It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's a potential act of terrorism worth in gaol time?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Three men who conspired to plan a terrorism attack on the Holsworthy Army base have been sentenced to 18 years in jail.

Another thank you from extremist for being allowed to live in a healthy wealthy country and all they get is 18 years. They'll still be young enough to continue to threaten our society when they get out.

The men must serve 13-and-a-half years before they are eligible for parole

The men, originally from Lebanon and Somalia, plotted a shooting at the Sydney Army base, intending to kill as many people as they could until they themselves were shot dead.

What's it worth? I think Australia needs to bring back capital punishment for cases like this

. These people say that they're fighting a war but if you live among your enemy, hide within the civilian population, don't wear a uniform designating the army you belong to and you say you're fighting a war then by that definition you're subject to the war time punishment when you're caught which is capital punishment.

Fattal believed that Australia, its Government and its troops were all at war with Islam, and he considered all non-Muslims as infidels

He will not obey prison guards, tries to convert other prisoners, and it is considered a management problem

au.news.yahoo.com...
edit on 16-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I take it you are from Australia, posting this? I wonder if you could clarify something on this story which would tend to make all the difference in my mind for what these guys are getting. Just what is 18 years of prison time in Australia?

Time off for good behavior? Early paroles? I don't know enough about Australia's system to really know what to think. I've read Scandinavian 'prison' systems may as well be a Holiday Inn with locked doors in some cases..or were in the not too distant past anyway. Conversely, I understand time in some East European prisons can make a week seem like a month.

So... will this be 18 comfy years, or can the prisoners down under find ways to make the lives of 3 terrorists rather challenging...every hour of every day...of those years?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I understand Terrorists in one aspect, If my family was killed due to sanctions/bombs ect boy I would get really mad and yes I would want revenge.
We have to look at the reason's why they are doing it and solve them.
I just don't buy the fact that all Muslims want to destroy all the west also remember one days freedom fighter is the next days Terrorist.
Watch Rambo 3 it is so weird seeing Stallone fighting for the Taliban.
18 years? I think that is enough.
Kill them? Nah I thought you lot were better than that.
edit on 16-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I understand Terrorists in one aspect, If my family was killed due to sanctions/bombs ect boy I would get really mad and yes I would want revenge.
I just don't buy the fact that all Muslims want to destroy all the west also remember one days freedom fighter is the next days Terrorist.

The Taliban were the governing body of Afghanistan when al-Qaeda attacked the west and the Taliban supported trained and harboured al-Qaeda.

The allies bombed Germany in WW2. They did that because the governing body of Germany started it. The Germans were bombed because of Hitler so it's Hitlers fault that Germans suffered. It's the Talibans fault that Afghans have suffered.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I take it you are from Australia, posting this? I wonder if you could clarify something on this story which would tend to make all the difference in my mind for what these guys are getting. Just what is 18 years of prison time in Australia?

Time off for good behavior? Early paroles? I don't know enough about Australia's system to really know what to think. I've read Scandinavian 'prison' systems may as well be a Holiday Inn with locked doors in some cases..or were in the not too distant past anyway. Conversely, I understand time in some East European prisons can make a week seem like a month.

So... will this be 18 comfy years, or can the prisoners down under find ways to make the lives of 3 terrorists rather challenging...every hour of every day...of those years?

Of course it will be compy. And being Terrorist they'll be in protective custody no doubt. They'll be able to get uni degrees paid for by the tax payer and pretty much anything else. Prisons today aren't what they used to be apparently.

Though they've been gaoled for 18 years they can apply for parole in 13 years.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Actually, the Taliban initially offered to hand OBL over if the US could provide evidence that he was involved. The US completely ignored them and attacked anyway.
edit on 16/12/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Actually, the Taliban initially offered to hand OBL over if the US could provide evidence that he was involved. The US completely ignored them and attacked anyway.
edit on 16/12/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

They still harboured them and at the end of the day that was their choice.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Well, Hurray for the 13 of 18, anyway. That is something compared to 50/50 good behavior as some systems have it.

Umm.. University Degrees?? Huh? Wow.. Things are comfy. I'm sorry to hear that Australia will likely put them in protective custody. The U.S. would do the same thing in a federal prison....and has for the few we have convicted over the years since 1993 and the first WTC bombing. Protective Custody for a terrorist in the U.S. likely means a Super-Max facility though like Florence, Colorado. No University programs for them...

