It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video:NYPD Arrests OccupyBronx Members For Standing On A Sidewalk, Harrass A Local TV Reporter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This a long video but a really good example of how far over the line our Law Enforcement is being told to step. The video begins with the news report and then goes to the video phone footage that was recording up until the camerman was arrested because he stopped walking.

The charges against those arrested were blocking pedestrian traffic. On December 3, 2011 there were about fifteen people holding a General Assemby in solidarity with Morning Glory Garden gardeners to discuss plans on how to proceed reclaiming an empty lot the community had cleaned up two years prior and turned into a community garden which recently had been bulldozed by the city. The people were pretty much holding the meeting up against a fence on what looks to be a twelve foot wide sidewalk. The police blocked more of the sidewalk than those holding the GA.

Police instructed the participants to move along and so they did, anytime one stopped they were arrested. I hope that last sentence sinks in. I hope that this video goes to show that We The People are being forced to back up off a cliff. Don't make it easy for them to continue pushing.

At the Bronx general assembly, there are numerous causes being fought for, all spearheaded by a single principle of community control and self-governance. The people in the Bronx should decide how things are run in the Bronx–in our schools, hospitals, streets and neighborhoods.

THIS WEDNESDAY at 6PM at Lincoln Hospital, we invite you to confront the 40th Precinct at the precinct council’s monthly meeting to expose the inconsistency of this precinct’s policing practices within the Mott Haven, Melrose, Port Morris sections of the Bronx; to stand up for Shaun’s, Carlos’, David’s, Alex’s, and the sister’s, and the Bronx’ collective dignity; and to demand Deputy Inspector Christopher J. McCormack reign in his crew in all shades of blue!

occupythebronx.org

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Wow, it's just some cops that think, "Oh, I'm such a badass, I work hard and my life is soo tough. These protesters have no idea. Lets arrest those damn hippies cause we don't take kindly to natural foods in America. Why don't you hippies just work and eat at McDonalds?" What an asswipe...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
At the end it said they would be arrested if they joined the protest across the street. I would have joined its my right.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegasAlexandros
Wow, it's just some cops that think, "Oh, I'm such a badass, I work hard and my life is soo tough. These protesters have no idea. Lets arrest those damn hippies cause we don't take kindly to natural foods in America. Why don't you hippies just work and eat at McDonalds?" What an asswipe...

I think its a little more then that, they kinda of seemed like they did not want to be there. Maybe some one higher up told them that they have to brake it up.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

I know, it's just a generalization.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8

Originally posted by MegasAlexandros

I think its a little more then that, they kinda of seemed like they did not want to be there. Maybe some one higher up told them that they have to brake it up.

If they don't want to be there and know it's wrong, the real question is when will they start thinking for themselves?

We all have free choice. If I am told to do something by my boss and I know it's wrong in that it will hurt others, will I do it? No.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I wonder how much kore videos we have to see, til people wake up?

This is total police state. First closing down a community garden, then arresting people for standing and discussing on the sidewalk (it wasnt even protesting).

Seriously this is the definition of a police state. And if it does not change qucikly and drastically it will turn even uglier.

1984 would be 'good ole times'

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I agree with what you're saying but I can't be without empathy toward someone trying to protect a decent job in today's economy. I think it would be more productive to focus on the actual orders being given and by whom than the officers ordered to follow them. But of course keep an eye out for those officers that derive enjoyment from use of excessive force.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by jude11

I agree with what you're saying but I can't be without empathy toward someone trying to protect a decent job in today's economy. I think it would be more productive to focus on the actual orders being given and by whom than the officers ordered to follow them. But of course keep an eye out for those officers that derive enjoyment from use of excessive force.

I agree with the job thing but personally, if I was told to go out and harass innocent people, infringe on their rights and assault them, I couldn't do it. I would find another way to pay the bills because I couldn't look at another human being on the end of a baton when I knew it was wrong.

Peace

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I couldn't do it either, I just would rather target the officials and the policies. I completely agree with you though.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Someone should release the names and addresses of every single Officer involved.

It is only when the public holds them account able that they will stop violating our rights. You can take every single Police Officer in the world, and they will still be outnumbered by "We the People". They can not shoot us all, they can not arrest us all. It is time to take a stand and DEFEND our rights.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
When they say you can't stand on the sidewalk because you are blocking pedestrian traffic, then why not become the pedestrian traffic in the form of a walking assembly and walk circles around the block.

This is just absolutely crazy that citizens concerned about a community garden are turned into criminals for showing they care about how a piece of land is treated. And those cops didn't show up just to disperse some by-standers, they came ready with the vans to haul away their catch. Just think how much more of a disturbance the police were by double parking the police cars and vans as well as blocking a majority of the sidewalk which they claim to be clearing so the droves of people that were trying to squeeze past those unruly obstructive gardners could walk freely.......if you need it spelled out for you, the last bit was sarcasm.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
This a long video but a really good example of how far over the line our Law Enforcement is being told to step. The video begins with the news report and then goes to the video phone footage that was recording up until the camerman was arrested because he stopped walking.

