It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I learned in California public school 1996-2008:

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Wait until you reach the corporate world and you can
spend the rest of your life accruing a list that makes
you realize, at least they were kind of right about
Republicans.

Dedicate your life to a corporate world, that not only
takes up all your free time, but it is also aimed at
taking more and more of your money for your efforts.
Then you realize that freedom is actually a synonym
for time and potential, and that your freedom is virtually
dictated to you by the person making your schedule
and the bills which dictate that there is not much
choice but to heed the managers call

At least it sounds like you will like it when the first
Trillionaire is crowned sometime around your 45th
birthday, I bet that is a thrilling prospect!

edit on 20-11-2011 by mastahunta because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Everything useful that I learned at school:

2nd

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
you forgot if two students are talking to themselves in the back in the other side of the classroom, all 30+ students are guilty of an "infraction" and are detained against their will for 30 mins by a teacher that threaten's them with suspension and or a failed grade if one of them decides it is unjust and walks out.

lesson learned- the sheep are never allowed to question authority and must obey unconditionally. you are the future working class mob. you are responsible for the someone else's actions, even though you had no clue what they did. if you stand up to injustice, you will be punished.

we will instil our authority by planting this in your growing brains. so subconsciously you will obey the people in
"charge".

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Why is it bad to teach that Martin Luther King Jr was a great man?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastahunta
Wait until you reach the corporate world and you can
spend the rest of your life accruing a list that makes
you realize, at least they were kind of right about
Republicans.

Dedicate your life to a corporate world, that not only
takes up all your free time, but it is also aimed at
taking more and more of your money for your efforts.
Then you realize that freedom is actually a synonym
for time and potential, and that your freedom is virtually
dictated to you by the person making your schedule
and the bills which dictate that there is not much
choice but to heed the managers call

At least it sounds like you will like it when the first
Trillionaire is crowned sometime around your 45th
birthday, I bet that is a thrilling prospect!

Like our Republican corporatist sitting president?

My son is a victim of public education (remember: there are no heroes, only victims). I wish I could home school him, but my wife and I don't have the time because we're both too busy working for The Man.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equidae

Because he wasn't a great man, he was a great leader. But so were Mao and Stalin (I chose them specifically, BTW. Do some real research on King and you'll understand why).

/TOA

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Infrasilent

Your teachers would not have liked me at all.I am so glad
that I graduated from high school back in 1973.Example of
why I would not have been liked by school staff...
One of my teachers made a mistake in class and I called
him out on it.The classroom got real quiet but I was right
and the teacher was wrong.

edit on 20-11-2011 by mamabeth because: changed

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Because he wasn't a great man, he was a great leader. But so were Mao and Stalin (I chose them specifically, BTW. Do some real research on King and you'll understand why).

/TOA

Is there really a difference? And are you referring to his affair? He still helped push for major reforms which had a great impact in pushing the country forward socially.

I don't see the correlation with Mao and Stalin since they committed mass murder, repression, and cultural destruction.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
You all went to school in America? Not the AMERICA I remember! I was taught to RESPECT my teachers, but if I thought something they said or did was wrong, tell my parents, and let them call the school.

DRUGS??? We never had a problem with them. Sometimes a kid came to school drunk, but that was handled by the teachers and the parents.

Smoking TOBACCO? All (or, at least MOST) of our parents smoked. We weren't allowed to smoke IN school, but we could smoke outside... Nobody cared, except for our music teacher. (It lowered the range of our voices.)

GUM?! Oh, absolutely, NOT!

HOT LUNCH?! We were on our own. We either went to the Dairy Bar up the street, or we walked home for lunch and back, within 1:15 minutes.

SNOW? If our streets weren't plowed all the way to school, too bad! It was up to our parents to get us out the door early enough to be on time. I lived less than 300 yards from my high school, but on heavy snow drift days, sometimes it took me 40 minutes to get from my front door to the school gym door.

I learned to read, spell, print and use an UNelectric typewriter before I ever entered 1st grade - and my great-grandparents had no more than a 2nd grade education in the last decade of the 1800s. I learned to add, subtract, and multiply, too. I learned to WRITE when I was in the second half of the 1st grade. NOW, cursive writing and spelling correctively is considered "elective." (Wonderful thing, this internet and texting with your thumbs...) I wonder if learning to type will also fall by the wayside. We're being dumbed-down, people, not educated.

My great-grandmother was right... we're going to Hell in a hand-basket... But it happened after I went to school; it happened when we started letting girls go to school dressed like tramps, and boys wearing their crotches down to their knees.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

I grew up in the 80's this was sex ed
WE KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE SEX WE WONT EVEN TRY TO STOP YOU HERE'S HOW NOT TO GET PREGNANT OR DISEASED WE GIVE UP

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BobbiSnow1

HOT LUNCH?! We were on our own. We either went to the Dairy Bar up the street, or we walked home for lunch and back, within 1:15 minutes.

Im 24, but when I was in highschool, we were not even allowed to walk outside during lunch. If we did, we would get a day in Saturday school. Plus, they had police in the parking lots to watch for us leaving.

