It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment rate down to 9.0%

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
why does no one relize wile there may have very well been 80k jobs created how many were lost? do they take that into account ? if 80k people lost jobs along with 80 k people getting a job you have zero change , No way you can tell me no jobs were lost last month so now they clam 80,000 new jobs (how is it always a round number anyway? 80000 0r 600000 never 80001 taht right there tells me every one is just picking numbers out of the air .
But hey shows just how smart people realy are lol they tell you 80000 this month 90000 next month and you swollow it like it chol milk . again how many jobs lost? 10k 20k 100k? how many gained 80k say 20k jobs lost 80k jobs gained true job gain would be 60k .
but hey pick the number you like and post thous no reason to try and understand what the real problems or numbers are

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Your linked website has a commentary up, dated 10/27/2011, that disagrees with your analysis and optimism:

www.shadowstats.com...

• Consumer Confidence and Sentiment Sink to Levels Never Seen Outside of the Worst Recessions
• No Economic Recovery Is in Place or in the Works
• Third-Quarter GDP Gain Not Statistically Meaningful
• GDP Nonsense: Consumption Surged 1.7% While Disposable Income Collapsed 1.7%?

edit on 4/11/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

I think you're jumping the gun here and didn't bother to read the thread.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I didn't link anything in the OP.

The numbers I'm citing were released this morning by the BLS. And the link I cited also shows a charted upward tick, that I am HOPING will turn into an upward trend.

Seems to me like there's plenty of people on ATS reacting and not reading.
edit on 4-11-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

How the Government Measures Unemployment

www.bls.gov...

Even the US Department of Labor tells that they can not possibly count every household in the nation for unemployment.

Here is how it becomes easily to manipulate numbers.

Early each month, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) of the U.S. Department of Labor announces the total number of employed and unemployed persons in the United States for the previous month, along with many characteristics of such persons. These figures, particularly the unemployment rate—which tells you the percent of the labor force that is unemployed—receive wide coverage in the media.

Some people think that to get these figures on unemployment, the Government uses the number of persons filing claims for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits under State or Federal Government programs. But some people are still jobless when their benefits run out, and many more are not eligible at all or delay or never apply for benefits. So, quite clearly, UI information cannot be used as a source for complete information on the number of unemployed.

Other people think that the Government counts every unemployed person each month. To do this, every home in the country would have to be contacted—just as in the population census every 10 years. This procedure would cost way too much and take far too long. Besides, people would soon grow tired of having a census taker come to their homes every month, year after year, to ask about job-related activities.

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and since it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940, when it began as a Work Projects Administration project. It has been expanded and modified several times since then. For instance, beginning in 1994, the CPS estimates reflect the results of a major redesign of the survey. (For more information on the CPS redesign, see Chapter 1, "Labor Force Data Derived from the Current Population Survey," in the BLS Handbook of Methods.)

This information alone will show you how rigged numbers on unemployment are.

edit on 4-11-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

I didn't link anything in the OP.

The numbers I'm citing were released this morning by the BLS.

Sorry, it was later in the thread.

reply to post by GoalPoster

Optimism certainly isn't a trait typically found on ATS.

These numbers show a potentiality for improvement in the near future.

Which is being reflected in the numbers seen this morning:
www.shadowstats.com...

edit on 4/11/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Seems to me like there's plenty of people on ATS reacting and not reading.

Actually, before I commented I did read and dug further to understand if this really was worthy of optimism. Do you disagree with the shadowstats commentary?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Actually I do.

They seem to see nothing but doom(a trend seen throughout the site) which is hardly objective.

The reason the unemployment rate went down, even in the U6 stats, is because of the revisions for September as well as the numbers released this morning for October. The numbers have yet to be further revised as more late stage data comes in.

I think there's more to be optimistic about than not.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
if it doesnt fit his rose color glass he dont want it posted in his post .
reality is maybe a few jobs this month tehn 400k lost next this has been the trend the last year .
I could post companys taht are going bankrupt NOW laying off 20k ppl here and 10k there but why wast the time you know the truth as well as i do .
Me i dont bother someone who puts glasses on i just let them alone and know there ahpper for there self delosion

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

reply to post by CherubBaby

I'm just trying to be a little positive here.

