It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rupert Murdoch Lobbies Congress To Restrict Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

WASHINGTON -- News Corp. honcho Rupert Murdoch threw his weight behind Congress' attempt to restrict the Internet, personally lobbying leaders on Capitol Hill Wednesday for two measures that purport to combat piracy.

Murdoch's media empire is among some 350 large corporations that have come out in favor of the Stop Online Piracy Act in the House, as well as the Protect IP Act in the Senate.

Protect IP and SOPA are disasters in the making. Even "fair use" from news media will be a thing of the past if these corporate behemoths get their way.

Murdoch has plenty of reasons to want the Protect IP and SOPA bills to pass - to kill youtube and online videos in general, probably due to the fact that everyone time his quasi-News network gets caught in another lie, the proof of it is on the Web in seconds.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It won't make a huge amount of difference, this cranky old bugger is overdue for a fatal heart attack. Thank goodness his fool of a son isn't clever enough to be as evil as his father.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Rupert Murdoch pays the anti-OWS crowd!

I have no proof for that claim but I will claim it anyway!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
It's garbage like this that keeps me sympathetic to Anonymous in so many ways, despite other things they do I really disagree with. We need the highly skilled side of the computer field to be willing to resist and push back if/when things actually go into effect here that restrict us in a serious way. It's happened in other nations...I know it's coming here eventually, if not with these bills. At least it won't be left to stand without some real serious disagreement from segments of the public.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The irony.
He along with his son are culpable for the 'phone hacking' scandle here in the UK by one of their news outlets, News of the World.

edit on 7-12-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Funny how the crowd that demands a free market and small non-interfering government are pushing two draconian pieces of legislation that will expand the government and cripple the Internet.

This effort first came around with the Communications Act in 1996 but was struck down by the Supreme Court as un-constitutional, but instead of accepting the will of the people, they just keep coming back trying and trying again. Big money is behind this push, and they will get their way, especially with the 'conservative' corporate lackeys we have on the Supreme Court now.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

WASHINGTON -- News Corp. honcho Rupert Murdoch threw his weight behind Congress' attempt to restrict the Internet, personally lobbying leaders on Capitol Hill Wednesday for two measures that purport to combat piracy.

Murdoch's media empire is among some 350 large corporations that have come out in favor of the Stop Online Piracy Act in the House, as well as the Protect IP Act in the Senate.

Protect IP and SOPA are disasters in the making. Even "fair use" from news media will be a thing of the past if these corporate behemoths get their way.

Murdoch has plenty of reasons to want the Protect IP and SOPA bills to pass - to kill youtube and online videos in general, probably due to the fact that everyone time his quasi-News network gets caught in another lie, the proof of it is on the Web in seconds.
Please take that old fool Murdoch to the vet. Maybe there is some new drugs they can test to put the olg dog down?!?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
The irony.
He along with his son are culpable for the 'phone hacking' scandle here in the UK by one of their news outlets, News of the World.

edit on 7-12-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

Interesting how that phone hacking scandal and Mr. Murdochs alleged involvement just dropped off the radar screen (in the U.S.) We hear very little of the phone hacking scandal and since the attempted "pie in the face" incident, nothing of Murdoch's alleged involvement.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Obama said NO MORE lobbyist in Washington......

What gives?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Doesn't matter what Obama says. Do you really think the president actually has the most power in our government? Our government is flawed, like everything. Unfortunately I don't think there's anything that can be done about that. How can you NOT expect unconstitutional bills like this to arise? I mean, corporate board members and former CEO's have invaded our government, taking up positions that let them control everything from what bills pass to the very printing of our money? For crying out loud, they waste money anyways (e.g Goldman Sachs spending their bailout money on a private jet.)

This bill is just another attempt by corporate bigwigs to remove our rights once again, in order to feed their insatiable greed.
edit on 12/11/2011 by ZodRhombus because: (no reason given)

top topics

join