It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fungal Apocalypse?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Just curious on what the thoughts of some fellow ATSers might be on this. Could we be looking at a potential apocalypse brought on by fungi?

The largest extinction event in Earth's history is known as the Permo-Triassic Extinction. There are a variety of theories on how this extinction came about, and no one can really be sure, but there is one interesting thing about this event - it is marked by an explosion of fungi.

These fungi are known as Reduviasporonites, which mysteriously went by the wayside, or so we think.

news.sciencemag.org...

There was also a huge fungal spike which marks the Cretaceous-Tertiary Extinction.

www.geol.lu.se...&McLoughlin%202004.pdf

Officially, these fungal spikes were brought on as a result of the mass extinctions rather than being considered as a causal factor.

Supposing that fungi had something to do with these mass extinction events, if indeed that is possible, then what should one think of:

Morgellons Disease
www.morgellons.org...

White-nose Syndrome
en.wikipedia.org...

The Current Mysterious Rise in Fungi Worldwide
e360.yale.edu...

Colony Collapse Disorder in Honey Bees
news.discovery.com...

Brain-Eating Fungi That Turn Ants into Zombies
www.livescience.com...

The Amphibians Being Wiped Out Worldwide by a Fungus
www.earthtimes.org...

More on the Fungi Epidemic
rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org...

The Fungi Killing Cypress Trees Worldwide
global-map.info...

Could the rise of fungi be a causal factor of major extinction events, or is it just a result? Thoughts, opinions?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Death by Fungi.
honestly, If i had to choose how I would die, that one would be near the top of the list.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Tinea Cruris, one of the most common fungus's aside from shower mold me thinks,
The fungus that causes Athletes foot, Jock Itch, and Ringworm, All the same thing more or less, just on different parts of the body.
It is easily transferable through any place where bare feet come in contact with the surface, and so on..

Not the most deadly fungus, but definatly annoying as all hell.. Speaking of which,
Anyone know how to get rid of it quickly without using that crap at the pharmacy that takes two months?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

This is a naturalistic technique I have discovered to cure tinea in my own backyard with something I would have otherwise thought of as a weed. The technique I used was observing how the plant itself effected its environment. I then took a guess that it could do similar if applied topically. I tested my guess it worked. (I will continue tests on molds any assistance identifying this plant is greatly appreciated.)

This is some of the research I have been doing recently It seems should the fungal apocalypse ever come we could turn to our natural environment.... If there's any left to learn from.

There are some good refs here by the op. Lets not forget fungus has prevented millions of deaths Penicillin.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Shirak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Tinea Cruris, one of the most common fungus's aside from shower mold me thinks,
The fungus that causes Athletes foot, Jock Itch, and Ringworm, All the same thing more or less, just on different parts of the body.
It is easily transferable through any place where bare feet come in contact with the surface, and so on..

Not the most deadly fungus, but definatly annoying as all hell.. Speaking of which,
Anyone know how to get rid of it quickly without using that crap at the pharmacy that takes two months?

Vinegar works, but I wouldn't recommend putting it on your "sensitive parts," only use that for your feet. They say to dilute the vinegar in water, but I just soaked a paper towel in some vinegar and rubbed it all over my foot. In about two days the evil fungus was gone, and I never broke out or nothing from the vinegar, but I never had a sensitive skin issue either. Of course, I also spent that entire weekend walking around barefoot on top of things, so I don't know if it would still work if you have to wear shoes when doing it, in fact, I would think sweaty vinegar feet would be kind of awful smelling.

Disclaimer: You are receiving this advice from a guy who at age 18 cured his poison ivy with a brillo pad and pure undiluted bleach, subsequently causing severe chemical burns which were much worse than the poison ivy, however it did rid me of the poison ivy (which was really bad and probably what drove me to such a fit of insanity), and it also felt pretty darn good for about a half hour! Take my advice with caution. But with that said, the vinegar did work and the result was much much better than the infamous bleach incident.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I had a fungus problem that cleared up by putting garlic juice on it. I couldn't believe how quickly it went away.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hardamber
I had a fungus problem that cleared up by putting garlic juice on it. I couldn't believe how quickly it went away.

Can't blame your fungus, who likes garlic juice?

Poor little guys felt like "Occupy your feet" was over as soon they got sprayed.

edit on 6-12-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I read an article about a type of fungus that is the worlds largest organism ever discovered.

Strange but True: The Largest Organism on Earth Is a Fungus

Next time you purchase white button mushrooms at the grocery store, just remember, they may be cute and bite-size but they have a relative out west that occupies some 2,384 acres (965 hectares) of soil in Oregon's Blue Mountains. Put another way, this humongous fungus would encompass 1,665 football fields, or nearly four square miles (10 square kilometers) of turf.

The discovery of this giant Armillaria ostoyae in 1998 heralded a new record holder for the title of the world's largest known organism, believed by most to be the 110-foot- (33.5-meter-) long, 200-ton blue whale. Based on its current growth rate, the fungus is estimated to be 2,400 years old but could be as ancient as 8,650 years, which would earn it a place among the oldest living organisms as well.

Read full article

Quite an amazing organism, but i doubt it would have a worldwide effect. But then again, maybe it was once of the very first organisms on land.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by HillbillyHippie1
Just curious on what the thoughts of some fellow ATSers might be on this. Could we be looking at a potential apocalypse brought on by fungi?

j00 forgotst this won....

Five deaths from Joplin tornado linked to fungal infection

also.. largest organism in the world is a fungi... Strange but True: The Largest Organism on Earth Is a Fungus

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
apple cider vinegar gets rid of most, if not all, fungi

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Organic acids, Sulfur powder, garlic juice, and silver. All cheap and effective anti fungals. White Nose fungus looks like it could be easily weaponized. Who knows maybe thy will cross it with the ant brain eating fungus, and we'll have flesh eating zombies growing mushrooms out of their skulls?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Interesting thread OP cheers for posting.

reply to post by prevenge

Thanks for the second link.

A TED talk on fungi which is fairly interesting:

www.ted.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Funnily enough there's a game being developed with a fungus infecting humans and basically zombifying everyone.

It's called The Last of Us, looks interesting.

top topics

join