sterile and hostile places on earth, an nuclear reactor and managed to not only survive but it seems grow.

Kind regards,

Elf
edit on 19-12-2011 by MischeviousElf because: layout

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I'm surprised by the immaturity of your responses to the article. Is this something to be expected from you?

Perhaps the better synopsis is that we may have discovered an organism capable of withstanding high levels of radiation. We can then endeavor to determine by what mechanism it obtains this capability and perhaps use it to treat radiation sickness, and or adapt our bodies to better withstand the effects of radiation.

But hoping the containment facilities are sufficient to prevent a zombie attack is ludicrous at best.

Alot of organisms can handle high levels of radiation. It's not a biggy.

Which ones?

www.theguardians.com...

If you are talking about Deinococcus radiodurans, they resist Ionizing Radiation, but they need food to grow first, then apply Ionizing Radiation to see the resistant, so they can't grow on nuclear waste.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I found this commentary in the youtube page.. It makes sense..

"it is not an alien and not unknown, just rare. It is a colony of tubifex worms, coiled around each other, and covered with some slime ~ what looks like tentacles are individual worms. When one worm moves it causes the rest to move almost at once and thus you get the pulsing"

JHDarren 2 weeks ago

But certainly it is very creep!!

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
I bet it is anti biotic resistant for an start, so lets hope it keeps its host as Spent Fuel not humans.

I wonder also if its related to this:

There is an ATS Thread here with much interesting and sick stuff on lol.

New Life Form in Sewers?

LOl

I find this fascinating, I am no "noob" when it comes to biology etc and this is really really interesting, it seems to confirm recent finds that life will always find an way an niche, even if its a new environment.

It seems no matter what the environment, pressure, acidity, oxygen levels, lack or not of water, heat, radiation levels, toxins, pollutions life will always in one way or another survive, adapt and thrive.

This makes the idea of no life outside the earth that is fairly advanced (as this is not an single cell organism, virus or prion) becoming more and more the musings of those who wont face hard facts and science.

I mean think about this this New organism must have evolved over the last 50-60 years, there was no spent fuel rods before that time.

So apparently if proven to be biological a totally new lifeform (within Fungi) has adapted to one of the most sterile and hostile places on earth, an nuclear reactor and managed to not only survive but it seems grow.

Kind regards,

Elf
edit on 19-12-2011 by MischeviousElf because: layout

edit on 19-12-2011 by nitroglico because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2011 by nitroglico because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
What about this?

"When I saw this notice, I remembered that many people claims they saw a similar substance that appears when an UFO fly overhead..: ".. is a substance said to be dispersed from UFOs as they fly overhead. It has been described as being like a cobweb or a jelly. It has also been reported at sightings of the Virgin Mary." "> ... It is named for its similarity to fine hair, or spider webs. ...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I think the greatest thing anyone can learn from this story is that life will find its way into every place possible it can live in.

If this is indeed a living organism of some kind, it should point the way to the reality of life on Mars and other places within our own solar system. It shows that life thrives in the most incredible places just as we are learning from exploring the oceans and finding smoke stacks that are coated in life forms where we thought nothing could live.

The eyes and minds of science are being opened in unexpected ways, this is one of them.

Life is everywhere!

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Keep an eye on it, the timing is especially interesting, knowing this event has never ever been cured in any way.

Just to add. Small amount of radiations are said to be beneficial to the human body
. What about insects, and animals?

Mutation in a positive way?

Thruthseek3r
edit on 22-12-2011 by thruthseek3r because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

sorry if this was already posted
edit on 2/6/2012 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Maybe the fungus can ingest radiation. That would help reduce our build up of toxins on the planet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join