It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamers, Whos going to be playing SWTOR??(Star Wars: The Old Republic)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Apparently, the first day of Early Access, they've already hit average MMO's launch numbers. Still 6 days of Early Access 'til the game goes officially live. Going to say, there's going to be alot of people playing this game due to their previous successful games like Kotor, Mass Effect, Dragon Age.

I wasn't completely sold after a couple months of beta testing, but the amount of people that have come back into our guild chat server is simply astonishing. Looking forward to that email that says I can finally play.

Oh in case you want to preview what's going on in game
linky
edit on 12/14/2011 by saabster5 because: been up since forever waiting for my invite email...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'll be playing, eventually. I need to build a new desktop, first, though. My laptop just won't cut it and my current desktop is in its last days.

I think I am going to play on Daragon Trail. I like the sound of that.

I'm sure I will have characters on many servers.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Pick this up the other day,
been busy and have not installed it yet.

looks good from the reviews i have seen and a friend was raving about it.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Here's a little review of my 2 and a half days /played with this game so far.

I had played WoW since August 2005 to around February this year. It was an on and off experience, but now SWTOR is my new online home. I even gave up BF3 and MW3. I only have time to play one online game if any, and I really had no intentions to play this game but my best friend and cousin picked me up the game for Xmas with 60 days of game time.

I'm running an older E8400 Core 2 Duo, 4GB of ram, W7 64-bit and a GTX 460 and I'm getting 60 fps with shadows on low. The game looks and runs great.

Most people want to hear the prominent difference between WoW and TOR. I'm in a mood to type so I'll split this into a few sections. I'm currently a level 27 Jedi Guardian on server Gardens of Talla. We have a guild with Teamspeak 3 called Void, if anyone is interested in that just message Abydos or Cezton. We just started and already there's little trolling and a lot of interest in working together, in guild and in questing mode. The way they have the system causes the player to take hold of a single player approach that's best described as being close to Mass Effect. You can make your SP quests MP if people wish to join, and it will branch off from single-player based voice overs to multi-player based for the ability to get social points.

The in-game UI is just like WoW. It looks of a similar template as StarCraft II uses but aside from a few optimistic differences like the mini-map being on the bottom, and the chat being on the top, you'll get it quickly.

Races and Classes

Available races are Chiss, Cyborg, Human, Miraluka, Mirialan, Rattataki, Sith, Twi'lek and Zabrak.

At first, obvious enough, the plot takes place before the movies, about 3000 years into the past during a constant invasion and cold war with the Sith. You choose the Light or Dark side and are greeted with a cinematic.

Light side: Trooper, Smuggler, Jedi Consular, Jedi Knight
Dark side: Imperial Agent, Bounty Hunter, Sith Inquisitor, Sith Warrior

Each class gets broken into 2 choices. Ex. Jedi Knight gets either (Jedi) Guardian or Sentinel. For example, the Guardian is a tank/dps peacekeeper with one light saber. Sentinel is sheer dps with dual wielding light sabers. Once your defining role is chosen you are greeted with 3 talent trees. This offers a large system of diversity between gameplay. As a Jedi I've been following good decision making, for the good, never against the senate or other Jedi, and from this I've become Light Level 2. Reversed, I could be a Jedi with Dark Level 2, which would allow me to wield an orange or red light saber. I can only assume it works in the opposite way.

Even if you made another Light character, the Commando or Consular would differ from the Jedi Knight in many ways. Having created a Bounty Hunter, it is obvious the major difference between factions... between motives, environment, location, decision options and a different visual experience.

Combat

Combat is standard WSAD to walk, 1-9 and keybindings but the game is compatible with many new mouse and keyboard choices that allow much easier key binding for the game.

You get at least half of your skills early on, and then it slows down a fair bit. Combat is immersive and there's a lot of visual "finesse" when swinging light sabers and taking down others, no matter your class. It's much friendlier and more fun in the combat department, more than what WoW offers, in my opinion. Your companion, droid, human, whatever, can also be a combat partner, to which you can accept them as your padawan.

