It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge orders NYPD that they cannot evict the protestors from Zuccotti Park!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
I fail to see what #ting in a street and living like a hobo is going to do to change the system,

As opposed to smugly sitting on your computer and holding your nose up?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

‎"Hours after baton-wielding cops cleared Occupy Wall Street protesters and their tents out of Zuccotti Park, a judge signed a order Tuesday saying the demonstrators can return with their stuff."

But in a case of one-upsmanship, lawyers for Occupy Wall Street got a judge to sign an order at 6:30 a.m. that explicitly said they should be allowed in the park with “tents and other property.”
Hell yeah! I applaud this judge for actually upholding our Constitution/Bill of Rights.

Here's what Bloomberg said:

“The final decision to act was mine, and mine alone," he said at a press conference. “Inaction was not an option.”
Douche.

I feel bad for this guy:

“That was my home,” said Shane Stoops, 23, an occupier from Seattle who said he had been at Zuccotti since the dawn of the protest Sept. 17.

“You see all those garbage trucks? That’s where I live now. They took my life, all my clothes, my four-man tent and mattress, all of my books and three years of drawings.”

So just whom is in contempt of court here, and why are they not in jail? Why hasn't an officer of the court been dispatch to detain and process all those who are in contempt of the court order?

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Bloomberg and the cops are total idiots. It is no longer a criminal issue. Squatting is a civil matter and for the courts. The city has now made themselves liable for illegal eviction. I hope all the OWS file suit against them for illegal eviction.

If they had even spoken to attorney they would have first posted notice. Gone through the legal system got an order for eviction from a judge yada yada yada. They just bypassed the legal system entirely...kind of like the banks and corporations do.

Protesting is a civil issue not a criminal one. The cops should be out fighting crimes not babysitting campers. I swear we live in a world of insanity.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Zuccotti Park will remain closed pending a hearing on a judge’s temporary restraining order seeking to allow protesters to return with their belongings, the mayor said. Park rules that prohibit camping will be enforced, he said. Hundreds of people gathered around barricades surrounding the park, awaiting the outcome of the court hearing. “The First Amendment protects speech,” Bloomberg said in a press conference at City Hall. “It doesn’t protect the use of tents and sleeping bags to take over a public space. Protesters have had two months to occupy the park with tents and sleeping bags. Now they will have to occupy the space with the power of their arguments.”
Read more:

It would appear that the police and Bloomberg are in contempt, but then they aren't like you and me are they? We know where we would be if we told a judge no!

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I fail to see what #ting in a street and living like a hobo is going to do to change the system,

Wait till TPTB can't wring another red cent from the already hard-pressed, hard-working but poor citizen. Because that's when they'll come after the better off and wring THEIR pockets dry. Then it'll be the wealthy. And before you know it we'll ALL be #ting in the street and living like hobo's, and not by choice either. All except the fat greedy pigs at the very top who want it all.

The difference between you and OWS is that they can see it coming and/or are already victims of it, but you're blind to it ... .. for now.
Look further than your nose for once.
edit on 15-11-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I fail to see that the governments will wring the pockets of hard working taxpayers dry, nor does people camping out raise awareness. If you can drop your life and go and live in a tent then really government spending isnt an issue as I would imagine you would not have a high powered job in the first place.

Things like closing your bank account and joining a credit union, that is proactive and if enough people do it they will have to take notice. Dont like the state or country you are ? move somewhere else, again this will effect them. At the end of the day the system is screwed up, people do not get a say in their government activities, democracy does not exist. However what will living like a hobo, in discomfort and in the cold really do, will it change them, no. Will it turn people against the cause because of the litter, piss and # everywhere, unsightly tents and shelters, yes it will.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

I earn a decent living after going to University, I work hard and pay a lot of tax, I pay for people like 40% of the OWS crowd that are lazy and general tosspots that go along with any cause to make it look like their lives mean something. I pay for people to live on benefits and have kids and healthcare and a roof over their head, I am the 68% in Scotland and am proud of it.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I pay for people like 40% of the OWS crowd that are lazy and general tosspots that go along with any cause to make it look like their lives mean something.

... and the other 60% with seemingly valid gripes, concerns, questions and queries on the whole. (?)

There'll always be a mooching/tick-like percentage amongst any large gathering of peoples.

Why would your focus be on that of the 40% of the OWS 'crowd', as opposed to that of the other 60+% ?

I'd have to think inquiring minds would like to know. ?
?

Personally,
The 'protests' should focus on a singular goal of putting an end to the glaringly apparent and obvious corporate/financial control and/or influence over and in the US political landscape ... from the Federal Level ALL the way down to Small town USA

Money buys Votes - needs to be either aggressively challenged and bridled or eliminated altogether.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I earn a decent living after going to University, I work hard and pay a lot of tax, I pay for people like 40% of the OWS crowd that are lazy and general tosspots that go along with any cause to make it look like their lives mean something. I pay for people to live on benefits and have kids and healthcare and a roof over their head, I am the 68% in Scotland and am proud of it.

