It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount Rainier Rumbling?? Let's watch her.....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Mike don't sweat it. You wanna know what feel like an idiot is? Lol. When that 9.1 went off in Japan and I thought Yellowstone blew.

Umm, yeah, I should of just disappeared and made a new screen name.

But live, learn.
And laugh it off when you can.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I got really excited when I saw my Forefathers name Rainier...

I just had to post... ah but I don't have anything meaningful to contribute!

I will meditate and have a chat with them and see if they will calm down and stop this impending doom.

:/

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by JustMike

Mike don't sweat it. You wanna know what feel like an idiot is? Lol. When that 9.1 went off in Japan and I thought Yellowstone blew.

Umm, yeah, I should of just disappeared and made a new screen name.

But live, learn.
And laugh it off when you can.

I love you so much... I just laughed way too loud then....

and I am still laughing as I type this!! brilliant

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Why is a volcanoe named Mount Rainier called 'she'? If anything, it's a 'him'. Though i find it absolutely weird to call volcanoes and other stuff (like the beloved 'mother earth' crap) like people. Not everything bad, not every nature catastrophe has to be a 'female'

It's a thing and i hope it won't blow. Even though it would never affect me here (I'm very glad there aren't any volcanoes near me)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
according to national geographic you have 30 minutes to escape the la-hare that they expect to occur if the mantle cracks,

they fear that when the mantle cracks steam will be released that will hit the glacier and melt it in an instant, supposedly this is what happened 5600 years ago which caused the devastation that can still be seen today if you go visit the mountain,

i've been there, its an amazing mountain.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Update:
I did finally manage to get some UW stations up in GEE at Rainier, and this is an example of what I am talking about:

Not pretty.

The BHZ station dropped signal completely. And the others need help.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Now that's the one that I am worried about, I live in SW Montana with Yellowstone only about 2 hours away. The super caldera is way overdue according to geological history and it keeps showing uplift and subsidence. Since it was surveyed early last century, Yellowstone Lake has moved east completely out of it's former lake bed and into a new one.

My initial worry is that it would trigger quakes in many or all of the subsidiary fault lines that lie throughout western Montana.
Then there would be that whole volcano winter effect.

edit on 15-10-2011 by gamesmaster63 because: oops

edit on 15-10-2011 by gamesmaster63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
www.pnsn.org...

This seems to be a sight that has much information on Mt Rainier. I went to Mt St Helen's 10 years after she blew and was awed at the enormity. WestCoast this thread gives me goosebumps.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Does any one know if Mt. Rainier is creating a lava dome (I think that's what it's called)? I seem to remember from geology courses, that Mt. St. Helens created a pressure lump on the north side.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
and Mother Pele is very quiet.

Meaning the volcanoes in Hawaii are unusually silent. I watch them daily as well as the quakes there. I was concerned at the quiet these past few days.

Just an observation. Rainier is moving and Hawaii is not so much

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The last time Mt. Rainier erupted was in 1882....so sometimes I think...any day now...this mountain could erupt again.

The PNSN (Pacific Northwest Seismic Network) watches over Mt. Rainier...24/7.....however over the past few years their emergency alert systems have malfunctioned.

I am thinking....on Nov. 9, 2011 we are supposed to have the first national EAS test on a new system....will this new system be enough to alert residents of volcanic activity?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the timely news.

You know the drill and they wont say a word on the tv news because of property values.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by collietta
Does any one know if Mt. Rainier is creating a lava dome (I think that's what it's called)? I seem to remember from geology courses, that Mt. St. Helens created a pressure lump on the north side.

On google maps you can see the center of the cone has melted out into a mile or two wide lake. Its been like that for about a year now.

Just zoom in tight with the sat map on.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Some great responses. Thanks especially to Justmike....always good to know someone has our back while we are sleeping! One of the reasons I start new threads when I see pontential risks.

TA....I hear ya. I get so frustrated with our lack of monitoring. As you'll hear at the end of the following video...a very realistic scenario would make it the worse ever-recorded natural disaster in the states, yet the monitoring equipment/program is horrible. Why is that? Why does Glacier Peak, a little known volcano near me, have only TWO siesmic stations, as does Baker? My house is built on Glacier Peaks last lahar from a couple hundred years ago. Both Glacier and Baker's lahars went all the way to the Sound before stopping. Do you know the number of people that would be wiped out when it happens again? I say when not if, because it WILL happen. ALL these volcanos on the cascade range are ACTIVE volcanos. The lack of monitoring is horrible, the lack of awareness by those of us closest to them is even worse and makes absolutely NO sense.