DRUGS??? We never had a problem with them. Sometimes a kid came to school drunk, but that was handled by the teachers and the parents.

I had the opposite experience. Very few went to my school drunk, instead, more than just a few people decided to get as high as possible before class. Every week the police would bring in the dogs and sweep the whole school.

Tobacco? If one of us was caught with cigs in our pocket, we got a few hundred dollar fine, plus a few weeks of suspension.

Oh, and we were not allowed to wear shirts that had a picture or name of a band or musician on it. Apparently, these shirts made people "uncomfortable".

(My school was in a typical suburban area in North Texas)

Edit - Skateboards were also banned on school property.

edit on 21-11-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Great post OP, and I'll have you know that California schools from a 87' graduate of high school, it's worse now, and it sucked then. I fear for the young, but let's face it, I fear for us all now. People in places to know are saying it's on purpose. It's not an accident schools suck, or the economy, or jobs, or college, etc.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

When they do teach that he was a great man, they do not teach that he was registered to vote as a Republican, because when he was young, the Democrats wouldn't register you to vote unless you were white.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Great post! I had a good chuckle, and recognized the truth in it.

Reminded me of elementary school, when I noticed something that bothered me and I ended up making all the adults around me very mad. I still tend to get hung up on inconsistant details, which seems picky and neurotic to some people, but time and time again, such focus on details have provided me with hints that something was wrong and saved my ass from being taken advantage of!

In this case it was standing and saying the pledge of allegience everyday, then as we read outloud together from our social studies book it said that "war is caused by these factors:" (with a list of causes). I think it was the second on the list that said "Nationalism".

I became very upset, raised my hand politely and asked if the school intends to provoke war? Do they like war? Is war a good thing?? Is that why we pledge allegiance??

I got a quick reprimand and no answer. I asked my parents at night. They couldn't answer, but said if you don't feel good pledging alligence, then tell your teacher it is against your religion, and she can't make you do it.

But then I started to cry- religion was number three on the list!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CharlesMartel

When they do teach that he was a great man, they do not teach that he was registered to vote as a Republican, because when he was young, the Democrats wouldn't register you to vote unless you were white.

I'm 23 and went to public school. When we were taught about him politics wasn't mentioned beyond the legislation he pushed for. We also were taught about the Yellow Dog Democrats so everyone (or at least the people I went to school with) was aware of the racist leanings of the Democratic Party. Tbh, I wasn't even aware of his party affiliation until your post.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Great list

Same applies here in Texas!

(as, it also did in Illinois, and Virginia, and Europe (mostly))

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I just recently graduate school from California. I really don't remember anything from it besides tid-bits that I actually found interesting. I found that I got most of my useful learnings was from.

1. Teachers who by a saving grace weren't Jaded by the system.

2. My family. My grandfather he was a teacher himself, and wow he is a great man wisdom and knowledge a double thread. My grandmother also teacher taught me hope and the human condition something that I severely lacked most of my life. My uncle taught me the art of debate and observation and thinking objectively. My aunt taught me how to research and about people.

I always knew that experience is the best teacher. I simply soaked the knowledge of my elders experience and used it as my own.

3. The Internet, books(I read a lot as a kid and still do).

4. The History and discovery channel. You know before they sold out

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars
How is California doing these days overall?

The American national average IQ is 98.
Legally Impaired (aka legally retarded) is 70 and below.
The genius range is 140 and above.
70 or 140 ... Which is 98 a lot closer to?

priorities.

Most people assume the education system is there to give you the best education that can be. Its not. Its in place to preserve the social pyramid. You need so many scientists and engineers, so many clerks, so many burger flippers and so many soldiers. If there is a big military base nearby your area, expect the quality of the school to be less than decent. No need for geniuses here, we need to churn out soldias.
edit on 28-11-2011 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I got one of the few and coveted opportunites to go to public school in the American South, and further my education at the only university in the state with cows on campus. (No joke...)
I've learned more in the 5yrs since graduation from said university than I ever did sitting in one of its classrooms, and my little sister, who got a computer scholarship and IT degree graduated high school without knowing where her period came from, or how to balance a checkbook. She had to call me her freshman year of college to have me explain the difference between a debit and credit balance...to this day she can't balance her accounts without the use of an Excel spreadsheet.

I will probably end up home-schooling my children, should I decide to bring any into this crap world....

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Education has been taken over by liberals whose main priority is 'feeling good about themselves' and turning the ed system into a giant social engineering laboratory - of course they were enabled to do that by those whose intention is to subvert and collapse the system.

Here is what we have in the UK:

David Frost, director-general of the British Chambers of Commerce, said a generation had been ‘failed’ by schools. ‘After 11 years of formal education, employers say they get kids coming to them who can’t write, who can’t communicate, and who don’t have that work ethic,’ he said. ‘And I think we’ve also got to face up to having a benefits system which does not incentivise that many to work.................................................Yesterday, he highlighted figures showing that more than half of the jobs created last year went to immigrants.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join