It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one who refuses to watch any modern movies?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I cannot watch any movies made in.. the past 10 years? The last few movies I seen were horrible. Beowulf 3d sucked, Zombieland sucked, The Crazies sucked.

Adam Sandler movies and all his friends movies are so predictable: Adam plays a happy go lucky nice guy, he meets a pretty girl, they fall in love... he does something stupid, or something bad happens, and he is sad... then he wins her heart back at the end, they live happily ever after.

Too much cgi... cgi is weird, because no matter how good it is, you still think "this is so fake..." I miss the 80s when they used real blood, and props in horror movies.. good makeup is way better than cgi.

Every damn movie has to have a side love story. Too many remakes, and sequels. Transformers 4? Harry Potter has like 90 movies. Twilight the same.

Oh well.. if you are like me and hate movies, please tell me why.. peace.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
i cut off my cable and got rid of my tv's a couple of years ago. I agree with you on the movies as well. I think all hollywood production entertainment should be put on "lockout" until the economy is fixed.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Textreply to post by ReadyPower

Text Maroon
I too watch old movies, even older than ten years. The quality of movies today falls short in the story lines and creativity. This pertains to T.V. too. I do like a few newer movies like, Devils Rejects and a few others. But some good old movies like " Don't look in the basement", "Audrey Rose" and the always infamous "The Exorcist" are amazing. Those are of the same genre, but there are too many good old movies for me to mention. Where I live, in the summer they play Charlie Chaplin and other silent movies in the park, which allow the viewer to use they're imagination and interactive communication with other viewers more. I'd like to know some of the movies you enjoy... S&F to you.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

I just hate Will Ferrell...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I go to see art house films and indy films.
Yeah most of the mainstream films are laughingly formulaic as if most of the american audience are morons with the attention span of gnats and no ability to follow a sophisticated plot.
Special effects can not substitute for good plot and dialog but it seems so many films are trying to ride on special effects.

Hollywood still has not mined all the TV shows yet that It can turn into movies.
Just You wait I predict the following movies Gilligan's Island, Magnum PI, ALF, SIlver Hawks, at least the scripts for these are being passed around by coke head producers.
edit on 7-12-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
you're picking all the wrong movies, but yea a lot of movies are bad as they always have been. i think comedy is at its best nowadays.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

edit on 7-12-2011 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
There are a few newer movies i'll watch, if it's from a book I liked or really catches my inters (I.E. Melencholia, The Rum Diaries) but for the most part I normally take my films from the 90's below all the way to the beginning before watching any of the trash normally put out anymore.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Yeah modern films are cack,just overblown cgi-fests with a paper thin cliche'd to death plot

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Yeah modern films are cack,just overblown cgi-fests with a paper thin cliche'd to death plot

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I believe this was made within the last 10 years... (close!)

Couldn't have been made without said CGI...

And this...

Though it just missed the 10 year cut...

theres been some pretty damn good movies made in the last 10 years man...

edit on 7-12-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by StormMysticD
Textreply to post by ReadyPower

Text Maroon
I too watch old movies, even older than ten years. The quality of movies today falls short in the story lines and creativity. This pertains to T.V. too. I do like a few newer movies like, Devils Rejects and a few others. But some good old movies like " Don't look in the basement", "Audrey Rose" and the always infamous "The Exorcist" are amazing. Those are of the same genre, but there are too many good old movies for me to mention. Where I live, in the summer they play Charlie Chaplin and other silent movies in the park, which allow the viewer to use they're imagination and interactive communication with other viewers more. I'd like to know some of the movies you enjoy... S&F to you.

Big horror movie fan... the Romero zombie films, Evil Dead series, and a few less known movies: Night of the Demons was pretty cool, and Demons (an Italian 80s horror movie) scared me so much when I was younger I had to turn it off... (only movie that happened to me) Exorcist of course.

Also some comedys.. original Willy Wonka, Wizard of Oz, Home Alone 1+2.. Return to Oz (Wizard of Oz dark sequel) Airplane.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I agree with you, OP. I haven't seen too many movies made in the past 10 years that are worth much. Maybe I am a bit prejudiced, but the writing these days is watered down so as not to offend and not to tax anybody's brain too much. If I find too many plot holes, the enjoyment is over for me.