Here is a short little video showing the potential:

Just to give those who are unaware of this mountains size/beauty and potential, here is a piture I took last year from the lookout on HWY 2 near Packwood:

I took this picture just a few months ago from the I5 corridor just South of Seattle. When people say they live in the shadow of this giant, it is not an exaggeration, but a reality. It literally towers over hundreds of thousands of people. WHEN it blows, the devestation will be HUGE and very, very quick. People look at its beauty every day without realizing the potential threat.

ETA: I just have to say, that I took this picture out the back window of my truck (my husband was driving). I have seen this many times.....but there is something about this picture, with the cars and hwy signs under it that just gives me chills. It's a monster.

edit on 15-10-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I am a little disturbed at how out of date THIS list is.

Meanwhile, HERE is a more current one.

BUT...looking at this SEISMO (on the dome) you can clearly see there have been several mirco quakes in just the past six hours.

The above link will expire quicly, so go HERE and select STAR from the list on the side. Also, take a look at FMW. That is just North of Ranier...I don't know what all that is. The weather is beautiful here today. My one concern is if it indicates any kind of melt-off. That is one of the things we need to be looking for.

ETA: Everything you ever wanted to know about Mount Rainier

ETA: LIVE WEBCAM

OTHER LIVE WEBCAM VIEWS

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
After seeing Rainer first hand I hope nothing happens! That would be terrible in so many ways. We have been paying much more attention lately to the earthquake activity along Oregon and California, I wonder if the big earthquake off the Oregon coast a few days ago shifted some pressure off the CA coast up to WA?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I live in eastern washington, around moses lake... when growing up i'd look out my front window of my house and on clear nights I could see rainier. Around here we wouldn't likely get the mudflows, or lava, or anything as destructive as that... we always get "the silent killer." Whenever a volcano erupts in the cascades, eastern washington gets covered in a choking cloud of abrasive ash. In this region all you have to do is dig down about half a foot and you get to a layer of ash... dig down about three feet and you get to a layer of white rocks that are pretty much ancient volcanic ash that has cemented.

I've always both hoped it never erupts and kinda hoped it did... I wasn't even born for Mt. St. Helens, but I always thought it would be quite an experience.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
So we just had a 3.4 quake at .08km depth right at the base of Rainier, followed by a 2.9 at 0km depth smack dab in her cone. I don't like that. (ETA: the depths have been updated to 8.5 and .9 respectively)

MAP 2.9 2011/10/14 23:29:13 46.854 -121.754 0.9 MOUNT RAINIER AREA, WASHINGTON

MAP 3.4 2011/10/14 22:25:17 46.753 -121.946 8.5 WASHINGTON

USGS source

Before anyone yells "FEAR MONGER".....I would like to point out that a this series of quakes in nothing to scoff at. I am NOT saying that she is erupting...not even close. I AM saying that these warrant some close scruitiny and those of us in the shadow of this giant need to pay CLOSE attention when we get this large of a quake in her seismic field.

THIS seismo from PNSN is a good one to see the quakes on.....

THIS is the main PNSN source for the above siesmo plus many, many others.

Here is a screen shot showing the locations:

HERE is the source for the above map....a wonderful resource.

I will be gone for a few hours, but I wanted to alert my neighbors to the activity. I just noticed it and I think we need to watch her.

edit on 14-10-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

Why are neither of these listed on USGS (anymore) or RSOE?
edit on 15-10-2011 by busterbunni because: USGS was cited as a reference but these quakes are no longer listed on the site.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

No, it is not extinct OR dormant, but active. It is the largest threat to the continental US as far as volcanos go.

That 2.9 is concerning, but certainly doesn't mean it is erupting. It is not at all uncommon to have small quakes in the dome...but the 3.4 along with that one is getting my attention.

Wouldnt the super volcano under yellowstone be largest threat to the continental US?
edit on 15-10-2011 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Why are neither of these listed on USGS (anymore) or RSOE?
reply to post by busterbunni

They are listed under yesterdays date on USGS,
I just looked. Also another 3.4 in Washington today.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join