The charges against those arrested were blocking pedestrian traffic. On December 3, 2011 there were about fifteen people holding a General Assemby in solidarity with Morning Glory Garden gardeners to discuss plans on how to proceed reclaiming an empty lot the community had cleaned up two years prior and turned into a community garden which recently had been bulldozed by the city. The people were pretty much holding the meeting up against a fence on what looks to be a twelve foot wide sidewalk. The police blocked more of the sidewalk than those holding the GA.

Police instructed the participants to move along and so they did, anytime one stopped they were arrested. I hope that last sentence sinks in. I hope that this video goes to show that We The People are being forced to back up off a cliff. Don't make it easy for them to continue pushing.

You know, i have been thinking about this for a while and thought posting the same thought in various other comments: people being arrested for stopping walking. THAT is a freakin' police state. People have the right to move, but simply STOPPING is cause for arrest under the guise of "blocking pedestrian traffic," and a very slippery slope. What is next, walking too slowly??? What if someone (tourist? or even not) stops to take a picture, wants to sit on a bench, has to tie his or her shoe, needs to get something out of a pack, any number of things. What if an elderly or asthmatic person needs to stop to catch his or her breath? I have the RIGHT to stop. I have the RIGHT to stop and look at my city, my neighborhood, my shops. I have the RIGHT to stop on a sidewalk.

This is ridiculous and has gone TOO far.

It seems likely in the ear future that there will be police every half block making sure people keep moving and do not stop under the treat of arrest. This is INSANE. This is NOT America.

One could be arrested not only for failure to "move along," but failure to OBEY a *lawful order.*

It makes me sick, reading that what i was thinking was a possibility is now a nightmarish REALITY. These people should stop and hug the wall, or something. I guess it could be wildly construed and interpreted as loitering, but Jesus.

I have the RIGHT to stop and chill for a minute on a sidewalk WITHOUT threat of--or--arrest.

This is insane, ridiculous, and THIS IS NOT AMERICA.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
i do not even see what was achieved by this. they did'nt want people to gather on the sidewalk? or stop walking? i reckon it was because they were occupy, so they targetted them. all it achieved was a proper protest outside the policestation which did more blocking of the sidewalk than the first little gathering and pissed off more people in the process and gave others material to show how stupid things are becoming.

really what was the point in this? i just do not get it.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

As long there are people who are outraged, we haven't lost.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I think you make an important point. Baying for the blood of a single LEO after an incident is imho not the way to go. Police follow orders like most employees. Even if the Officer commits an illegal act, I would not think he thought to do that himself but based his actions on the orders coming down from on high. Of course he should be punished but it changes nothing in the overall game if we don't get the orders changed. From what little I understand of how things work over there, from watching movies and cop shows I guess it would be either the Police Chief or the Mayor of the city in question.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

...about fifteen people holding a General Assemby in solidarity with Morning Glory Garden gardeners to discuss plans on how to proceed reclaiming an empty lot the community had cleaned up two years prior and turned into a community garden which recently had been bulldozed by the city. The people were pretty much holding the meeting up against a fence on what looks to be a twelve foot wide sidewalk. The police blocked more of the sidewalk than those holding the GA.

Great image. Great points. Great advice.

S&F&

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Question is what are we going to do about it?

Explanation behind these hired goons

Bloomberg calls the NYPD ‘my own army’

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is what the new NYPD Uniforms Will Look Like

Looks like the Fascist Zionist incorporated Hitlers methods after all.. you would think the Fascist Zionists would have been turned off by these kind of methods after the Holocaust, well it's quite the opposite actually. They adopted it to use against the rest of us.

Death camps, Rubber Coffins manufactured before hand for the undesirables, is it not clear by now? Bloomberg = Wall Street

btw pull it! ching ching $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ blood money

Seen this before somewhere

Call me a anti semite now

edit on 5-12-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Protesting in the streets has never worked and will never work. You want to protest...and make some noise...do it via the bills you pay. What you people need to wake up to, is the fact that YOUR MONEY provides for their arrogant, prideful ways. You FUND the "elite"....don't you GET IT, YET??? Ah, he-lloooooooo out in la-la land?

And in case you're wondering, how you're contributing...i'll make a short list:

Verizon - $50+/month
DishTV - $50+/month
Mickey D's - $20+/week
Walmart - $20+/week
Entertainment - $20+/week
Exxon - $20+/week
Bank of America - $5+/week
Income Taxes - $100+/2weeks
Do i REALY need to continue?

Now, take those services, that EVERYONE is using....and multiply that by the millions...then multiply that by the hundreds, and you have a pretty wealthy empire. Instead of 'reading and writing', you should spend more time on your 'rithmetic'.

Everything "they" are doing...is coming from YOUR POCKETS. Wake up already....YOU'RE GETTING ANNOYING now!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
somewhere there is case law about blocking sidewalks and the amount of time you can stop on the sidewalk for any reason .... This is just selective enforcement and the protesters ahould just sue the crap out of the citiy and the officers involved. And to be charged with"failure to obey a lawful order ... the order has to lawful!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join