It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No, America's unemployment rate is not 8.6 percent

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

No, America's unemployment rate is not 8.6 percent

rt.com

November’s figure, 8.6 percent, is actually the proportion of Americans unemployed, “as a percent of the civilian labor force,” as per the official definition from the Labor Department (a figure it refers to as “U-3,” the official unemployment rate). When considering those that fit that definition as well as discouraged workers (U-4), those marginally attached to the work labor force (U-5) and those that are employed part-time and seeking full-time employment but can’t find it, the Labor Department has another statistic, which it refers to as U-6; for the month of November, that fi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
the story explains we gained 120K jobs last month. this would be good news if we didn't happen to loose 315K Americans who have given up looking for work all together.

“You’d like to see the unemployment rate coming down when people are coming into the job market, not disappearing,” James Glassman of New York City’s JP Morgan Chase & Co. tells Bloomberg News. “That’s probably exaggerating the trend in unemployment.”

the blatant manipulation of statistics, the passing of laws reminiscent of Hitlers glory years of change.

these are all happening rapidly and leading up to elections something rare in politics where popular public opinion is usually considered, what is happening lately is exactly the opposite the Gov. and those nameless faceless businesses that fund our law makers seem to not care what the public thinks...

the people in the US are being corralled into a free country with a price tag. our freedoms are being neglected and ignored on the basis of security and the blind threat of home grown terrorist...

are we a country that has become so weak and apathetic to our surroundings that we honestly believe we need the Gov. to take care of us?

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
8.6 is only the percentage of people actively looking for work..

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

8.6 might also be the average days per month Obama takes off for vacation.

Seriously, its probably getting near Depression levels........

Current levels of unemployment are Depression-level numbers, especially when compared to Darby’s figures. For example, economist John Williams puts current U-6 unemployment at 15.9%. That’s higher than 9 out of 12 years charted by Darby. And there are certainly Depression-level statistics in some states. For example, official Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers put U-6 above 20% in several states: California: 22.0 Nevada: 23.7 Michigan 20.3 (and Los Angeles County has 24.1% unemployment, higher than any of the Depression years as reported by Darby)

We’ve Now Got Depression-Level Unemployment

The math looks right,unfortunately...............

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
it's funny how the msm and the government thinks we're all a bunch of mushrooms.....they constantly keep us in the dark, and feed us a lot of bull#

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

8.6 might also be the average days per month Obama takes off for vacation.

Uhh, no. The President doesn't get weekend off like most do. These "Vacations" are usually full of work as well. He is still president, just in a different location.

Seriously, its probably getting near Depression levels........

Current levels of unemployment are Depression-level numbers, especially when compared to Darby’s figures. For example, economist John Williams puts current U-6 unemployment at 15.9%. That’s higher than 9 out of 12 years charted by Darby. And there are certainly Depression-level statistics in some states. For example, official Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers put U-6 above 20% in several states: California: 22.0 Nevada: 23.7 Michigan 20.3 (and Los Angeles County has 24.1% unemployment, higher than any of the Depression years as reported by Darby)

Is Infowars a valid source?

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I'm employed. Still, feels like I'm unemployed though.

Wow, 2 days a week with 3 hours almost, yeah, that can't make an electric payment.

Really??

Didn't think, I was that much of a horrible employee to get those crappy hours a week.

But, whatever, a job is a job. Right?

Take whatever comes right now, it's experience.

Even though, I don't work for the experience.
edit on 3-12-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Oh this is just a numbers game to help the POTUS win reelection. We’ll hear about it dropping until it gets to 7.9 right before the election.

The real unemployment looks a bit different, as you pointed out.

Distorted Statistics

Given the total distortions of reality with respect to not counting people who allegedly dropped out of the work force, it is easy to misrepresent the headline numbers. Digging under the surface, the drop in the unemployment rate is nothing but a statistical mirage.

The official unemployment rate is 8.6%. However, if you start counting all the people that want a job but gave up, all the people with part-time jobs that want a full-time job, all the people who dropped off the unemployment rolls because their unemployment benefits ran out, etc., you get a closer picture of what the unemployment rate is. That number is in the last row labeled U-6.

While the "official" unemployment rate is an unacceptable 8.6%, U-6 is much higher at 15.6%.

