It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A matter of debate - a question for ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I just posted this on my facebook and thought it would be worth the replies to also post it here

I've been dialoguing with a good-humored atheist (I'm a Christian theist) via email for like 11 months now ... back and forth we go, debating the finer points of our respective world views. Brilliant dude. I've conceded some points, so has he. As it stands however, we're both as convinced as we ever were of our positions. This leads me to wonder: does the merit of debate lie in the exchange of ideas itself, or in the outcome? If at the close our beliefs remain fixed, does this mean the whole interchange was in vain? This can apply to a myriad of discussion points and obviously isn't limited to origins ... just to clarify.

Your thoughts?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Great question FTE.

I'd like to think that the merit of debate lies in both..

However, if the person's (or your) beliefs remain fixed & haven't altered even slightly..then it's gotta be that bit more satisfying when the outcome is in your favour, & you do end up changing an opinion.

So I guess on that basis..It's all about the outcome.

But, people are stubborn & hard-headed..so that's rarely the case..Even when they're just wrong.

S&F
edit on 25-11-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Was the exchange of dialogue an excuse to convince one of you to convert over to the other's view? If so, it was a failure.

If your exchange of ideas with this dude was simply an exchange, and now you both have an understanding of the basis of the other's belief system, then it was a success.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Was the exchange of dialogue an excuse to convince one of you to convert over to the other's view? If so, it was a failure.

If your exchange of ideas with this dude was simply an exchange, and now you both have an understanding of the basis of the other's belief system, then it was a success.

I find discovering new disciplines of thought very, very compelling. For me at least, it's a matter of exploration. I suppose what I'm really driving at is perhaps reassessing the value in debate and emphasizing the importance of the act of shared ideas over the result. That's just me though. I'm wondering what the incentive is for others who participate in any formal or informal style debate and what they consider a success.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

If at the close our beliefs remain fixed, does this mean the whole interchange was in vain?

I am not saying you are right and he is wrong or vise versa..but if I believe something so strongly or adamantly that I am willing to argue or debate an issue then most likely no one can change my mind. So my vote is..it was in vain..but engaging none the less Cheers Coco

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by followtheevidence

I find that if, after debate, my point of view is understood and respected, then I feel it was worth it.

When it comes to religion or the lack of it, people generally don't change their minds unless a life-changing event happens. People are very inflexible when it comes to issues of faith, don't you think?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by followtheevidence

If you have learned something about each other then it is very beneficial. I think the world would be a much happier place if people spent more time talking and less time fighting. You may change my way of thinking with your words, you won't change my way of thinking with your fist.

top topics

join