It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Upgrades Syria with advanced S-300 missiles? No Fly Zone Deterrent?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
A report Thursday said that Russia has supplied Syria with advanced S-300 missiles, and has sent advisers to help Syria run the system.

Russian warships that have reached waters off Syria in recent days were carrying, among other things, Russian technical advisors who will help the Syrians set up an array of S-300 missiles Damascus has received in recent weeks, a report in the London-based Arabic language Al Quds-Al Arabi said Thursday. Citing sources in Syria and Russia, the paper said that Moscow sees a Western attack on Syria as a "red line" that it will not tolerate.

www.freerepublic.com...

Original story is here, I know it's Isreali National News, but I am not too savvy with this news outlet

www.israelnationalnews.com...

Russia sets up Syrian air defense for coming war

tomorrowsnews.net...
edit on 24-11-2011 by TheMindWar because: added info source

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

They call this system a "game changer" if I remember correctly. It's only right that Russia protect it's interests in the region regardless of your opinion on Assad and his regime. If this system is as effective as it's claimed to be it could be bad news for any air force that decides to enter Syrian air space. It would make it difficult for NATO to put a no fly zone in place too. The question is will Syria learn how to properly use it before the no fly zone takes place.

And yes, I know this is all speculation and there is no guarantee that there will be a no fly zone or any aerial strikes. I'm just going with common sense according to recent events that have been unfolding.

Does anyone know if Iran ever ended up getting this system?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Yes, Iran has the system I believe (after googling
) and I would assume they have had plenty of time to become accustomed to using it.

As for syria, according to the info source there are russian advisors there, I would assume they would be called back before any outbreak of war or introduction of a "no fly zone". I dont know how complicated the system is to use.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Thanks for letting me know about Iran having the system. I guess I could have googled it

I must have been having a lazy moment.

I wonder how Russia would react if conflict erupted and caused some Russian diplomats to get injured or worse. That would probably not work out to well for diplomacy on the world stage.

Thanks for posting this news by the way.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Personally I think one possibility is that some countries will ne asked to enforce a no fly zone over syria by the US and UK, and when a foriegn plane gets shot down they will shout "it was an act of war" and bomb the hell out of syria. Although this is obviously speculation, its definately a possibility.

We live in scary times.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar

Yes, Iran has the system I believe (after googling
) and I would assume they have had plenty of time to become accustomed to using it.

As for syria, according to the info source there are russian advisors there, I would assume they would be called back before any outbreak of war or introduction of a "no fly zone". I dont know how complicated the system is to use.

According to the INN link you posted, Iran does NOT have the S-300's, at least not officially.

Russia had attempted to sell the system to Iran, but that sale was cancelled due to pressure by the U.S. and Israel, with Russia returning Iran's deposit. According to the report, the Iranians paid for Syria's S-300 missile system. It is not known if some of the missiles have reached Iran as well.

The Center for Strategic and International Studies concurs in this year old article.

After a period of confusion and apparent contradiction over whether the Russian government would continue in its planned sale of S-300 missiles to Iran following the latest round of U.N. Security Council sanctions, the Russian government has confirmed that the sale has indeed been cancelled. The Russian Federal Service on Military-Technical Cooperation released a statement that announced:

An analysis of the provisions of the UN Security Council Resolution 1929 adopted on June 9, 2010, conducted by the FSMTC experts, shows that the restrictive measures contained in the document apply to the delivery of S-300 air defense systems to Iran as well.

While the acquisition of these missiles will make any no-fly zone (in which the Arab League, not NATO, will take the lead) difficult to enforce, even more worrisome to me are the SHIP KILLER missiles Syria the Russians have sold to the Assad regime.

November 22, 2011: Despite the growing civil war in Syria, Russia is honoring an order, earlier this year, for an unspecified number of SSN-26 Yakhont anti-ship missiles. The order was finally confirmed eight months ago, after four years of haggling and efforts by Israel and the United States to block the sale. Apparently the missiles have already been paid for, and Syrian has assured Russia that the missiles can safely be delivered by ship. Russia is happy for any sale, but seems particularly anxious for this missile to get some combat experience. ~ Source

With CVN-77, the nuclear-powered George H.W. Bush aircraft carrier, sitting off the coast of Syria right now, THOSE missiles are a game changer. ~ Source

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So what with S-300 or even a tuturistic S-600 missiles?

That which is man-made, can be man-destroyed.

Nothing in our current world or the next few centuries can ever duplicate even a moron's brain, let alone the average educated man. Obstacles can be overcomed, even natural ones, through human ingenuity, and that's plenty in world of 6 billion.

The only thing which is a true obstacle is fear itself. But fortunately, even that can be overcomed, but only with the courageous and rational thinker hell bent on overcoming challenges intelligently, logically and not foolishly. Not many in this world, but enough to make a difference where and when it mattters critically.