Well done you.

What about when the day comes that your earnings DON'T get you a decent living, and you're STILL working hard and paying lots of tax? Imagine THAT.

For too many people, this is a reality now and they are sick to the back teeth of it. And it aint getting any better.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

They need to retrain, do a degree or a course in the evening and work themselves out of the mess they are in, I did it and anyone can, we dont live in countries with zero jobs, thats bull#, people need to stop blaming others and have a look in the mirror.

Ps To the other poster I said 40% to be conservative as there was police and other worker among the original protests, not now though.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

You know, this might come as a shock to you, but there ARE actually a hell of a lot of people out there without degrees who work equally as hard as you do, if not harder, and whose hard work barely provides a living for their families. So what is it? They're not blessed with being academically minded and so deserve the struggle to live in poverty?

We can't all be holders of degrees. And we're not all academics.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Generally I have seen and learned in life that you struggle in your twenties however if you work hard enough and commit yourself you reap the benefits in your 30`s. I am 32 and struggled with debt and living, I worked hard, went to Uni at night and worked my way up in jobs. All I am saying is people sit on their arses and blame eveyone but themselves. There is always another option in life, be it changing professions or re training. I have no sympathy for people who bitch about their lives when they can change it, we both live in the UK, not Africa, there is plenty of things you can do to better yourself. I am setting up a business as well as working full time as I want a bigger house and better car. Im not sitting around saying "I hate the government and the bank for high taxes" I am being proactive, as my father said to me "You only get out of life what you put in" so that is what I am doing.

You only have one life, you need to live it and if you hate your job then change it, I took steps back in my career as I hate the job, business banking was one of them, so took at 5k paycut to go into another field and now am seeing the benefits. This country has become a place that people think the government owes them a home, car, healthcare and benefits for just existing. Things need to change and its not the system its the people. Rant over and good luck to you, I hope things get better.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
one nice thing, if the courts uphold the ruling to let protesters stay, perhaps it will make them able to then sue the city and the cops.
just think about the cost of camping equipment. tents range from about $20 for a tiny kids tent right up to $500 for nicer bigger tents, heck if a pavilion it might even be worth a couple thousand bucks. camp stoves are expensive as well for many models. then bedding and beds. from what i saw this morning i would say that pretty much everything was purposely destroyed so except for some smaller and/or more solid items, i doubt much can be salvaged. any electronics are likely either gone or destroyed. not to mention clothing and anything else they happened to have. what do you think say $2000 per person sound fair?

as for things like art work or other one of a kind items, i hope they can be found intact. i suspect they won't be but we can always hope.

i would also love to see whoever gave the order facing prison time. as well as the higher ups like the police commissioner who should have told them where to go and that they would not take part in this nefarious activity, since they apparently did not then just like what we told the Germans after ww2. following orders is NOT an excuse. the government set THAT precedent and as such it should be used to nail those involved in this. they should also nail EVERY cop that took part in the destruction, fired right off the bat, then charged criminally and let the protesters sue them for every penny they have. they ALSO had a choice to refuse. even if they felt they could not say no then they should have carefully dismantled stuff and place in such a way as so that nothing got damaged. not just go through and destroy. i'm sure some things would be damaged, but if they at least tried to do this then i would have said, just pay for the little bit of damaged stuff, no harm no foul.

what really pisses me off is the way they went about clearing the park. it could have been handled much better. there was NO NEED to DESTROY private property belonging to the protesters. they could have easily left things alone until today. no problem locking them out, that can be argued in future. but to go in and purposely DESTROY stuff, was the WRONG thing to do. they could have and should have locked it down, and then in the next day get some of the organizers of the protest together and start bringing in small groups to collect their belongings. that would have been the RIGHT WAY TO HANDLE THIS. not the wonton destruction that they did.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Good for them. Not that I support it 100%, but I wasn't too thrilled to see them being treated like s**t and having all of their property thrown into the garbage (though, some of it many of us may have considered such)

I think their next obstacle is simply going to be weather. And I'm guessing it's gonna be a nasty winter.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Anyone who supports that bunch is nuts. If those people had any brains they would be in DC protesting the Federal Reserve, who are the American Mafia, and they are screwing us left and right.
So buy a clue bozo.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Yes they can go back to the park but no Generators, tents or fires. The rights of protestors cannot be greater than the property owners or non-protestors in the area.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

Govt won't wring it but the corporations will! That is the point the poster was making.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Toolatetotalk

The injunction blocks whatever City Hall and the NYPD has ordered, ie, tents, sleeping bags and generators can still be allowed in. Until a higher court sides with the city the original agreement and ruling is still in effect.

NYPD vandalized the property by cutting down trees in order to get to the spot so the NYPD is guilty of vandalism which, btw, goes totally against the NYC Gov Green Building and Public Space initiative.
edit on 15-11-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Get, your hair cut and get a job...

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...|main5|dl7|sec1_lnk3|112840
The judge "changed" his mind no camping in the park allowed now. He reversed his decision he made earlier in the day.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join