It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Whale Graveyard Found in Chilean Desert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This is cool stuff.

More than 2 million years ago, scores of whales congregating off the Pacific Coast of South America mysteriously met their end. Today, they have emerged again atop a desert hill more than a kilometer (half a mile) from the surf, where researchers have begun to unearth one of the world’s best-preserved graveyards of prehistoric whales.

How did they end up there all in one specific location?

Maybe they became disoriented and beached themselves. Maybe they were trapped in a lagoon by a landslide or a storm. Maybe they died there over a period of a few millennia. Somehow they ended up right next to one another, many just meters (yards) apart, entombed as the shallow sea floor was driven upward by geological forces and transformed into the driest place on the planet.

Chilean scientists together with researchers from the Smithsonian Institution are studying how these whales, many of the them the size of buses, wound up in the same corner of the Atacama Desert.

More than 75 whales have been discovered at this location

Experts say other groups of prehistoric whales have been found together in Peru and Egypt, but the Chilean fossils stand out for their staggering number and beautifully preserved bones. More than 75 whales have been discovered so far — including more than 20 perfectly intact skeletons.

www.theblaze.com...

edit on 21-11-2011 by jibeho because: error

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Maybe CHILE was below and suddenly lifted in elevation somehow. The whales may have got stranded on once below sea level land now above sea level. That would be a fast change though in elevation.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Very interesting article.
I read it on ATS about 6 hours ago.
Someone beat you to it.
However, I appreciate you putting up pictures.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-11-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
There's a third one too. Although I can't find it at the moment. Here it is.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
IF, the great flood happened as mentioned in the bible. That would be one explanation.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
IF, the great flood happened as mentioned in the bible. That would be one explanation.

The deluge wasnt around this time speculated they were land locked but a potential polar shift did...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Very interesting find, cool pics. Thank you 4 sharing.
I wonder if this could be related to an asteroid impact, maybe they were trying to get away from something.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kellerphoenix

opsyps anyway how would they see an asteriod. But if it was 1 that would effect the electromagnetisim of Earth then maybe so the electro waves misguided them..
edit on 11/21/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I don't think they could see the asteroid, but it may have caused a rise in the water temp. that is why I said they may have been trying to avoid something by swimming toward cooler water.

top topics

join