It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British town grows all of its own vegetables FREE, witnesses improved civic life and reduced crime a

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Go girl....found this site...for what seeds it's worth. It's not in the U.K., but it's a start.

Form a Planning Committee
Choose a Site
Prepare and Develop the Site
Organize the Garden
Insurance
Setting up a New Gardening Organization
Organizational Considerations | Bylaws
How to Manage Your Community Garden
Sample Guidelines and Rules | Application Form
Troubleshooting
Children's Plots | People Problems and Solutions
Resources
Horticultural information | Seeds | Bedding plants

FORM A PLANNING COMMITTEE
Determine if there really is a need and desire for a garden.
What kind of garden--vegetable, flower, trees, a combination?
Who will the garden serve--youth, seniors, special populations, people who just want an alternative to trash?
If the project is meant to benefit a particular group or neighborhood, it is essential that the group be involved in all phases.
Organize a meeting of interested people......

There is a growing population of master gardeners where I live because of a course of study in gardening offered to the community through a university in exchange for people giving back community service time and trowel in public garden spaces. It has been a resounding success and continues to grow. I could see these folks helping with such an initiative.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful, simple idea.

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by angelchemuel

On the other hand, we could try this everywhere and anyone caught ruining it could be put in stocks in the local town centre! The more i think of this, the more i like it! It may finally cut down on the number of scumbags walking around........

Aha! You see! The stocks and rotten fruit and veg doooooo go together!
Loving it!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Now I know where I want to move to.

This is so the way forward, feeding each other instead of struggling to buy food which has pesticides and all sorts of nasties in it.

The spirit of the Diggers does indeed, linger on
("they were dispersed but still the vision lingers on")

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Brilliant! Thank you soooo much for that info....will look into it later this evening, when it's dark Mwahahahaha!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Where? Tod or Birchwood?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

That is truely brilliant and should be rolled out across the UK. It does make a mockery of what is going on in the USA

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
why would our government want us to live in harmony when they want us to be in constant fear? if we did this in america, monsantos would eventually sue us for somehow growing one of their patented strains. and twist the story around and say we are supplying these vegetables to the terrorists and all get sent to the fema camps. this will not end well here. i'm partially kidding but wouldn't surprise me if it really were to happen with all the madness going on...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Woohoo my first post!

I think this is pretty awesome and would like to see it implemented all over the UK (the world?), but I don't see the Government allowing it, as well as the large supermarket chains that make a hell of a lot of money from fresh (in the most minimal meaning of the word) produce.

Remember that family from Willand?
foodfreedom.wordpress.com...

If the idea did start to catch though, i can picture many happy friends and family allotments being trashed and ruined by the UK's delinquents that have nothing better to do than attack random people in the street and burn cars for fun.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think some of you are missing the points here.
1. There are more of us than 'them'...they need to eat too.
2. Supermarkets....who supplies them? We could change that!
3. Read the article again...crime rates gone down.

From small acorns mighty oaks do grow!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is brilliant.
I predict this will spread slowly at first and when the monetary system comes crashing down next year, it will spread really fast and become one of the new paradigms of food production.
Hat's off to granny.
In fact, my folks live in the neighbourhood, I think I'll suggest they start their own local chapter.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

You get the point though. There are plenty of places this scheme should be adopted because it will be a success.

Unfortunately though, there are also plenty of places that if this was adopted, it would be ruined by the stupid, narrow minded (and yes i will say it) THICK individuals that seem to enjoy making a misery of the lives of others.

On the other hand, we could try this everywhere and anyone caught ruining it could be put in stocks in the local town centre! The more i think of this, the more i like it! It may finally cut down on the number of scumbags walking around........

Now you're getting the idea.
Local community action will result in local community policing.
Yes, some people will be arseaholically inclined, but eventually, they will come around if the community finds a way to include them (maybe need a bit of community shunning or community justice at first)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
PS. Are there any local media articles about this, I'd like a copy for the archives?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
I think some of you are missing the points here.
1. There are more of us than 'them'...they need to eat too.
2. Supermarkets....who supplies them? We could change that!
3. Read the article again...crime rates gone down.

From small acorns mighty oaks do grow!

Rainbows
Jane

You're right, positive thinking really is the way forward, especially in the sense of there is more "us" than "them."

A drop in crime rates, I somehow missed that point in the OP
Well if it is showing promise of dropping crime rates, then I say we get out sandwich-boards out and start a march

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Cool

It would be good if we could grow our own veggies in our communal garden. But sadly half of the people living round here would just let their dogs pee and crap all over it, or some of the teenagers would destroy it for the Lulz.

edit on 15-12-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT
PS. Are there any local media articles about this, I'd like a copy for the archives?

There will be loads if you search hard enough. I first heard of this around a year ago, so try the Telegraph and Argus or similar from around then. It was also on morning TV (Daybreak or BBC one) at the same sort of time.

I genuinely think it is a brilliant thing but i also genuinely believe there are a lot of idiots who would trash things for the sake of it.

Anyone from nearby knows Todmorden is not like most places - it attracts a certain sort of person. I can imagine the outcome if that was tried in Keighley!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by domasio

The crime rate part is in the link in OP to the Daily Fail (Mail as you are a 'newbie!
)

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Now you're getting the idea.
Local community action will result in local community policing.
Yes, some people will be arseaholically inclined, but eventually, they will come around if the community finds a way to include them (maybe need a bit of community shunning or community justice at first)

I remind everyone again....the STOKS for community policing!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Needs must.
When people can no longer afford to eat and pay their energy bills and tax, they will be forced to make some decisions like this.
This is what people should be doing all over the world, self-sufficiency with your neighbors and friends, locally grown produce for the people of the area, grown by those people, without corporate involvement and government control.

It might not be feasible in many areas of the UK right now, but as local communities are increasingly hit by the higher costs of living they'll have no other option but to implement these kinds of programs.

Well done to them, they're leaders and we should all be copying their example.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

There will be loads if you search hard enough. I first heard of this around a year ago, so try the Telegraph and Argus or similar from around then. It was also on morning TV (Daybreak or BBC one) at the same sort of time.

I genuinely think it is a brilliant thing but i also genuinely believe there are a lot of idiots who would trash things for the sake of it.

Anyone from nearby knows Todmorden is not like most places - it attracts a certain sort of person. I can imagine the outcome if that was tried in Keighley!

It's only because it's different.
Look at any town or city and you have plenty of hedges and greenery, I don't see kids tearing that up for a giggle. Once it becomes commonplace attention dwindles and those who would feel inclined to be tw@s don't even see it.

We have a hell of a lot of green space where I am, and I would love to see it actually being used by the community for something other than walking their dogs.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

This is brilliant.
I predict this will spread slowly at first and when the monetary system comes crashing down next year, it will spread really fast and become one of the new paradigms of food production.
Hat's off to granny.
In fact, my folks live in the neighbourhood, I think I'll suggest they start their own local chapter.

That's why we need to be ahead of the game chaps! Get your seeds in now! Before TPTB spot this thread and ban their sale!
I am looking into heirloom seeds as they grow plants etc that you can harvest your own seeds from apparently. Still learning myself.

Oooh I love the idea of a local 'chapter'!
Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join