It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Days Without Food and Water - Mind Over Matter, Is It Real?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Didn't know where else to put this, but this is a man that was supposdely monitored for 10 days, and who had no food or water during that period. Then, there's more ....

And, perhaps some more mundane examples of "Mind Over Matter":

Harvard Gazette - Meditation Changes Temperature

In a monastery in northern India, thinly clad Tibetan monks sat quietly in a room where the temperature was a chilly 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a yoga technique known as g Tum-mo, they entered a state of deep meditation. Other monks soaked 3-by-6-foot sheets in cold water (49 degrees) and placed them over the meditators' shoulders. For untrained people, such frigid wrappings would produce uncontrolled shivering.

If body temperatures continue to drop under these conditions, death can result. But it was not long before steam began rising from the sheets. As a result of body heat produced by the monks during meditation, the sheets dried in about an hour.

Attendants removed the sheets, then covered the meditators with a second chilled, wet wrapping. Each monk was required to dry three sheets over a period of several hours.

And, perhaps one of my favorite examples, since I've done a nice amount of mountain climbing and semi-know what this feels like:

They also documented monks spending a winter night on a rocky ledge 15,000 feet high in the Himalayas. The sleep-out took place in February on the night of the winter full moon when temperatures reached zero degrees F. Wearing only woolen or cotton shawls, the monks promptly fell asleep on the rocky ledge, They did not huddle together and the video shows no evidence of shivering. They slept until dawn then walked back to their monastery

So, what do you all make of this?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

Nothing paranormal about it....as far as i remember he was being fed. Il try and find the thread on it

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
hasnt eaten anything since he was 12???????
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Going 10 days without food is an easy task, done it myself.
As for water, 10 days is pretty impressive but not unknown of I seem to recall. Did he remain perfectly still the whole time? What about room temperature?
edit on 21-10-2011 by AurelioMaghe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

The mind is a powerful tool. I think there are some people who have control over certain brain functions the majority of us do not. Pretty interesting really, though unfortunately the majority of us will never be able to tap into those abilities. Then there is also the ability we all share that allows us to build unusual tolerances through acts of repeated exposure. There are a lot of things going on here. It's not like guys like this wake up one day and pull off these feats.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by wlord

Yup the guy claims he gets all the energy he needs from thin air.

Its complete bs.

EDIT FOR DUDE ABOVE:

Human biology is a well studied subject. The human body is not capable of going 70 years without food and water.
edit on 21-10-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Meditate slowing down body functions - possible
intake before fasting period energy packed but light - helps
minimal movements of 3d body slowing down energy burning daily also slowing down need to intake food/energy
must sit still to lower energy burn potential
body almost considered dead yet higher self AWARE, higher self partial control of 3d body functions from this point so sit.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This guy has gone very long periods without eating drinking or sleeping.

sunyoga.info...

Also check out his pics barefoot in the snow
Edit to add:

edit on 21-10-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I always think about the other practices of Gurus/Yogis such as walking over the hot coals without damaging their feet or the sleeping on a bed of nails.

It is very intriguing and way outside our realm of scientific understanding.

I do know that in the eastern martial arts they emphasize quite a bit of mind over matter. In fact it's half of the equation in that it's half physical and half mental.

A martial arts instructor of mine from Korea, and former Green Beret, made us run in the snow barefoot.

As you train barefoot, your feet toughen and your mind conditions to the point that you don't feel the snow/cold that much any longer.

I suspect that this might account for their walking in the snow, especially if they don't wear shoes most of the time.

Their feet are most likely pretty tough and their mind convinces their body that it's not a big deal....

Peace

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
so he claims....there was a thread about him ....it was proved he had nurishment of some sort.....70 years without food and water...ridiculous

yes some people can make their breathing really slow and build up some tolerances...but that only goes so far.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I've actually have a PDF on techniques that teach how to live without food. Explains the spiritual side of things and how eating and drinkings is so you capture the life energy of the world (given by the sun). Eating and drinking is just a way we can get some of the energy for life. The book goes on to say this is not easy (duh) and really takes a mind set that is tough to get to with today's scientific teachings. I can post the PDF if you like, I just don't remember where I had gotten it. Or where I would put it for you guys/gals to read.

Edit: found the link to the PDF

niejedzenie.info...

edit on 21-10-2011 by occy30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Sungazing is the key. Your pineal gland absorbs sunlight and converts it to energy much like a plant. Thing is it starts to get a calcium shell around it once you hit puberty and becomes fully calcified around 35 to 40 from what I understand. This is from not being used. Sungazing reverses this process since it is directly effected by the light coming into your eyes.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
Sungazing is the key. Your pineal gland absorbs sunlight and converts it to energy much like a plant. Thing is it starts to get a calcium shell around it once you hit puberty and becomes fully calcified around 35 to 40 from what I understand. This is from not being used. Sungazing reverses this process since it is directly effected by the light coming into your eyes.

Ouch, how do you do this without destroying your eyesight?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

As for the walk on coals and nails thing there IS a scientific explanation.
Nothing more than cheap parlor tricks.
For instance, with the nails, they're so close together and so many that the pressure on any given point of the foot is equally distributed, therefore harmless.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by occy30

You start very slowly adding 10 seconds each day. Your eyes get very strong.
This guy explains it greatly.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
What's the longest uncontroversial case of enduring without food or water? I can well believe 10 days without food; supposedly we can last something like a month without food if we really have to. For water, I thought I remembered the typical number being around 3 or 4 days. I can also see this increasing a bit if you prepared for it, as others said, by eating/drinking a lot beforehand and not exerting oneself at all. But even so, 10 days without water seems too long for me to believe.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

I believe it was the guy named "HRM" for short. He was studied for 411 days in india. He took no food or water and on the last day apparently led the team on a hike. There is a study online that was put out by the doctors but don't have time to find it now.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

All entities "feed" from an energy source (or are "fed" by it, unbeknownst to the entity). All energy, one way or another, is light. And light/energy has "grades" of intensity/quality/density. Just because one may not consume flesh does not mean one is not "eating" anything.

Other than that, beware of spiritual hogwash (and the "New Age Enlightenment Business).

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
What's the longest uncontroversial case of enduring without food or water? I can well believe 10 days without food; supposedly we can last something like a month without food if we really have to. For water, I thought I remembered the typical number being around 3 or 4 days. I can also see this increasing a bit if you prepared for it, as others said, by eating/drinking a lot beforehand and not exerting oneself at all. But even so, 10 days without water seems too long for me to believe.
I think the key to the water is the bathing.

The guy says they measured all the water before and after his bath to make sure that no water disappeared.

The devil is in the details. It's impossible to take a bath and have no water disappear, you simply won't get all the water back in the after measurement, so there was water loss.

All he can really say is that the water loss didn't exceed a certain amount, but the water loss during bathing can't have been zero...that's impossible. And therein lies the opportunity for some water consumption.

A month without food is possible, though it's not good for you.

The idea of meditating, and putting a wet cold sheet on yourself, and using the meditation to try to help maintain body temperature and evaporate water from the sheet without shivering...I don't see any problem with that. It would take some conditioning and some practice but I think that's entirely plausible.

But his claim of not having eaten since he was 12 is a gullibility test, to see who is eligible for the "just fell off the turnip truck award"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cfb8bdb77e7d.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 21-10-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
My gut response it to be skeptical. However, if I were to play Devil's Advocate with myself, it is possible this man has ascended to a 4d body, Ala new age and Eastern traditions, and is able through meditation to manifest the nourishment his body needs. But, like I said, I'm skeptical, and have probably been reading too much law of one/ source field stuff.

<<   2 >>

join