It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Effects of Food on Dreams.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Last night I went out and ate Italian food with my friends. A large percentage of the time we will eat at the dining facility on campus, but we were in the mood for something different.

Because it was the day before Thanksgiving, I decided to be a little festive and order some wine to go with my chicken alfredo pasta. The food was very delicious, and we had nice conversations etc etc.

We get back to the dorms and I fall asleep. I had extremely vivid and detailed dreams. First thing I thought of when I woke up was how I knew that my dreams were different because of what I ate.

Different types of food have different kinds of nutrients, vitamins, and chemicals in it, so it makes sense that these could have an effect on your dreams.

Today is Thanksgiving as well, and I always sleep and dream well after a nice big Thanksgiving feast. Maybe as an experiment, you could tell me if you have interesting dreams tonight after dinner.

Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
ah i love this! i wish there was more information on this. my mom always believed this. whenever I told her about a weird dream she would say 'what was the last thing you ate?" she also always said eating Pizza Hut for dinner made her have weird dreams. Well I had Thanksgiving last night and I had a great dream! I had a dream that I could fly, but I would have to jump up and swing my arms, I would start moving up straight, and when I got high enough I could fly and spin around. actually, in the dream, I had a dream that I was flying and when I woke up I could fly...hmm maybe I should try to fly right now haha. So I do believe that food effects your dreams...but how exactly? Last night I drank a lot of wine, and ate a lot of good food. I went to sleep full and with a stomach ache, and I guess I could say dreamt of being light or empty...able to fly. Maybe this dream happened after I fully digested all my food? I cant wait to see if this happens to others!

edit on 24-11-2011 by alwaysobserving because: change

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
If you are looking for real psychotic dreams......

Like the full color claymation, and melty ones.....

There are steak and meat rubs called Grill Mates. The poultry one causes odd dreams. The beef one is a little stronger. Each will do the trick.

Sleep sweet......

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I remember one time my friend was telling me a story relating to this.

He went fishing and caught a strange silver fish he had never seen before.

He went home and cooked it and ate it for dinner. He told me that his dreams that night were extremely bizarre, and the silver fish itself was in his dream.

What if eating animals somehow fuses a part of them to yourself? Something to think about.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I find that fasting also brings some more vivid dreams.

great post SolarE

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Different cheese causes different dreams, if you eat Parmesan you'll dream of Italy ,cheddar a nice English dream and Brie/ France ,feta you visit Greece, I've just eaten a Gouda sandwich and heading of to Amsterdam tonight!!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Different food have different amino acids. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that gets broken down in the pineal gland, and produces Serotonin, Melatonin and some argue dimethyltryptamine (a chemical that causes dreams). There could have been a lot of tryptophan in your food you consumed.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jarusica

I did in fact have a lot of parmesan cheese last night. The waiter did the thing where he grates cheese until you say when, and I ended up having a mountain of parmesan cheese on my dish.

Interesting that you say cheese causes differing types of dreams.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

interesting story about the fish.It kinda makes sense.

There are some reports of people who have had transplants,eye transplant,heart transplant,whatever,well they sometimes have memories of the initial owner.

Or even sometimes if the donor was an artist the new person who has recieved the transplant has the urge to paint and finds they actually have a skill they hadnt before,thanks to the memories or knowledge stored in the transplanted organ. So it seems memories are not just stored in the brain.

I do have strange dreams,can astral project if i try,but dont anymore because Its just wierd,and Im not so sure whats actually occuring)) and have lucid dreams all the time. I cant say however that any particular food has caused me to dream a certain way. Its not something I paid much attention too before,but will from now on.

I guess its food for thought...ahem.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
reply to post by jarusica

I did in fact have a lot of parmesan cheese last night. The waiter did the thing where he grates cheese until you say when, and I ended up having a mountain of parmesan cheese on my dish.

Interesting that you say cheese causes differing types of dreams.

Well the cheese reply seemed so far out there to me that I had to do some digging. Here is an interview from NPR with a guy who is the Secretary of the British Cheese Board. (Who would have ever thought, LOL)

www.npr.org...

He goes on to say:

Mr. NIGEL WHITE (Secretary, British Cheese Board): My name is Nigel White. I am secretary of the British Cheese Board. The misperception has been that eating cheese before you go to bed gives you nightmares. We wanted to see whether or not we could prove or disprove this myth.

And:

Mr. WHITE: And they did this for a week, and we found that about three-quarters of everybody said that they slept well every night, and most of those people could remember the dreams that they had. So that was pretty encouraging. And the science of that, we think, is that there is an essential amino acid in milk called tryptophan. Now tryptophan is known to be something which is helpful in normalizing sleep and reducing stress levels. That seemed to make sense to us. What was really wacky was that the type of cheese that people were eating seemed to give them different types of dreams.

This whole thing was pretty interesting to read.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Eat a banana before bedtime and see what happens.

Ribbit

top topics

join