..That part shocks me. G.E.D./High School? Sure.. That makes sense.. Even technical skill training in prison. Most will get out some day. However... You really mean like Associates - Doctorate type University programs, don't you?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

How is it considered "harbouring" if they offered to hand him over? I see nothing wrong with wanting a little proof, something the US didn't seem to want to oblige them.

Instead, they just attacked.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Gaol time? Sorry, But what...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

It's the alternative spelling to "Jail", commonly used in places like Australia.

Please, learn about the big wide world.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Well, Hurray for the 13 of 18, anyway. That is something compared to 50/50 good behavior as some systems have it.

Umm.. University Degrees?? Huh? Wow.. Things are comfy. I'm sorry to hear that Australia will likely put them in protective custody. The U.S. would do the same thing in a federal prison....and has for the few we have convicted over the years since 1993 and the first WTC bombing. Protective Custody for a terrorist in the U.S. likely means a Super-Max facility though like Florence, Colorado. No University programs for them...

..That part shocks me. G.E.D./High School? Sure.. That makes sense.. Even technical skill training in prison. Most will get out some day. However... You really mean like Associates - Doctorate type University programs, don't you?

Not at all. A prisoner has a right to continue education and if that's a uni degree then it's a uni degree. However at a guess I think there'd be restrictions on what they can get a degree in. I doubt they'll let them go anywhere near engineering or chemistry etc. But that's not the point and I don't know nor care we're their education is at.

I think that they should be in until they're very very old men and I actually believe that if we're fighting a war on terror and those terrorist hide in civilian populations then they should be subject to capital punishment.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

How is it considered "harbouring" if they offered to hand him over? I see nothing wrong with wanting a little proof, something the US didn't seem to want to oblige them.

Instead, they just attacked.

They didn't hand them over regardless of their excuse for not doing so. That's harbouring and even delaying to make time to ge them to safer ground.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

So the Taliban ask for proof of OBL's involvement from the US before they hand him over. The US completely ignores this and claims they are harbouring him regardless.

The obvious question is: If the US was so sure about OBL's involvement, why didn't they just give the Taliban the proof, collect OBL and save many hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
...and countries 'practicing', war games?...could this be considered 'potential acts of terrorism' on the part of governments? The stockpiling of weapons etc...potential acts of terrorism? Round table think tanks discussing possible scenarios from possible scenarios...potential acts of terrorism?

All depends what side of the fence you want to stand on...

Akushla

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

The Taliban were the governing body of Afghanistan when al-Qaeda attacked the west and the Taliban supported trained and harboured al-Qaeda.

The allies bombed Germany in WW2. They did that because the governing body of Germany started it. The Germans were bombed because of Hitler so it's Hitlers fault that Germans suffered. It's the Talibans fault that Afghans have suffered.

Steveknows,
How do YOU know??
Are YOU repeating what You have been TOLD????

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
...and what a mess would ensue if 'thought-crimes' became mandated...

...ever thought about eradicating a bunch of people en masse? (seems to be alot of it around these days)...potential act of terrorism?

Akushla

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

So the Taliban ask for proof of OBL's involvement from the US before they hand him over. The US completely ignores this and claims they are harbouring him regardless.

The obvious question is: If the US was so sure about OBL's involvement, why didn't they just give the Taliban the proof, collect OBL and save many hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars?

Yes but the U.S didn't place the Taliban in the firing line the Taliban did. They could have always told Bin ladin and he's mob to go but chose not to.

Anyway this is about terrorists attacking their host country and should they face capital punishment. It's not about discussing what the Taliban should and shouldn't have done.

If these people want to have a war with us that's fine but they should put in a uniform and be seen as prisoners of war or continue to hide among us and be shot as per the laws of war. 18 years isn't enough. They should die.
edit on 16-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99
...and what a mess would ensue if 'thought-crimes' became mandated...

...ever thought about eradicating a bunch of people en masse? (seems to be alot of it around these days)...potential act of terrorism?

Akushla

Perhaps you might want to read the link. it's not a thought crime. They were preparing for it. Getting ready. Arming themsleves and planning. That;s not just a thought. Potential is that they were caught before they could carry it out.

I't's sad that had to be explained I think.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by gravitor

Originally posted by steveknows

Steveknows,
How do YOU know??
Are YOU repeating what You have been TOLD????

Yep that's right I'm one of the ignorant masses which have been fooled into believing that our friends are our enemies and our government and media are our friends.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join