It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychologist admits to faking dozens of scientific studies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DoNotForgetMe

You are also wrong about the pills being updated and doing the same thing, Medication's are changed a lot because some have side effects like high blood pressure etc and they bring out a new pill what doesnt have the side effect.
What would you rather do take a pill a day for the rest of your life or think that everyone is after you and end up attacking a little old lady because you think she is the devil?
Because thats what has happend I know people who were like this before they were medicated.
You say the goverment want everyone medicated? they don't do the medicating intelligent professional kind people do it.
The problem is there is a stigma against mentally ill people and the profession what try's to help them,
If we could wave a magic wand and make them better we would and medication is the last thing we resort to.
Educate yourself about mental illness please and stop talking rubbish.

edit on 2-11-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Another point I have noticed in this thread (even though the thread is not about what some of you are going on about) that a lot of people slag off the Mental Health profession because of fear.
No one want's to admit they are mentally ill, Heck I would rather have my leg chopped off than be mentally ill for the rest of my life.
People will trust a doctor but not a doctor of Psychology because people will admit they are ill in their body but not their mind so if you are sent to a Psychologist an automatic barrier comes up "Iam not mad why do I have to see a Psychologist?"
Its because Mental illness is more scary than being ill in your body because it will change who you are.
Please don't stigmatise the mental health workers who just want every patient to get well.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by satron

Social psychology has nothing to do with the diagnosis of diseases or the treatments thereof. This would be the realm of clinical psychology, psychiatry, neurology, and psychopharmacology. This will hurt social psychology however. From just a quick look at Google Scholar it looks like his papers are widely cited.

Well, how can someone be treated when they need to know what behaviors need to be modified? I know the guy isn't prescribing pills to anyone. But when a person goes to a psychiatrist, they tell them about their "symptoms" which the psychiatrist picks out any undesirable behaviors, for which they deem a certain medication to correct. Why wouldn't the psychiatrist not be swayed by articles penned by these people that make s*** up, when they are expected to keep up with developments in the realm of psychology. I don't see how it cannot effect the patient. This is just one example of a person doing it, do you really think it is just an isolated event?

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by satron

Now then just because this guy has faked papers lets not assume everyone else has, while I do agree we are labeling to many things to mental illness (The area I work in) lets not forget that it affects 1 in 3 of us during our life times.
I see a trend of people going on about the Med's and I think Med's do work it's just a lot harder to find the right one's for each patient.
Also a big problem is self medication and people going on the internet to diagnose themselves.
Just because he is a bad apple don't think everyone else is.
The psychiatric professionals I have met are 100% dedicated to getting people better and do a job what most people could not.
Edit just saw the OP headline and then they guy's comments on med's but my post is still right

What if that person was never really sick in the first place? The mind can be weak at times, and if it is suggested to them that their behavior is abhorrent, they might take the suggestion to medicate themselves over a non issue. How can that be beneficial for them? I've had the experience of having taking some of these medications that I won't have taken had I known the effect they'd take on me and effect they have over you after you try to give them up.

There is a deeper philosophical debate here, but that is just how I feel.

edit on 2-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Social psychology doesn't even deal with abhorrent behaviors. That's the realm of abnormal psychology. Social psychology focuses on how one's thoughts are influenced by others and society as a whole. Some of the most famous psychology experiments, like the Milgram Experiment and the Stanford Prison Study, are examples of social psychology. There's not much, if anything, from these studies that influence the editors of the DSM. Instead they simply provide us an interesting look a human behavior.

As for the second part of your post. If you actually go to see a mental health professional and not a physician for diagnosis then they are trained to follow certain diagnostic criteria. Among this criteria for every disorder are two very important ones. First, the patient must be suffering from the abnormal behavior for a set amount of time. For example with major depressive disorder the person must have suffered a depressive episode for at least six months and it couldn't have been caused by anything like grieving over a lost loved one. The other important criteria, and one that most people on here ignore, is that the abnormal behavior must actually impede with the person's actual day-to-day life. Once again an example. If a person has no problem being a loner and not dealing with people they are not going to be diagnosed with social anxiety disorder as they don't view their behavior as having a negative impact on the life they want to live. The only exception to these two criteria is if the person poses a threat to oneself or others and unfortunately proving dangerousness is a very difficult task.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

What if that person was never really sick in the first place? The mind can be weak at times, and if it is suggested to them that their behavior is abhorrent, they might take the suggestion to medicate themselves over a non issue. How can that be beneficial for them? I've had the experience of having taking some of these medications that I won't have taken had I known the effect they'd take on me and effect they have over you after you try to give them up.

Ask yourself this why did you take them? there must of been a reason, would you have got worse if you didnt take them?

