It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skyrim - First Impression?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I am amazed to say the least. I will admit to being addicted already, the office feels like a prision right now. I may bring my pc to the office with me this week.

My only complaint is the stupid horses which will hopefully be fixed with a patch. Thats one rabid horse to attack a dragon. Hell, they will attack anything.

I gotta say the load times on consoles are terrible and I am glad that I have a good pc. My friend, on his Xbox, is already complaining.

So what do my fellow adventurers think?
edit on 14-11-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm currently left watching it from behind my GF's shoulder, until she's done with it.....I'm too busy playing BF3, when she's not playing, to immerse myself in it. From what I've seen it's goona be a handful. The only thing is the horses look a little fat.....

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I've been through Morrowind and Oblivion, how similar is this one to those? Am I going to have to do all that same old crap all over again, or is this like the difference between Fable 2 and Fable 3 where it's a completely different game almost?

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Definately the best Bethesda has offered so far. Absolutely love the free roam and graphics. Although i only had a couple of hrs to play I am definatley looking foreward to the weekends the wife is working and i can curl up in the dead of winter and escape in this adventure. The only thing is, they could have put a tutorial in for the Abilities, i for one am lost unless im missing an integral part of the game.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I'm playing it on a console, and it's got to be one of the best games I own. It's got some rough edges yes, but it's ambitious and massive enough that they're easily overlooked. I don't see the load times as all that bad really, but that's partly because I've installed it to my 360's HDD.

Bethesda has created a world with life, some incredible story, and it gives a great sense of adventure. Although, for a game of it's size I wish there were a little more variety and encounters with hostile people. I feel like the combat is often far between, and it seems like most of what I spend doing is traversing locations to go find something else to do. It also doesn't help that I've managed to find a lot of "dungeons" and caves that offer only a small room with little or no challenge.

Overall though, it's a great game that I look forward to spending lots of time with. There are little things that make the game seem so very immersive, like wandering through the snow capped mountains and seeing wind driven snow drifts forming in the moonlight. That's pretty intense. The music also makes it that much better, in fact it's so good I dropped $34.95 on the soundtrack preorder!

A major problem I had though is spiders. I hate spiders, and I wandered into a cave with nothing BUT spiders. It was a real challenge to clear it, not because of the level of difficulty, but because of the spiders! Ugh!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Currently playing right now. I am addicted! Graphics are great, I like how you can cast magic from both hands. Sorry for the short reply, Skyrim is calling

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I too have been drawn in and addicted to this adventure, though my mistake was renting it rather than buying considering how massive the game actually is. I never played any of the Elder Scrolls games before but I was easily able to pick up the mechanics having beat Fallout 3 and Vegas. Bethesda really are geniuses when it comes to these types of RPGs.

I like being able to run, dual wield and explore. I think my only complaint so far has been with the poor horse AI that attacks anything and everything.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

OK, FreeSpeaker - just tell me: should I renege on my postion of catching up on my other back games and waiting for a price drop to run out and pick this up tonight?

And can any 360 users let me know the files size, since I have limited space left on my old harddrive for install (I believe about 6.5gb remaining).

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I've been through Morrowind and Oblivion, how similar is this one to those? Am I going to have to do all that same old crap all over again, or is this like the difference between Fable 2 and Fable 3 where it's a completely different game almost?

It feels pretty new. There will be things that are quite similar but they have changed enough things to make the game feel new. I love the new method of smithing weapons for example. I have spent much time just killing beasts for furs. Make the furs into leather and then make leather armors. Same goes with metals. There is too much to talk about.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar

Bethesda has created a world with life, some incredible story, and it gives a great sense of adventure. Although, for a game of it's size I wish there were a little more variety and encounters with hostile people. I feel like the combat is often far between, and it seems like most of what I spend doing is traversing locations to go find something else to do. It also doesn't help that I've managed to find a lot of "dungeons" and caves that offer only a small room with little or no challenge.

Want a huge level with some challenge? Go to Alftand I think its called. Its soo huge and full of badies it tested my endurance. I have never seen such a huge level in any game, it blew my mind. Im sure there are larger ones and that scares me.

Originally posted by Mapkar
A major problem I had though is spiders. I hate spiders, and I wandered into a cave with nothing BUT spiders. It was a real challenge to clear it, not because of the level of difficulty, but because of the spiders! Ugh!!!

edit on 14-11-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Authenticated
Currently playing right now. I am addicted! Graphics are great, I like how you can cast magic from both hands. Sorry for the short reply, Skyrim is calling

I understand fellow adventurer, game on.

Being at work is killing me.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Great game, and a huge improvement compared to the others.

Funniest thing, they have something called 'the notched pickaxe' at the top of the tallest mountain.

Obviously refering to Notch, creator of minecraft, and the one who is currently in a law suit with Bethesda.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

OK, FreeSpeaker - just tell me: should I renege on my postion of catching up on my other back games and waiting for a price drop to run out and pick this up tonight?

And can any 360 users let me know the files size, since I have limited space left on my old harddrive for install (I believe about 6.5gb remaining).

Well, that would be up to you but if I were you, I would go get it. Game of the year without a doubt. I can't imagine what games you have to catch up on that will compare with the experience of Skyrim. GO GET IT!!!

The game is 6gb so you should be fine for storage I think.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
Great game, and a huge improvement compared to the others.

Agreed.

Funniest thing, they have something called 'the notched pickaxe' at the top of the tallest mountain.

Obviously refering to Notch, creator of minecraft, and the one who is currently in a law suit with Bethesda.

Really?

This game is full of fun stuff.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

6.5gigs? I would either free up some space or get it for another console. I have it for the computer, and personally, any game for the computer can out preform any console if you have the right hardware.

I bought Skyrim for PC and noticed I couldn't see any spells, fire, water, or effects. I dug through my dads tech box and found a NVIDA 9800. Works amazing, although the fan on the card is bent and it keeps making a clicking sound every rotation...it's going to heat up and break soon but i don't mind risking it for skyrim lol.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Pure epicness.
Best game ever.

I'm about to make the journey to Winterhold. It should be quite the adventure

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Besides being a little a buggy I think it's incredible. Walking around those cities makes you feel like you're going to get the plague

That and I'm glad I don't have to deal with those f-ing Oblivion gates popping up everywhere.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

reply to post by Praetorius

I dug through my dads tech box and found a NVIDA 9800.

Time for a upgrade friend. Go out and grab a GTX260 or better and play the game on high or ultra graphics. You would be much more pleased with the graphics. My dual GTX580's crush this game and I hope they release a texture pack in the future to shine things up a little for us pc users.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Haha right on. I do need a new one by the "sounds" of it(haha), although this one can run it on high graphics, the fps rate is something like 25, which is alright but choppy enough to ruin such a game as Skyrim.

posted on Nov, 14 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Heads up to any players or future players. KEEP FLAWLESS RUBYS AND SAPPHIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had many and sold the damn things and now need them and must wait for them to be randomly aquired.

Dammit!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join