There's also space combat which is a bit disappointing at present. It's more of a railgun shooter but isn't bad on the eyes and is good for a mini/bit of daily XP.

Professions

Also called "Crew Skills", they range from Crafting skills like Armortech, Synthweaving, Artifice. From armor to crystals, to mods. There's also gathering skills, treasure hunting, archaeology, scavenging, bioanalysis, etc. Of the same skills are missions, diplomatic or combat based. You can have up to 3-4 of your companions gathering or assembling things for you so as it's a large system that makes your character feels more important.

For example, all at once, my companions are on my ship or with me questing... my smaller droid is out doing archaeology, these missions all cost a few hundred each, he brings back different gems and stones. My other droid is out treasure hunting, while my Padawan is using gems to create new light saber crystals.

Movement

The world is huge. Places to visit beside the Republic Fleet are any of the 17 planets. These are Tython, Korriban, Hutta, Ord Mantell, Coruscant, Balmorra, Alderaan, Tatooine, Dromund Kaas, Taris, Belsavis, Voss, Hoth, Nar Shaddaa, Corellia, Ilum and Quesh.

System

PvP is a loose end at present. They've stated that they are working on a matchmaking system of a brand new nature. Presently there are BG- like "War Zones".

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I've been in two war zones and they felt very much like a standard battleground. It's all instanced, but you can expect some action on a populated PvP server while questing in the afternoon and evening.

Other systems in the game are heroics. While out questing this is how it will go most of the time.

You'll either be following a class quest or doing quests in a general area (to which your class quest brings you) and that's how you know where to keep going (but you do have a choice) and things are labelled by level range quite a bit throughout the game so you will know.

In this general quest area often you'll end up with a bunch of quests in the same general area. The game is very detailed and they've got each quest voiced acted with new textures and new environments. It's not the same repetitive use of texturing and models which is what I like. Instancing is limited to a planet, a large ship, a single-player cutscene and things of this nature. It is not heavily instanced when you look at the scope of the universe and the planets, though I do wish there were less elevators.

Of the extra quests you pick up and your existing class quests, you get bonus objectives, which involve killing extra enemies, taking down leaders, bosses, gold "icon" enemies. Silver and Gold are the hardest types. Gold lettered are often elite. While out questing, in each general area of a planet or ship, you will have quests titled Heroic with either 2-4 next to it. 2 can be 2 manned, sometimes solo'd with a companion. 4 usually often require the whole group set up to which things are very much like a standard instance, tank and spank.

There are also Flashpoint instances. On the Republic Fleet, to which you can go at level 15, you can do these instances which are just like the standard instance/heroic, but in my opinion feel more epic and the voice acting and difficulty ranges makes it a good revision of an already used system.

Of Hellgate, AoC, Warhammer and Rift, this is the best competitor to WoW and as of pre-launch had 1.5 million players and is suspecting up to "tens of millions", which in my mind (given the console - pc squabble) I would say that the population will be a healthy 2 million at the least with growth that could exceed 10 million if released to Asia and all over, I predict it'll be neck to neck with WoW in time with around 4-8 million players. I don't see the progression ending, things seem very much polished and well presented and you can tell that an absolutely enormous budget went into the game.

Other highlights that I forgot to mention are crafting your light saber at level 10, getting your sprint at level 14 and your ship at level 15, and your ground based speeder mounts at level 25 and 40.

Max level is 50.

That's all that I have to say about SWTOR for now. I hope the review helped someone.
edit on 1/1/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
i wish i could play this game im just going to have to wait until i can afford a better pc

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Forgot about this thread

Currently i have a lvl 39 shadow, and 23 vanguard, both on the republic side

This game rocks!! Alot of fun, and the crafting system is pretty easy to use, and wont take up alot of your "killing time" or questing

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join