In my place of work we have very very strict guideline on who is given med's, we monitor the people for a long time to make sure the person has to take any med's until we even give them,
We know a lot of the med's make people feel horrid but I have met many people who say to me "yes they make me feel horrid but at least Iam well in my mind"
Unfortunatly Clinical Psychology is still in its infant stage, we just don't know alot but we do make people well again.
boy Iam tired bed time.
Oh and your right there is a deeper philosophical debate here

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

reply to post by satron

Social psychology doesn't even deal with abhorrent behaviors. That's the realm of abnormal psychology. Social psychology focuses on how one's thoughts are influenced by others and society as a whole. Some of the most famous psychology experiments, like the Milgram Experiment and the Stanford Prison Study, are examples of social psychology. There's not much, if anything, from these studies that influence the editors of the DSM. Instead they simply provide us an interesting look a human behavior.

As for the second part of your post. If you actually go to see a mental health professional and not a physician for diagnosis then they are trained to follow certain diagnostic criteria. Among this criteria for every disorder are two very important ones. First, the patient must be suffering from the abnormal behavior for a set amount of time. For example with major depressive disorder the person must have suffered a depressive episode for at least six months and it couldn't have been caused by anything like grieving over a lost loved one. The other important criteria, and one that most people on here ignore, is that the abnormal behavior must actually impede with the person's actual day-to-day life. Once again an example. If a person has no problem being a loner and not dealing with people they are not going to be diagnosed with social anxiety disorder as they don't view their behavior as having a negative impact on the life they want to live. The only exception to these two criteria is if the person poses a threat to oneself or others and unfortunately proving dangerousness is a very difficult task.

Thanks for the help
Iam just too tired now star for you.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I would say that people do not trust psychology because technically it's not a science but a guessing game...yes the same might be said for regular medicine...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Reply to post by boymonkey74

It isn't rubbish or paranoia, it's common knowledge. And I have not said anything degrading towards the medical community's worker bees, it's the Queen Bee that calls the shots. I know nurses and doctors who are as close to a saint as anyone I have met, but their are doctors who have been caught in taking monies and vacations given them by Big Pharma, also common knowledge. My point is nurses and doctors do not have a clue to what's really in the meds they feed us, only what they are told by the Ones making said meds, and the increase in mental health problems, such as Autism and ADD and ADHD is a result of the previous generation from ALSO being heavily medicated. No pain no gain, grow some thick skin and stop popping pills for every ache and pain you feel. That's all I am saying. Not condemning the pushers, just the users. Either way I understand your post, I don't sugarcoat my words, so they are hard to swallow.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
The whole psychology studies now are about what drugs they get to push on us next. Normally anti-depressants, sometimes anti-psychotics or just placebo bull crap. After being on anti-depressants for 4 years and now more importantly, off for 3 years. I can safely say that being a zombie was crap and now living is fantastic. Unless you have an actual neurological condition or psychological condition beyond just "I am sad and depressed." you should not need or want to be on any sort of pharmaceutical.

The fact doctors are payed bonuses based on how many pills of a certain brand just shows its not just for sick people. Any teenager with mild depressive disorders can walk in, complain and be on with a prescription within five minutes. Hell, if you have a kid with autism or asbergers, have fun finding a doctor that wont push pills or treatment.

Psychologist aren't allowed and don't want to prescibe medication. Only psychiatrist can prescribe medication.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by boymonkey74

I would say that people do not trust psychology because technically it's not a science but a guessing game...yes the same might be said for regular medicine...

It is a science it's just not an exact science. And analysis isn't guessing.
edit on 2-11-2011 by steveknows because: typo

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Another point I have noticed in this thread (even though the thread is not about what some of you are going on about) that a lot of people slag off the Mental Health profession because of fear.
No one want's to admit they are mentally ill, Heck I would rather have my leg chopped off than be mentally ill for the rest of my life.
People will trust a doctor but not a doctor of Psychology because people will admit they are ill in their body but not their mind so if you are sent to a Psychologist an automatic barrier comes up "Iam not mad why do I have to see a Psychologist?"
Its because Mental illness is more scary than being ill in your body because it will change who you are.
Please don't stigmatise the mental health workers who just want every patient to get well.

To add a note in what you've said. If mental health issues aren't treated they can manifest physically just as easy as a physical illnes can manifest psychologically

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
If I was him I'd try to play this off as "his greatest social psychological experiment."