Falling unemployment rate would normally be considered a good thing, but not if it is happening because 1,793,000 people stopped looking for work.

Things are much worse than the reported numbers would have you believe. The entire economic picture is on very thin ice given the clear slowdown in the global economy.

link

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I'm employed. Still feels like I'm unemployed though.

Wow, 2 days a week with 3 hours almost, yeah, that can't make an electric payment.

Really??

Didn't think, I was that much of a horrible employee to get those crappy hours a week.

But, whatever, a job is a job. Right?

Take whatever comes right now, it's experience.

Even though, I don't work for the experience.

your situation is the same for most americans and it shows exactly where this country is headed, we need only look at the past and what we learned growing up about our career choice.

I was taught to make a career doing what I love... now you choose a career that chooses you, and not for the love of the job but to get paid, to pay your debts... this past deception and current outcome seems almost planned I only hope we can wake up to it and change the direction our Gov. is taking us.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I was told that the unemployment rate only reflects the amount of people that are currently receiving benefits. It doesn't include anyone that has run out of benefits or those that do not receive, or were denied benefits from the system.

Am I wrong with this information that was provided to me?

A_L

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Sorry if Infowars isn't to your personal liking. Heres some more,dont be to picky.)

Skousen: Actual Unemployment Rate Is at ‘Great Depression Level’

Black Unemployment At Depression Level Highs In Some Cities

‘Depression-level’ unemployment dampens spirits in the Glades

edit on 3-12-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-12-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by another_lurker

I was told that the unemployment rate only reflects the amount of people that are currently receiving benefits. It doesn't include anyone that has run out of benefits or those that do not receive, or were denied benefits from the system.

Am I wrong with this information that was provided to me?

A_L

read my post...

above...

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Sonnny….how dare you use anything associated with AJ. Haven’t we had this battle a time or two??

Pick a source… the truth is everywhere. We’ve been in a depression for 3 years. They are putting icing on a turd and calling it cake.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Cant please them all.

You know where I can find a "shovel ready" Job??????

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

I agree to that statement. I would like to point something rather funny out as well. Have a look at this graph and note the year when unemployment spiked

Unemployment rate chart
[align=center]
[/align]

Say, wasn't 2008 election year

Source

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Wrong. I was hoping to get the job there. And, I did, from persistence. No retarded government or politics involved. But, I'm trying to figure out, why my hours are so low, while everyone else, has at least 4 days. Even the employees who were hired after me. They get more hours. Something is not right. And my school, should not be an excuse.

I should be able to go to school, work, and study.

Like any normal student.

Heck, campus pay's twice the amount for my paycheck.

Should I quit and just get a job with the campus instead?

At the rate it's going, then yes.

So, I'm going to stick it out and keep monitoring it. And, if the hours don't change. I will be suing.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by seabag

Cant please them all.

You know where I can find a "shovel ready" Job??????

After the complete collapse of society, when our ancestors are beginning to rebuild America, you might find a few shovel ready gigs then…

Just sayin’!

Of course there are always Federal jobs available right now. Haven’t you heard? Government is the fastest growing industry in the country.

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Nevermind. People never realize that the bush tax cuts were made almost a decade ago to "create jobs" and unemployment has been in decline since.
edit on 3-12-2011 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Exactly the same in the UK every 4 to 6 months the DWP (department for work and pensions) or as its also known the social (used to be called social security) send you on a scheme of one sort or another to learn how to write a CV or ways to write a cover letter or interveiw techniques and they can make you do 6weeks workplacement.Now however you may feel about the unemployed the point is these people are no longer on the unemployment register.in other words they dont show up on the unemployment numbers.
Its not just your lot that are cooking the books.its been going on forever.

live happy

posted on Dec, 3 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Lots of tax cuts to corporations, so wth are the jobs

Lost of corporate welfare by the FED to save corporations and provide jobs, so wth are the jobs

Here is an idea. They stole the money and invested it in india and china. You PEONS mean nothing to the bankers and big business. So either settle for 5 part time jobs, 10 weekly work hours each, or man up and move to asia and become a millionaire.

All you idiots that have been voting for republicans have no business crying now. Didn't you make millions in the stock market?

Never talk about tariffs. It is a #ing crime with 10 years in the slammer!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join