It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Judge Adams Comments on Beating Video

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Read the link in the OP for further info.

More comments into the situation. Seems the Judge is a family court judge, figures! Also, I think this beating was over internet use, 7 years ago. It sounds to me like maybe he is now harassing her over a car, he calls stolen, so she decided now was the time to share.

SInce this video, the parents are divorced and the children and wife are in counceling.

This girl said she set up the camera feeling the tension building in her house and knowing what was probably coming.

NOt the first or last time, no doubt.

Loser, who certainly is not one to Judge abuse in family court. It's one thing to spank or give some sort of fair punishment, it's entirely another to just go crazy on a kid to vent all your own anger.

edit on 2-11-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
While having been exposed to this for the first time in the past few days, there are a few things that can be stated as to the nature and reason for this. In short, there needs to be an investigation as to the release of this video.

The first question that comes to mind, is what exactly is what all are we looking at. As that will determine what course of action that the state can take. According to Texas state law, this would mean that there can be no charges filed against this man, as the video took place 7 years ago, and there for has exceeded the statute of limitations.

The next question that comes to mind, is how long did this occur, when was the last time that this happened in this household. If it continued up until she moved out, then it could result in criminal charges being filed against the Judge, and his disbarment from the courts and ultimately jail time.

But then again, there is the other question that comes to mind, and this being why post it now, what does she hope to gain by posting this video on the web, why not take it and all evidence to the proper authorities and get an attorney and proceed with a legal court case against her father? After all that would have been far easier than trying to get it on the web, and there would be no questions as to the motive behind her actions.
If he is harassing her, then get a restraining order, as this would have been substantial evidence to point out about his nature, and let another judge make the decision in this case. Even asking for a change of venue if she felt that there would not be a fair trial in the county or area that she and he lives in.

But by posting this video, it also makes her look bad, and raises questions that she would not wanted raised up, as it could be construed that she is trying to ruin his life and his profession, by airing this in public, ruining his good name.

For better or for worse, there still needs to be a full investigation as to what all happened and go from there.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

I disagree with you. I think this was the easiest way to punish her father. He is now Infamous. A private court case and filing restraining orders may have gone no where.

She hit him where it hurts the most, his reputation, and ego.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
Read the link in the OP for further info.

More comments into the situation. Seems the Judge is a family court judge, figures! Also, I think this beating was over internet use, 7 years ago. It sounds to me like maybe he is now harassing her over a car, he calls stolen, so she decided now was the time to share.

SInce this video, the parents are divorced and the children and wife are in counceling.

This girl said she set up the camera feeling the tension building in her house and knowing what was probably coming.

NOt the first or last time, no doubt.

Loser, who certainly is not one to Judge abuse in family court. It's one thing to spank or give some sort of fair punishment, it's entirely another to just go crazy on a kid to vent all your own anger.

edit on 2-11-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

Exactly, and pretty obvious.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by BillfromCovina

No, it's really not a felony assault. You are allowed to discipline your children by spanking.

I don't really ever remember getting spanked. One time I really pissed off my Mom and she tried to spank me and I laughed so hard that she started laughing. I was more worried about being a bad son than physical punishment.

The Texas law that governs this is very broad to even include verbal abuse. Striking with an instrument is against the law. This judge over saw child abuse cases. No special treatment. Apply the law evenly. Lets look at all the cases he oversaw and applied this law. What he has given to others, he should be given.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
She might have been the one getting spanked but this guy had his ass handed to him by karma. Surely he knows the old saying - What comes around goes around.

Can someone imbed the interview video? it wont play for me on the OP's link :/

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The most disturbing thing there is he doesnt know the difference between copyright infringement and theft and hes a judge.

No wonder people are having their lives ruined by these morons.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I'm waiting for Epidsode #2: "Judge Adams beats daughter for posting her first beating on YouTube."