When I look at movies today, I guess I expect better from them, because they stood on the shoulders of giants. Yet, these movies are small in scope. There are a few I enjoyed (such as "Knowing"), but they just can't compete with movies like Close Encounters of The Third Kind, or even the original The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951).

Look at David Lean's movies from the 1960s, like Lawrence of Arabia, The Bridge on The River Kwai, or Doctor Zhivago. Amazing, sweeping, breathtaking in their scope, with impeccable acting, richly filmed, and we can't guess the outcome unless we read the book.

I have a special fondness for silent movies. I have some as old as 1918, and, for the time, are actually more complex than we give them credit for. I have a special fondness for Rudolph Valentino (not only was he a wonderful, subtle actor when given the chance, but he is a gorgeous hunk of man), Gloria Swanson (an extremely accomplished actress, always riveting to watch), and for comedy, I prefer Buster Keaton. The man was a genius, a physical comedian of such skill that he has never been matched. His movies were always ahead of his time (re: The Playhouse, in which there are up to 11 of him on the screen at one time, and Sherlock Jr., where he does some amazing camera effects and great stunts...let us not forget Steamboat Bill Jr., where that heavy wall falls around him and he is stood right where the window opening fell). I enjoy Harold Lloyd and his physical stunts as well. Chaplin is cute, schmaltzy but always watchable.

There are no comedians I like these days. The last one I liked, although he only made one good film, was Chris Farley.

Adam Sandler is wasting his time and talent on his goofy, one-dimensional movies.

Thank God there are so many excellent movies, almost 100 years worth, to choose from.

If I have missed the boat entirely, and there are current movies that are well-made, thought-provoking, intelligent, and not formulaic in their plots, please let me know!

link   
Why don't you stop letting yourself be spoon fed what to watch and go find some good movies then? You know that the movies in the theater aren't the only ones being made right?

I've watched a good fifty movies this year give or take and none of them have appeared in your local multiplex. Enough whining already to quote Freddie "if you don't like what you got why don't you change it?"

link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I believe this was made within the last 10 years... (close!)

Couldn't have been made without said CGI...

And this...

Though it just missed the 10 year cut...

theres been some pretty damn good movies made in the last 10 years man...

edit on 7-12-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

That is true... it kinda sucks, because the crappy/generic movies are the ones most advertised, so (again.. most often but there are exceptions) some of the brilliant movies are less known.

LOTR the first one was amazing, but after that they started to suck, kinda like the Matrix.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

I dont watch ANY movies. (well, rarely) Not even the oldies, I'd rather spend my time reading articles and discussing stuff here. Am I whining? I am giving my opinion.. so if Indy Colt fans say "wow our team sucks" (they have yet to win a game..) is that whining, or just stating a fact that they suck? (my comparison being: that most movies they make today DO suck)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
If you aren't watching good movies you have only yourselves to blame. You all have the internet there are even lists on this very forum which are full of good movies HOW can you possibly miss them?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Thanks for the recommendations.. I will watch them when I can: rent them, or they are on NetFlix..

One reason I don't really listen to people who say a movie is good: (Imo) I heard Zombieland was a GREAT movie.. but it was boring.. and The Crazies was supposed to be good, but it sucked... so just saying, the past few movies I seen that were supposed to be good, they sucked.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I feel the same way. So I got a real kick out of this: www.the-editing-room.com...

Welcome to The Editing Room, home of the original Abridged Script. What's an Abridged Script, you ask? Think of them like Cliff's Notes for popular movies, except that Cliff is an asshole because he thinks your favorite movie sucks.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
reply to post by FEDec

I dont watch ANY movies. (well, rarely) Not even the oldies, I'd rather spend my time reading articles and discussing stuff here. Am I whining? I am giving my opinion.. so if Indy Colt fans say "wow our team sucks" (they have yet to win a game..) is that whining, or just stating a fact that they suck? (my comparison being: that most movies they make today DO suck)

If you don't like movies at all why post on a forum about movies? Since you seem to just hate movies anyway are you sure the problem isn't with you? Maybe you just don't like being entertained.

Your comparison doesn't work because Colts fans know all there is to know but you haven't even watched half of the movies made in the world this year. most movies do not suck just the ones that make it to your local theater suck. that is not even a fraction of the movies made in the world this year so no most movies do not suck. So you are just being lazy and yes whining. get off your butt and do some research or be quiet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join