It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future of travel: Floating on a cloud?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

The future of travel: Floating on a cloud?

NEWS ARTICLE

A NEW York architect with his head in the clouds has come up with a bizarre plan for the future of transport. Rather than using planes or trains, travellers would float to their destinations on top of a giant inflatable cloud riding on prevailing winds.

(Picture: Courtesy of Tiago Barros)

Excuse the pun, but this idea has wings.
I mean sometimes simple is best, and really why defy nature?
I know that with proper research this could easily be the safest way to travel.

The design would feature high-tensile nylon balloons with a stainless steel framework.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ShortMemory

Very very cool idea. I hope meteorologists get better at predicting weather patterns though...or they give you a parachute!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
That looks like it would be fun to ride in/on. Shouldn't be too expensive either.
Be a good opportunity to get those fresh chemtrail samples for testing finally too.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

excuse this pun also but i guess thats its only downfall...haha well mum says im funny
but if you could get it high enough you would probably account for most weather problems, but i dont think it could be open top like in the picture.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

no kidding, if people got use to the idea i think it would be a lot more relaxing/comforting then planes for most people. research and development would be the expensive part but when you get it right it would pay for itself..
speaking of chemtrails i snapped a few pics of a big one i saw today!

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The air conditions for one would not allow it without air and respiration aid. Plus the possibility of space radiation maybe? Looks cool, WAYYYYYYY too much liability would never let it happen imo.

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
The air conditions for one would not allow it without air and respiration aid. Plus the possibility of space radiation maybe? Looks cool, WAYYYYYYY too much liability would never let it happen imo.

yeah it wouldnt be open top like in the photo.
i think theres an easy way to overcome liability.. if they can design something they know will work then they just need to put the ceo on it first.
it all depends on the development, it may just fall into place and work out.. but at the same rate time will tell if it will ever get off the ground

posted on Oct, 25 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Also how fast could it possibly travel? I mean it is not very aerodynamic either, sorry, I just dont see it as a reasonable form of transportation. Planes work pretty well and that would be the main hurdle to pass also, flight space. Talk about no KNIVES on board

edit on 25-10-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Holy smokes! It's Dragonball time! The person who thought of this isn't named Goku by chance is he?

Reminds me of zeppelin airships, and as cool as those were, I'm sure everyone knows what can happen with those...cough...hindenburg...cough...

Hopefully this one uses non-flammable gases.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
great idea. new york to london in just under 37 days. contact your local travel agent.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
They are called dirigible balloons, or zeppelins in German.

They’ve been around for some time now. About a century, in fact.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
That was cool.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I was just remided of some video games I've layed in the past.

Floating city anyone?
If they made it city like, then you could travel and visite the tourist city... make it a destination.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Another idea that will never come to pass...just like concept cars....are those people on top of those airbags? Really?

Jeez...

edit on 26-10-2011 by amongus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
wow i like... I want to try now...!

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Looks cool. Thanks for the post.

Shame it will never work or excuse the pun, take off.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Hmm .. problems i can see:

- To windy.
- To cold.
- To slow.
- Reduced air pressure.
- Low oxygen.
- Radiation.
- Storms.
- Not wheelchair friendly.
- Nowhere to sit.
- Nowhere to sleep.
- No bathroom.
- No food.
- Nothing to do but look at clouds.

Other than that it looks great ..

edit on 26-10-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Was going to say something similar myself! Whilst it looks cool, how will it cope with sudden gusts of wind and wind direction changes (im thinking specifically of the possibility of the thing flipping over)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think the designer should of considered mocking up this concept with a flatter surface lol. Still cool idea even if very dangerous, what happens if it becomes a storm for example?

join