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Wow! I would agree with you, but my mother has bi polar type 2. My mother experienced a psychotic break because of mania. She however in the years leading up to her psychotic break; was completely obsessed with disorders and psychology, so that she could explain why her children didn’t live up to the expectations that she had before being "crazy”. However the interesting thing is. In her endless pursuit to find out why her children do not act in the exact way that she imagined them. She only was met, with her insanity. To me! this world is a reflection of who I am and however I define my self the consequences of my ego will confirm, I am only what I believe I am. (For, example in my specific case) If my mother’s logic dictates that her son's are her measure, than so be it. They will be her measure, and when they fail so will her logic. Than what is she left with? The so called existential crisis, (link:en.wikipedia.org...). This can cause mental break down in those who are weak. In those who rely on other's belief’s to substantiate their beliefs. However in the few it actually can prove, that there belief is incorrect and they must define themselves by a new understanding.
edit on 3-11-2011 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I had a friend who was a psychiatrist tell me once that 90% of the of the field of mental health was more bs than science. Seemed a very odd thing for a person who made their money that way to say.

I can't say if that's remotely true or not.. not even sure he wasn't joking... but reading this made me think about those words. What else has been fiction disguised as scientific fact? Makes ya wonder : /
edit on 3-11-2011 by Resinveins because: typo away!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

reply to post by satron

I see what your saying, and I admit the opinions I have are really colored by my experiences that led me to think that psychology, even though a study of the thought processes of people, isn't necessarily for the benefit of those people, and can actually be pretty subversive if your opinion is the same as mine.
edit on 3-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm not surprised, and that's not cute. This is what you get for worshipping the professor. Do it on your own.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Havent you guys heard of the placebo effect? If enough people believe its real it becomes real. Too bad for this SOB he got caught now the whole rats nest will be scrambling trying to cover this up and assure people the scientific community is still looking out for mans best interest and not private and government funded research where one is encouraged to find certain results. Waking up is so hard to do.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Wow. This is not only messed up in the obvious ways, such as deceiving the public and scientific community and tarnishing the reputation of the psychology field, but think about the students who studied underneath them. he chose to destroy his reputation, the graduates who received degrees associated with the fraudulent research didn't have that choice to make. Unfortunately, they'll still probably suffer career-wise based on his selfish, despicable actions.

HOWEVER. I'm glad this stuff is coming out. Actually, maybe this guy is really a sheep in wolves' clothing. The field of psychology is so messed up by the pharmaceutical industry, the biased media including the publishing industry, etc - this information needs to be brought into the public awareness. Guarantee this type of thing happens all the time, and that some of the scientific "truths" we believe about individual behavior/constitution is incorrect.

I'm not saying the whole field of psychological is garbage (talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater!) but that there's gonna be a certain level of bias when corporate interests converge with industry. These systems aren't designed to be efficient and beneficial to the public at large, they exist to make profits. Not everyone in an academic field is motivated by monetary reasons but there's enough corruption for it to cast a cloud over the entire field.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality

Than what is she left with? The so called existential crisis, (link:en.wikipedia.org...). This can cause mental break down in those who are weak. In those who rely on other's belief’s to substantiate their beliefs. However in the few it actually can prove, that there belief is incorrect and they must define themselves by a new understanding.

I had an existential crisis, and it definitely wasn't because I was/am crazy. It happened as a result of recognizing the world for what it was and how much it horrified me, and I had to undergo a very draining process of assessing my spiritual beliefs. I couldn't function normally for a while - but I came out the other side of such a dark time so much more personal growth than I could have in a less "destabilizing" way. Also, I realized that although there is a lot of bad in the world, it's in perfect balance with the positive (if only we'd choose to see it that way!)

I've ended up with an incredibly beautiful outlook on life, deeper connection to the world, and a heightened level of wisdom and understanding of many complex, connected things. It sucks what happened to your Mom, I can only imagine how much it would suck to grow up with a crazy parent. However, that could actually be a gift in disguise if it's led you to deeper understandings of yourself and others because you've lived through them. I just hate to see the term "existential crisis" applied to someone who likely suffered a psychotic breakdown, when there's actually nothing inherent within existential crises that also correlates with psychosis.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jewdiful
Wow. This is not only messed up in the obvious ways, such as deceiving the public and scientific community and tarnishing the reputation of the psychology field, but think about the students who studied underneath them. he chose to destroy his reputation, the graduates who received degrees associated with the fraudulent research didn't have that choice to make. Unfortunately, they'll still probably suffer career-wise based on his selfish, despicable actions.

HOWEVER. I'm glad this stuff is coming out. Actually, maybe this guy is really a sheep in wolves' clothing. The field of psychology is so messed up by the pharmaceutical industry, the biased media including the publishing industry, etc - this information needs to be brought into the public awareness. Guarantee this type of thing happens all the time, and that some of the scientific "truths" we believe about individual behavior/constitution is incorrect.

I'm not saying the whole field of psychological is garbage (talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater!) but that there's gonna be a certain level of bias when corporate interests converge with industry. These systems aren't designed to be efficient and beneficial to the public at large, they exist to make profits. Not everyone in an academic field is motivated by monetary reasons but there's enough corruption for it to cast a cloud over the entire field.

agreed, however it just so happen's the majority of study is backed by people who have an agenda...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join