It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio, US: Mystery Smell Dissipates After Prompting 911 Calls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Source

A pungent odor invaded a local community, forcing many concerned residents to call 911. The smell was gone by Tuesday night, but it lingered over Lorain for several hours Tuesday morning.

"I smell gas down here on West 21st Street and I don't know where it's coming from, but it's pretty strong down here," said one 911 caller.

"I got a strong odor of gas in my apartment, it just woke me out of my sleep," said another.

Lorain firefighters responded to calls from all over the city between 5 a.m. 9 a.m. Tuesday. The complaints are all the same.

"It's a real, real strong propane smell," said another 911 caller.

"It just smelled like gas, it was a really bad smell, and everything, and I smelled it all the way from my house, all the way up to the high school and everything," said Lorain resident Samantha Haupt.

Another weird story.

They found nothing that could explain the smell, so that is a little troubling in and of itself, and it seems like quite a wide spread smell.

Could you imagine being a smoker? 'Ah, can I light my smoke or all we going to explode?' Also, thinking about the open flames around you would panicking a bit too.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Their was a gas line explosion today here in the South where I live.

Gas Line Explodes In Southern Ohio

Still waiting to find out the cause of it. With it being just over 200 miles away, I doubt there's any connection, but thought I'd share since this is gas related and just happened.

edit on 11/17/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
awh man every day i see a weird article about ohio, and I just don't know if I want to live here anymore. But where else? hahah but really wtf?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Fracking is the new wave here in Ohio, and I'd like to think (no proof) that forcing high pressure water into the Marcellus Shale is causing natural gas deposits to shift and find other outlets, perhaps in urban areas.

However, knowing that natural gas is odorless, I've yet to come up with a suitable solution for the smell in your OP. Hmm, need to do a bit more research, I suppose.

Personally, I am opposed to fracking. It's a get rich quick gotta rape the earth for resources scheme. No long term studies to the aftereffects, yet it's getting legislative approval everywhere. Something's wrong with that picture.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
GaS line exploded where I live too the other day! They said it was a backhoe but theyre still investigating.
www.whiotv.com... its in southern ohio too
edit on 17-11-2011 by BroketheWall because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
However, knowing that natural gas is odorless, I've yet to come up with a suitable solution for the smell in your OP. Hmm, need to do a bit more research, I suppose.

Well aren't you just the expert we need...a person with no answers and a answer to nothing...

"I suppose"? What the # does that mean? Are these people below your calling, or do you not not know anything? I really think you know nothing in relation to the subject at hand.

I suggest you stop trying to be an expert on a subject you have no answers to...

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Wow, that's a pretty hot flame.

I had read the thread, made a comment that I had not previously heard of smells in Ohio, related a tid-bit of info, and decided that further research was warranted. I never claimed to be an expert.

I suppose civility is not a strong suit of yours. Sorry you were having a bad day.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by NerdGoddess
awh man every day i see a weird article about ohio, and I just don't know if I want to live here anymore. But where else? hahah but really wtf?

Ever notice how Ohio is mentioned in a lot of movies, songs, or tv shows? Just watched one the other day where the main character was from Ohio. "13" was the name of the movie. Truly, Ohio is full of strange people and weirdness

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by digitalbluco
Their was a gas line explosion today here in the South where I live.

Gas Line Explodes In Southern Ohio

Still waiting to find out the cause of it. With it being just over 200 miles away, I doubt there's any connection, but thought I'd share since this is gas related and just happened.

edit on 11/17/2011 by digitalbluco because: (no reason given)

Yes, this was all over the local news yesterday. Happened in Glouster, Morgan County, a little under 50 miles from where I live. Pretty bad, to hear them tell it, gas was venting into the atmosphere.

top topics

join