Thus best the Syrian tyrant or russians don't get too complacent, a trait unfortunately only a reality in flawed mortals.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
S-300 is overrated and the Russians know it Case In Point S300 interaction with NATO and Radar floor info especially the export model the russians have the S-400 a model that was developed in 2007 and was designed to foil 5th generation fighters and ballistic cruise missiles The S-300 meanwhile was designed to handle 4th gen fighters still widely used but not much good against a low flying high speed (both weaknesses of the S-300) cruise missile, so enjoy getting your arse handed to you syria those high tech fireworks are going to be pretty

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rationaluser

Advance i have taken as they have an upgraded version. However, this isnt the point I am making, Russia are obviously throwing thier weight behind Syria here. That in itself should be a deterrent.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

reply to post by OldCorp

While the acquisition of these missiles will make any no-fly zone (in which the Arab League, not NATO, will take the lead) difficult to enforce, even more worrisome to me are the SHIP KILLER missiles Syria the Russians have sold to the Assad regime. ]

Shame on you....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cfad26733c7b.jpg[/atsimg]

RIM-162 ESSM
The RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missile (ESSM) used to protect ships from attacking missiles, aircraft and surface threats. ESSM is designed to counter supersonic maneuvering anti-ship missiles

edit on 24-11-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

S-300 has a number of variations I dont know which ones that have been supplied to Syria, however it sounds pretty pokey to me

"The S-300 is regarded as one of the most potent anti-aircraft missile systems currently fielded.[4] Its radars have the ability to simultaneously track up to 100 targets while engaging up to 12. S-300 deployment time is five minutes.[4] The S-300 missiles are sealed rounds and require no maintenance over their lifetime. An evolved version of the S-300 system is the S-400 (NATO reporting name SA-21), entering limited service in 2004."

en.wikipedia.org...(missile)

edit on 24-11-2011 by TheMindWar because: add info

edit on 24-11-2011 by TheMindWar because: edit

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I know that.

I was responding to OldCorp when he referenced another weapon system altogether.
Honest mistake.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

yeah my post seemed a little harsh, appologies I shall edit

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
i guess this guarantee's a strike on syria. no way the united states would pass up an opportunity to see if they can defeat an air defence similar to iran's.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

It's getting exciting now.

Seems the US is about to learn there is a limit to how much you can push/bully.

Hopefully they resolve this politically and not militarily. I think that is beyond possible though because the purpose of the US/NATO's moves in the Middle East are not for the betterment of Democracy but to gain access to cheap resources by installing a puppet government, AKA Libya, regardless of whether it is Islamic or not.

The deals done behind closed doors transcend religion.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Yeah there's definately a game afoot. Question is whose going to make the first move. This is starting to look very similar to the Cuban Missle Crisis that JFK had to deal with before he was assasinated. Lots of threats being thrown around, plenty of posturing and chest thumping.

Tick tock, tick tock.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar

S-300 has a number of variations I dont know which ones that have been supplied to Syria, however it sounds pretty pokey to me

"The S-300 is regarded as one of the most potent anti-aircraft missile systems currently fielded.[4] Its radars have the ability to simultaneously track up to 100 targets while engaging up to 12. S-300 deployment time is five minutes.[4] The S-300 missiles are sealed rounds and require no maintenance over their lifetime. An evolved version of the S-300 system is the S-400 (NATO reporting name SA-21), entering limited service in 2004."

en.wikipedia.org...(missile)

edit on 24-11-2011 by TheMindWar because: add info

edit on 24-11-2011 by TheMindWar because: edit

Radar is a little redundant versus a country that fields stealth bombers and stealth fighters in tandem with low flying apache and comanche gunships that fly under the radar. Even A-10's can fly low enough and knock out those radar and SAM sites.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
America So arrogant it must fail.
you would have thought things like
Roma trying to take over the world.
was long gone.
but no, america has to have a go.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
maybe it could be that this syrian purchase of s-300's is actually an iranian one...?
just entertaining some possibilities, with no intention of being too serious.

also, with the recent setbacks between usa and russia, it's very likely that the russians could go back on that UN decision and sell those s-300's openly to iran. in the near future.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This system has never been used in combat and NATO has had access to at least one fully set up unit for ECM testing.
en.wikipedia.org...

I would not want to be a radar operator for one of these missile batteries.

As soon a they light off there radar NATO planes will start jamming with ECM.
If they launch a missile then the NATO ROE comes into play and a number of HARM and AARGM missiles are launched for wild weasel aircraft to home in on the missile battery radars.
www.chinalakemuseum.org...
www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

Once the radars have been blown to pieces then followup aircraft take out the SAM launchers.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join