Things have sucked for way too long now and I was rather excited to hear this news this morning.

I want America back to work and kicking economic ass again.

That number of 9% is fraudulent. I find nothing to be excited about when you have real unemployment at 17 and the jobs are not coming back.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I swear ATS wouldn't be ATS if the unemployment rate were down.

ATS needs high unemployment, a comet heading toward Earth, a zombie apocalypse, aliens probing your butt, and HAARP to spill your morning coffee.

Doom is like crack around here.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Sorry pal, not buying it. The numbers are so fudged that I really can't believe any source that tells me what the unemployment rate is anymore.

Based on the number of people coming into my office to get their "looking for a job" thing signed, it's about doubled in the last six months.

Peace

edit on 4-11-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

I'd like to see the raw data you're using to get your statistics and make your conclusions.

I understand BLS data isn't 100% accurate, but there are other metrics that have been forming a more positive picture for the last 2 months or so.

It's not all doom out there.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

You sure this is not just counting all the people no longer eligible for unemployment checks?

Also many and I many employers here in the Ozarks will refuse benefits for their employes and even make up fake reasons to disqualify them. Those people do not count as the unemployed because there is no official record.

This is a mess and the coverups are hurting everyone, just look at the applications for welfare and foodstamps, not just those who qualify and receive.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

It's not a cover-up or number fudging if records are not kept.

All we can hope for is approximations.

I have acknowledged time and time again in this thread that things aren't all rosy. What more do you want?

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I swear ATS wouldn't be ATS if the unemployment rate were down.

ATS needs high unemployment, a comet heading toward Earth, a zombie apocalypse, aliens probing your butt, and HAARP to spill your morning coffee.

Doom is like crack around here.

While I do disagree with your optimism on this one, I do not disagree with your assessment above.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I have more than just the unemployment rate ticking down a notch to be optimistic.

Some of the more variable metrics, like the Household survey, which is typically very volatile, has shown good numbers consistently for the last three months or so. Adding the late stage employment data revisions and income increases over the last quarter and there really is something to be hopeful about.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Sorry pal, not buying it. The numbers are so fudged that I really can't believe any source that tells me what the unemployment rate is anymore.

Based on the number of people coming into my office to get their "looking for a job" thing signed, it's about doubled in the last six months.

Peace

edit on 4-11-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

And it may have....in your area....but your area isn't the entire nation.

This is the same as people claiming they know who is going to win an election because of all the yard signs they see in their neighborhood. It's not a very good measurement.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
lol yea project ATS thrives on doom and gloom comets Zombas lol end of the world stuff but amid all that there is a glimmer of the real world and in the real world over 45 million people are on foodstamps and millions 10 of millions of homes rea empty wile people are homeless / Love that contradiction empty homes in the million and homeless people in the million and i am the only one who thinks there is something strange about this . .
sorry to say this isnt hollow earth I am homeless and every seems to think I like it and i want to be homeless.
And i can tell you people LOVE being homeless haveing cops harras them haveing what little they nhave stolen never having enough food nore having anyway to keep clean shaved o yea we LOVE it . why sitting around all day being totaly bord is a way of life dont you know . Once you become homeless you will love it to

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
lol yea project ATS thrives on doom and gloom comets Zombas lol end of the world stuff but amid all that there is a glimmer of the real world and in the real world over 45 million people are on foodstamps and millions 10 of millions of homes rea empty wile people are homeless / Love that contradiction empty homes in the million and homeless people in the million and i am the only one who thinks there is something strange about this . .
sorry to say this isnt hollow earth I am homeless and every seems to think I like it and i want to be homeless.
And i can tell you people LOVE being homeless haveing cops harras them haveing what little they nhave stolen never having enough food nore having anyway to keep clean shaved o yea we LOVE it . why sitting around all day being totaly bord is a way of life dont you know . Once you become homeless you will love it to
DOBBLE POST sorry
edit on 4-11-2011 by xxcalbier because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join