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I'm a bit confused about the stolen car aspect. I thought she was getting punished for downloading files illegally on the computer.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Did you notice that he's basically calling her a brat? He says they got in an argument because she refused to bring back the car. In retaliation she posts a video of herself getting beat by him. If his beatings were as effective as some members here claim they are, why is she still being such a brat (as he basically puts it)??? I guess all those belt beatings didn't teach her much. Either he's making her out to be something she's not (a brat), or getting beat with a belt apparently has/had no disciplinary effect on this child. Either way it's obvious to me that getting beat with a belt like this is completely over the top.

I've gotten some major belt beatings in my life...(watching that video brought back memories) one for losing a school notebook for one of my classes... and let me tell you, it was unnecessary. I grew up being terrified of my father and I felt I could never be honest with him over my minor or major mistakes, because I feared that he would overreact and punish me above and beyond what was necessary. As an adult I have come to understand that I need to forgive and look past his shortcomings. He came from a family where severe beatings were a fact of life, and to some degree he came to believe that it was normal. Although he never went as far with me as his father went with him, it was still much more than was deserved. To some extent it definitely damaged me. I wish I could have loved and respected him instead of fearing him and desperately seeking his approval as a kid.

Ditto here for me too, I had my eyeglasses hidden by my friend as a prank and I had to go home for supper without my specks.
Did I ever get a whacking and then some.
After that night I was petrified of my dad and always was, almost to the day he died.
It changed my life for sure, I can't imagine the effects on a girl that young getting whacked around by a man that large and being insulted left and right at the same time.

Anyways great post and I can relate to it 100% here right down to the" I wish I could have loved and respected him instead of fearing him"
Dusty in this room right now,
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Yes and no, the laws are very clear cut.
Is he a criminal or just a father who was a bit rough on his daughter when it comes to disciplining the child?
As this does need to be investigated, the other problem that has come up, and no one tends to think about this, is that while this may show guilt, is it past the statute of limitations, where he can not be held on criminal charges.
If that is so, and this may be the case, he can then turn this around on her. How ironic, she seeks to get justice and ends up in jail on several charges for violating his rights. And how is that fair for her?
She violated the laws concerning video taping and can be held liable by her own father for the loss of job and reputation, and thus could send her to jail.
So there you have it, ultimately she got her revenge and it ends badly for her.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

No, it's really not a felony assault. You are allowed to discipline your children by spanking.

I don't really ever remember getting spanked. One time I really pissed off my Mom and she tried to spank me and I laughed so hard that she started laughing. I was more worried about being a bad son than physical punishment.

Not to be a jerk but all this time I thought you were a chick. Sorry I assumed that. Don't see men play dress-up with a cat often
edit on 2-11-2011 by isitjustme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I'd like to know how he'd rule on a case before him where the parent spanked their child?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillfromCovina

The Texas law that governs this is very broad to even include verbal abuse. Striking with an instrument is against the law. This judge over saw child abuse cases. No special treatment. Apply the law evenly. Lets look at all the cases he oversaw and applied this law. What he has given to others, he should be given.

To put it bluntly, you are very wrong.

Here are the laws:

*Abuse does not include reasonable discipline by a parent/guardian/managing or possessory conservator if child not exposed to substantial risk of harm. Family Code § 261.001. [Civil Code]

*Parent/stepparent/person standing in loco parentis to child is justified to use non-deadly force against a child under 18 when and to degree the actor reasonably believes necessary to discipline, or safeguard or promote child's welfare. Penal § 9.61. [Criminal Code]

If the prosecutor tries to push it, the common defense is Parent-Child Justification.

Is spanking okay?

Texas law allows the use of force, but not deadly force, against a child by the child's parent, guardian, or other person who is acting in loco parentis. Most parents do, in fact, use corporal punishment (in the form of spanking) at least occasionally, and most do not, in fact, consider it abusive. Experts disagree about the advisability of ever spanking a child. Some say that, combined with other methods of discipline, mild spanking of a small child is harmless and effective. Others claim that other methods of discipline work as well as spanking or better, and that spanking is not necessary. Many child advocates and experts in child development contend that all forms of corporal punishment, including spanking, are harmful. Most believe that spanking an infant is always inappropriate. The law does not attempt to arbitrate between the different views on the best method of disciplining a child. What we do know is that severe corporal punishment can be extremely damaging and dangerous, and this is what the law prohibits as abuse.

