It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Occupy' protests at financial crisis go worldwide

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

'Occupy' protests at financial crisis go worldwide

www.bbc.co.uk

Protests against alleged corporate greed and government cutbacks have been rippling around the world's cities.

A large crowd gathered... in central Rome, where there were reports of a bank being attacked, and cars were set alight.

Inspired by the Occupy Wall St movement and Spain's "Indignants", demonstrators turned out from Asia to Europe.

Organisers expect rallies in 82 countries...

...In London, protesters plan to converge on the City for an "Occupy the London Stock Exchange" action.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The editorial of this article is nearer the mark than most, citing "...anger at politicians accused of serving the banks, not the people, and frustration over an economic crisis which has hit the poor and the young very hard".

New Zealand, Australia, South Korea, Philippines, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Spain, Britain. And in Rome organisers are apparently expecting 100,000.

Inevitably the fact two cars have been set alight in Rome is being given disproportionate attention. It remains an extraordinarily peaceful mass movement, and momentum is really gathering now.

The question is, will the real culprits of the crisis ever be held to account, and will the system ever benefit the people rather than the bankers / corporations? Is there a tipping point where change really is the outcome?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15/10/11 by pause4thought because: (more countries added)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

It remains an extraordinarily peaceful mass movement, and momentum is really gathering now.

GREAT news.

The question is, will the real culprits of the crisis ever be held to account, and will the system ever benefit the people rather than the bankers / corporations?

One can hope.

Is there a tipping point where change really is the outcome?

Might take a convergence of natural and synthetic cofactors.

S&F&
btw
edit on 15/10/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
People forget that all of the problems are the corporations. Everyone is a lobbyist. You have big corporations/bank funding for new bills to be signed in for their corporate schemes to have more gains in wealth. And on the other side you have average people losing more freedom more and more. Democracy is a laugh. Karl Marx knew this would happen over a hundred years ago. The war on the middle class is on. What is the solution? Their is no new form of political ideaology that we can stand by! Communism? NO! Fascist!? NO! We need to create something new.

Luckly NWO is just around the corner

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Count Amsterdam in as well, not that busy i heard, but it is happening.

Amsterdam Occupied
edit on 15-10-2011 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

Picture from source:

It's not in english, but I guess you get the picture .
edit on 15-10-2011 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

We need to create something new.

Sarcasm, I trust.

The something new that is the real solution is a legislature that is not the puppet of lobbyists and subsequent laws that protect the masses rather than allow for corporate exploitation. It's not an 'ism' that is needed, but decency.

I'd say the US Constitution would be a good place to start. Nothing new there - except faith that leaders might be faithful to their promises and commitments.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I've seen numerous posts on ATS, all complaining/hinting at/criticising the movement for being shills of, or being co-opted by the Democratic party in the US. Lots of people saying how the movement will die a death in a few days, or become a 'tamed sheep', like what happened to the original Tea Party.

I think this whole thing is way, WAY beyond that now... It may have started in NY, but it's going global, and more and more people are joining and supporting it.

I posted the following in another thread a couple of days ago:

I just signed an online petition in support of the 'Occupy' movement... I can't give details or links, as it's against the T&C here. The reason I mention it is that in the 4 days the petition has been up it's already gathered over 600,000 signatures from around the world. After I signed it I stayed there for a couple of minutes watching the signatures coming in (there's a meter and scrolling text that tells you who the latest signer is, and from where). It was both inspirational and amazing watching the flood of signatures coming in from everywhere. I think this movement isn't vanishing, or getting smaller any time soon

I just checked the petition site, and it's now at nearlt 3/4 million signatures worldwide... and still flooding in.

I can actually see our Lords and Masters bringing their plans for WW3 forward, in an effort to distract from, and forestall where this movement is going... That last bit is the paranoid side of me talking

@ OP ... S&F

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought

We need to create something new.

Sarcasm, I trust.

The something new that is the real solution is a legislature that is not the puppet of lobbyists and subsequent laws that protect the masses rather than allow for corporate exploitation. It's not an 'ism' that is needed, but decency.

I'd say the US Constitution would be a good place to start. Nothing new there - except faith that leaders might be faithful to their promises and commitments.

We really need to begin with your suggestions before it is all too late
Agreed, but I believe these revolutions are a easy way for the NWO to begin! At least a worldwide currency. It would be easy for someone to infiltrate the OWS/Occupy the world and suggest the demands. Having a single demand makes a protest weak, having multiple ones creates strength. Although the media will blast it if they have multiple demands. At any rate someone could come out of the protest and lead the people (by tricking them) into a NWO.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

A move towards a global currency could bring protests beyond anything seen to date. With economic power comes political power - and the people are not for world government.

But today is looking increasingly like a red letter day. According to a poster in another thread there are 200,000 people out in the streets of Rome.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
now, all we need is for Obeezy to bomb Iran and we might get a good dose of people waking up to the bull #.

anybody sense the REAL change coming?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

To give it its best shot it needs to stay peaceful.

Judging by the live pictures from Rome the signs are not good:

Live Feed

Maybe it's a reflection of national character...

[edit to add:]

Holy cow, they've got the water cannon out already!!

edit on 15/10/11 by pause4thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
In Finland protests have been calm and only few participants. Protests are in multiple towns.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

To give it its best shot it needs to stay peaceful.

Judging by the live pictures from Rome the signs are not good:

Live Feed

Maybe it's a reflection of national character...

[edit to add:]

Holy cow, they've got the water cannon out already!!

edit on 15/10/11 by pause4thought because: (no reason given)

The live feed isnt working for me or they aren't broadcasting any longer. Is the feed working for anyone else?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ImmortalThought

The live feed from Rome is showing multiple police riot vehicles in flames, a woman with a blood-covered face, etc. The crowds are huge.

Check out Russia Today for the latest reports. (Apparently Julian Assange turned up at the London protest, where over a thousand have gathered outside the stock exchange.)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

reply to post by ImmortalThought

The live feed from Rome is showing multiple police riot vehicles in flames, a woman with a blood-covered face, etc. The crowds are huge.

Check out Russia Today for the latest reports. (Apparently Julian Assange turned up at the London protest, where over a thousand have gathered outside the stock exchange.)

Puts a new perspective on ROME IS BURNING!!

The Romans know how to protest!!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
From what I gather from my friends on Facebook, there is one started here now in Little Rock, if I have time today I will see about getting down there and taking some pics as I only live about 5 mins from downtown. From what I have seen so far there isn't that many people there at the moment.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

The Romans know how to protest!!

Molotov cocktails are self-defeating. Why should they give themselves the same image as those engaging in police brutality?

News from RT: riot police gathering in Spanish cities + protest banned in Belgium (Brussels).

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
i am honest when i say i truly think this occupy movment going around the world like wild fire will be in our history books
lol unless books are banned in the year 2020

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange spoke to about 500 demonstrators outside St. Paul's cathedral in London, calling the international banking system a "recipient of corrupt money.

www.cbsnews.com...

I've taken a lot of heat lately concerning my lack of enthusiasm on OWS and their Day of Rage solidifies that i can't get behind those people and anyone who supports them.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
It certainly starts to look like beginning of 20th century, with mass demonstrations and strikes. Should we expect WW3 and revolutions too?
Seriously though, if people would remain calm and present their case clearly with patience and wit, something good might come out of this. If aggressive radicals will be the ones representing the thing... Well, owner of shop/car that got burned to the ground might not like what bankers and elite get away with ,but he is going to really hate those whom he will associate with loss of property.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join