It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

finally after a YEAR without work

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
First of all, congrats OP on your new job! May you do well.

To those recommending coming to North Dakota (I'm in oil country right now), don't. The jobs are here, that is a fact. Fast food jobs at 15 bux an hour, Walmart is offering increased wages, and truck drivers making good money as well as construction workers in the oil fields. This is all 100% true. There are ads on nearly every store, looking for help.

Now for the bad news. There's no housing, thanks to 2 reasons. #1, all the flooding this spring in all the major towns has reduced what housing there was. #2, people are pouring into this state far faster than they can get housing put up for them, so they are using "man camps" made to house men in the oil fields, often in the middle of nowhere. So, we now have thousands of men, from every state in the nation, housed in these man camps for months at a time, without their families, nor female company.

If you have an RV and don't mind paying 750 or more a month for a site with no water or sewer -just power, cool, come on up. I've seen RV site rentals as high as 1200 a month. House rentals, when available, run 1750 for a run down farm house with 2 bedrooms. I see RV's parked in over 50% of the yards of every town I enter- and I see several a summer.

And yes, you can make great money, but trust me on this, the prices have also gone up accordingly in the surrounding stores, as have other services. Even WalMart is expensive in oil country. Laundromats are inaccessible due to the fact that they are now doing oil workers clothes for them, although they do have laundry facilities at their man camps.

At the moment North Dakota can in no way keep up with the influx of workers to work in the Bakken oil field. The jobs are here, but there is NO housing what so ever, unless you bring your own and can handle a North Dakota winter in an RV. If you come up here, be prepared. Everyone wants a piece of that pie, and trust me, they will do anything to get in on it. The changes have come so fast, everyone was caught off guard and weren't ready for the influx of new people.

OP= my very best on your new job and I'm glad to hear your long period of unemployment is over!! I go in for a job interview in the morning.....wish me luck! =)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
I have a job at Walmart, 9.75 an hour and guaranteed 33 hours a week!

I feel SO good now. No more food stamps, no more nothing.
DDD

I had to share this great news with all of you. ^_^ I'm finally SOMEONE again!

edit: OH MY this was my 300th post too! I just realized that. Hehe. wow.

edit on 2-11-2011 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

good for you m8, you can hold your head up and walk proud. all the best in your new job.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but I used to work at Walmart and when I was hired there they "guaranteed" me 33 hours as well, but after a few months I was down to 16. It had nothing to do with my quality of work, just my "part time" status.. Hopefully you got hired on as full time, but I don't believe they are doing that at any store anymore, unless you got lucky.

Anyways, just know that there are no guarantees with Walmart.. But good luck and congrats on landing a job.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Google it. Or do you want a single mom, struggling without a job, hungry kids, on food stamps to survive to survive...to do it for you?! Dude you are beyond scum and thats a compliment in your case.

dude I grow food in my one bedroom apartment because of my financial situation...

if you knew what I've been through this year alone you would slap yourself for that comment.

my initial comment wasn't meant to insult anyone. its just weird to me that someone needs food stamps but has an internet connection. one of those 2 is optional. and it aint food.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowreborn89

Well min wage here is 8.50 in Illinois but I'm in the meat dept which pays the highest (aside from obvious management.) My jaw hit the floor as well but I'm NOT complaining one bit.

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Google it. Or do you want a single mom, struggling without a job, hungry kids, on food stamps to survive to survive...to do it for you?! Dude you are beyond scum and thats a compliment in your case.

dude I grow food in my one bedroom apartment because of my financial situation...

if you knew what I've been through this year alone you would slap yourself for that comment.

my initial comment wasn't meant to insult anyone. its just weird to me that someone needs food stamps but has an internet connection. one of those 2 is optional. and it aint food.

I have an internet connection to work on my Bachelors Degree and so my son can do his work for high school.
Plus, we have no tv, no dvr, no dvd, no vhs player for entertainment so this suffices nicely. I mean, people do not have to be in a cardbord box to have to have help with food. I was begged from friends and family to get on food stamps. Begged. My kid and I were living on Saltine crackers for a LONG time because of my pride.

We have no car, no ac, a cheap pay as you go crap phone for emergency use only that a friend was dear enough to give to me after digging it out of his drawer - he had that thing for 7 years. I have it now. life saver. So yeah. we aint living high on the hog. My kid has had the same clothes for 4 years now. I mean, I don't blow money. Just don't have an income is all. I mean that's changing in a few weeks thank god.

Sadly, there will always be someone judging another. I suppose if I were to have whored myself out or robbed people for food, it would have been better?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Sincere congratulations!
I had to quit a job six years ago for health reasons, and subsequently was put on medicaid and disability due to the expense of health maintenance and hospital stays. Since then I can't seem to get a call back. Food stamps and food banks are something like a blessing to me, essential at this point for eating all of the time.
edit on 11/10/2011 by wakingtereza because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Never mind, y'all. They rescinded the job offer.
I posted about it in the rant section. I'm so shocked and bummed and depressed. So im back to square one, hoping I can find a place that's hiring.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join