When is discipline abusive?

Some parents who become abusive believe that what they are doing is in the best interest of the child and are confused about when an attempt at discipline crosses the line and becomes abuse. Whether an action is abusive really depends on the circumstances of the individual case. However, the following guidelines may help:

* Striking a child above the waist is more likely to be considered abusive; disciplinary spanking is usually confined to the buttocks.

* Spanking with the bare, open hand is least likely to be abusive; the use of an instrument is cause for concern. Belts and hair brushes are accepted by many as legitimate disciplinary "tools," and their use is not likely to be considered abusive, as long as injury does not occur. Electrical or phone cords, boards, yardsticks, ropes, shoes, and wires are likely to be considered instruments of abuse.

* It is best not to hit a child in anger. Abusive punishment is most likely to occur when the parent is out of control.

* Finally, and most important, punishment is abusive if it causes injury. A blow that causes a red mark that fades in an hour is not likely to be judged abusive. On the other hand, a blow that leaves a bruise, welt, or swelling, or requires medical attention, probably would be judged abusive.

Another abusive form of discipline that does not involve hitting is severe isolation or confinement of a child. Many parents use "time out," loss of privilege, or confinement to a special area as a punishment or as a time for the child to reconsider his or her choices. But when the child is tied up, gagged, locked in a closet, shut out, starved, or otherwise seriously deprived, the punishment is excessive and may constitute abuse.

Source

edit on 11/2/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WeBrooklyn

* Striking a child above the waist is more likely to be considered abusive; disciplinary spanking is usually confined to the buttocks.

Source is linked in my previous post.

Get your mind out of the gutter, along with the 10 people that starred your post.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I think this whole case is sad.. To even think that spanking, in ANY form, is better than having a "talk" with your son or daughter is absurd to me..
I have never been hit by my mom or dad\stepdad. Ever.. We would have a sit down and talk about what I`d done.
My mom took away my internet connection, my tv, my bike, my weekly wages or just ground me for a day or two.
I can`t belive that so many belive that its ok to hit a child.

There is a family where i lived where the "judge" in the family killed their little daughter.
He beat her to death with a bamboo stick.
This girl was 5-6 years when the beating started. She died at the age of 9.

Some of you guys say, "its non of your buisness what other parents do to their children."
How can we stop the abuse of children in the only place they should feel safe, when people don`t want to learn the other ways of disciplinary actions ?
No wonder we are heading in the wrong direction.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I don't understand why our country is always so reactionary... It's obviously not working. Until we totally change our approach to these problems and become PROACTIVE, nothing is going to change. Of course the cycle of abuse will continue, bc people don't know any different. Parents mostly use what was used on them. We don't need to take everyone's kids away, we need to start educating new parents or perhaps even before they become parents.

This logic can be applied to almost every social issue we have. It seems very simple to me but again, that's just me.
edit on 2-11-2011 by SilverStarGazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

The law states it is disciplinary when confined to the buttocks. This obviously was not. At one point he also appears to strike her upper body. If it makes a welt it becomes child abuse.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

To me it seems like if you are going to spank your child it would have to leave a welt. Maybe I just get welts easily or something but whenever the lady friend smacks me on the arm for tickling or poking at her ( I don't know why I am always so tempted to annoy her ) I get a welt that lasts for awhile. Not hours but maybe a hand print for 30 minutes. Usually isn't much of a deterrent.
edit on 2-11-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
You never physically discipline a child when you are angry. Never under any circumstances.. if you cannot control your temper then wait until you can calm down before handing out physical punishments. He obviously does not have unconditional love for his child by the way he says his life has been complicated by 'this chid'.

She has a mental disorder.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join